Next Car: Camaro Z/28 or GT350, and why?

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
I'm pretty sure in the next couple of months I'm looking to get a new track toy in the high 30k's and low 40k's..

I've pretty much narrowed it down between the LS7 Z/28 or a GT350 (NON-R).

I'm leaning towards the Z/28 due to the LS7 reliability and potential for cheap N/A power vs. what the GT350 can offer in those same categories. I'm not considering the "GT350R" due to the cheapest versions of it go for $70k vs the Z/28 & GT350 ~40k price with low mileage.

All of the published GT350 reviews I see are of the vastly more expensive "R" model and not the model that everyone seems to own (regular GT350). The car wont be my daily and it will definitely see track time.

Thoughts? and GO.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
770B607B-BF3C-4EB5-A0C2-0DD8DDE1D6AE.jpeg
The GT350 track will drive better(softer on street), hold its value better, and match times of the z28 on the same tires. Above are the times at Chuckwalla, z28 was on the best tire by far.
IMO it also has a far superior interior and sound.

The only place the z28 is better is less oil consumption and uniqueness.

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Tough call. The Carbon Ceramic Brakes on the Z/28 are awesome, until you need to service them. Regular GT350s value is dropping like a brick, where I think the Z is going to Level out. Personally, I'd rather own the Z28 than a regular 350

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
View attachment 1530895 The GT350 track will drive better(softer on street), hold its value better, and match times of the z28 on the same tires. Above are the times at Chuckwalla, z28 was on the best tire by far.
IMO it also has a far superior interior and sound.

The only place the z28 is better is less oil consumption and uniqueness.

I swear I've googled for those times with no avail. #Fail
Thanks for shooting it over.

As far as "retaining value" goes. The Z/28 has already depreciated by nearly half as for it's already a generation old and made in FAR fewer quantities than the GT350. I'm not sure how much more the Z/28 will drop.

The sound part is subjective of course. The real part that discourages me is the VooDoo longevity above 30k hard miles. The encouraging portion of the LS7, as previously stated, is how easily one can make more N/A power on the cheap with cam/heads/tune.

Thank you none the less.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I would opt for a carbon edition c6z. z28 is still a heavy bitch at 38xxlbs. The GT350 is at least a little lighter and newer car (lets face it the z28 is based off a car built in the 2012/2013 era, while the GT350 is built off 2015/2016 era).

For a track slut, c6z all the way, hard to beat a 3100lb 505hp beast. Magazine times maybe quicker in the z28, but thats because its on a better tire. Suspension/brake pads and better tires on c6z and the z28 is not touching you.
Hard to overcome that 700+lbs weight difference unless you're completely gutting the z28, in which case is it worth it because you will not get same resale value on a racecar converted z28 vs a stock one.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
If you buy the Z28 you better fix those heads so you dont have a ls7 paper weight in your garage. I think you'll enjoy the gt350 a lot more, especially if you can get a R.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
I would opt for a carbon edition c6z. z28 is still a heavy bitch at 38xxlbs. The GT350 is at least a little lighter and newer car (lets face it the z28 is based off a car built in the 2012/2013 era, while the GT350 is built off 2015/2016 era).

For a track slut, c6z all the way, hard to beat a 3100lb 505hp beast. Magazine times maybe quicker in the z28, but thats because its on a better tire. Suspension/brake pads and better tires on c6z and the z28 is not touching you.
Hard to overcome that 700+lbs weight difference unless you're completely gutting the z28, in which case is it worth it because you will not get same resale value on a racecar converted z28 vs a stock one.

I can't say i disagree with much of anything that you're saying. You make solid points.
However a carbon edition C6Z is $55k+ and that's more than what I'm willing to spend on a new toy.

Mind you, I'll be selling my current 7-speed 1LT C7.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
If you buy the Z28 you better fix those heads so you dont have a ls7 paper weight in your garage. I think you'll enjoy the gt350 a lot more, especially if you can get a R.

GT350R is C7Z money, without anything remotely close to C7Z numbers..
It's not an option for me.

The heads will easily be taken care of on the LS7.
The VooDoo longevity unfortunately has no such fix from the looks of it.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
The, wait I'm a Ford Fanboy. But. The 350 seems to be the biggest rave followed by a quick new owner dump.
One being, a lot of GT500 guys bought one, missed the power. Second, the massive oil consumption & trashed engines.
Has the problem been resolved? Not that I've heard. That being said, I'd not be in the market for a 350.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
5.2 pass Fords torture test including running a week straight at redline.

As long as you keep oil in it it should last.

It sounds like you’ve already picked the gm. But why sell the c7 for the z28 is beyond me.
The regular c6 starts at 3150 and is better on track just based on weight.

Drive both the 350 and z28 then choose.

CobraKid04

Established Member

This. No way am I touching an LS7. Go to Corvette forum in the c6z section. Countless blown motor threads, due to dropped valves.

R or bust. I think the standard 350 will continually fall in price and desirability.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I can't say i disagree with much of anything that you're saying. You make solid points.
However a carbon edition C6Z is $55k+ and that's more than what I'm willing to spend on a new toy.

Mind you, I'll be selling my current 7-speed 1LT C7.
Theres a carbon edition with 36k miles for $45k in florida. Im sure you can bring him down to $40k, specially since you will have to ship the car.
Trust me man, it doesnt hurt to make a decent offer. I got my S1000RR for a low price. It was used, 1 owner with 3,000 miles. I thought my viper was fast... LOL holy **** this is another league.
Basically I'me sure sellers are tired of tire kickers with no money to show that they want the vehicle. once you prove you're serious then you can barter the price.

Also z28 or gt350 are heavy pigs. You already know, as a track guy weight is the killer of performance. Why not get a C7 GS, that would be a good comparison for a c6z competition. And you get a newer car + targa top. Theres a member here that put bad ass forgelines on his and goes road course racing. Passing the heavy gt350R's! LOL

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
5.2 pass Fords torture test including running a week straight at redline.

As long as you keep oil in it it should last.

It sounds like you’ve already picked the gm. But why sell the c7 for the z28 is beyond me.
The regular c6 starts at 3150 and is better on track just based on weight.

Drive both the 350 and z28 then choose.

Before I bought my manual 1LT (non-Z51) C7 I test drove a GT350 for shits. The powerband felt potent and strong all across the curve. Compared to the C7 it was a joke.
*My C7 now weighs 3,200 lbs (confirmed on DMV certified weightmaster) with 1/4 tank.*

I’m selling the C7 because honestly on these cars understeer is a major bitch even when you go wider up front. The rear end hooks up so damn well but the front feels “floaty”.

That and I low key want something that will be rare on the road. The damn LS7 is somewhat of a badass and durable motor. Tested and proven.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
What about a GT with the Performance Pack 2 option? They have gotten some really good reviews and its not a Voodoo but still a powerful track day car.

Users who are viewing this thread