News: Ford confirms ecoboost 4 for next gen, but only for euro model

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
This recent (and false) rumor claim from Edmunds is a great example of how powerful media can be. I already wrote off a 2015 Ecovertible because of this trash... Thank you for drawing attention to both Edmunds and Road and Tracks back to back claims. I am betting that R&T is a more accurate liar with the US/Global Ecoboost Mustang statement than Edmunds "Multible base powertrain theory".

Even though it's sickening, I can relate to their desperation. There is absolutely NO inside word outside as of now. They could have presented it as "Speculative" and still got hits and saved face...

... I'm ready to believe that Ford themselves contacted R&T to squash this nonsense. A nasty rumor like this could stop some momentum of their new base cash cow.

gap4annie

This recent (and false) rumor claim from Edmunds is a great example of how powerful media can be. I already wrote off a 2015 Ecovertible because of this trash... Thank you for drawing attention to both Edmunds and Road and Tracks back to back claims. I am betting that R&T is a more accurate liar with the US/Global Ecoboost Mustang statement than Edmunds "Multible base powertrain theory".

Even though it's sickening, I can relate to their desperation. There is absolutely NO inside word outside as of now. They could have presented it as "Speculative" and still got hits and saved face...

... I'm ready to believe that Ford themselves contacted R&T to squash this nonsense. A nasty rumor like this could stop some momentum of their new base cash cow.

Great points. I can't stand a lot of the 'rumors' that come out of the mags. They might as well have been dreamed up in some of the editor's dreams.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
At SEMA Ford said the Mustang platform would get 4 engines in the next model year. They weren't specific as to what was going where.

This ecoboost 4 was one of them. So that's possibly where this rumor/fact is coming from.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Looking at Ford's current business model, marketing strategy, and liberal use of the Ecoboost motors, I would speculate that the 2015 Mustang will be getting a 2.3L Ecoboost motor as either the base model or as an option over the V6. The 5.0L will remain as top dog besides the GT500.

I see nothing wrong with a 300+ horsepower turbo four in a Mustang. Taking into account how well the Ecoboost motors respond to mods, that car would be intake/exhaust/tune away from almost 400 horsepower at the crank. Who here doesn't want a 400 horsepower, lightwieght, nimble Mustang for track days and autocross? I know I sure as hell would enjoy that.

Errors courtesy of Tapatard and Samscum
concur completely!

This is the only real info in this thread
:beer:

Look at recent Ford history with the Mustang. When the 94 came out it used the same old 5.0, and re-used a V6 from another model line. It took 2 years to get the lackluster replacement engine, the 4.6.

In 2005 we were treated to a new car, with the same motor, albeit with different heads, and yet another V6 borrowed from a truck.

In 2010 we got a updated Mustang with the same drivetrains, then the next year we got two great motors, the new 5.0 and 3.7.

When the '15 does finally hit, it will have a slightly revised 5.0 and 3.7 for the North American market. The 500 will follow in '16 with twin turbo "Ecoboost" 5.0, ala the Cobra Jet program.

Other motors may follow in succeeding years, but I remain unconvinced that the turbo 4 will be here before Europe gets it. If it won't sell there, Ford may never even try it here.
correlation does not equal causation. you can't compare these specific periods in time while ignoring the circumstances surrounding these time periods.
in '93-'94, ford had a completely different group of executives making the decisions, so the '94-'95 mustang scenario bears no relevance to the '15 redesign.
in 2004, when the '05 was released, the competition was dead. there was no camaro, there was no mustang, there wasn't even an FR-S, genesis coupe, 240SX, 300ZX, or supra. the next closest competitor for the mustang was the RX8 with a whopping 238HP(not hating - i'm a total fanboy of the RX8 and its rotary!). maybe the 350Z, but it obviously lost a LOT of sales to the mustang due to the lack of back seat. needless to say, there was 100% zero reason for ford to blow the cash - that they were short on - on a brand new engine design, it simply wouldn't increase sales in a significant enough amount to justify the cost.
the 2010 mustang didn't get a new engine simply because it wasn't ready. that's it. do you really believe that ford wanted to put a 315HP mustang up against the 426HP camaro SS? not a chance in hell! ford simply couldn't develop the boss V8(6.2l) and the coyote on the same timeline. the boss had precedent because ford hadn't had a competitive truck engine for eons at that point(and because it was already partially developed before mark fields revived it in '06). the coyote engine development was cut down significantly from typical engine development, but it was simply started too late to make the 2009 introduction of the camaro.
finally, the 420HP coyote and 305HP V6 won't need any kind of significant power increase, because the mustang will be dropping 150-250lbs of curb weight over the '14 model. the idea that ford won't change the engines up for the new model simply because they haven't in the past defies logic. it's merely a coincidence, not a reason.

now, applying reason to the I4T, why wouldn't ford offer it? what are the negatives of offering the I4T in the US? the #1 thing to keep in mind is that decision making trends, tradition, and precedents set by previous executives are purely irrelevant in the automotive industry. the entire goal is to make money, and they make money by selling cars and will do whatever necessary to sell those cars.
now, no one is gonna argue that no one will buy the I4T mustang should ford offer it, we all know that there are buyers out there for it, but the real question is in what way would offering the I4T mustang in the US hurt sales? because that is the only scenario in which ford would not offer the I4T in the US market. i, literally, can not think of a single way in which the I4T offering would hurt sales. especially when the direct competition will be offering it as well. and, don't forget that the genesis coupe and and FR-S/BRZ twins are also competition. they are being cross shopped with the mustang right now, even without a 4 cylinder offering, and would only be cross shopped more with it. but, without the 4 cylinder offering, they will lose some of those cross shoppers to the competition by default.

yep, i agree, the R&T speculation is based purely on logic. the leaks have been tightly controlled with the '15, but i have heard from a few people that the 2.3l will show up with more than 300HP(and i'm not just talking 305:-D), further backing up R&T's article. other than that, and some solid info on the design, i haven't heard anything else though.

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
Can't really argue your points about time periods, only the reveal in 2014 will tell if they repeat history in that respect.

As for the I4T, In the American Market it just doesn't have a reason to exist. Doesn't mean they won't be dumb enough to try. If the next gen is only 300lbs less, then a turbo 4 is a crappy option. It won't be seriously cross shopped with an FRS/BRZ because it will be perceived as being too heavy, and the car rags will nitpick this to death like they have with the SRA. Remember the FRS/BRZ twins weigh just 2700lbs, and I would sooner cross shop that car with a Miata since it is of similar weight and power.

Ford already has two very good engines that deliver both performance and efficiency, and they will deliver more of both in the lighter smaller platform. Any revisions will be slight, and far less costly overall than federalizing a new engine into the mix for a car that will show limited return per sale.

Lastly, I do not believe a 4 will hurt sales, just that none will be gained by adding it. Any increase in overall sales will be hard to credit to the 4 since most will buy the new car just because it is new. I think sales have gone up nearly every time the Mustang has had a major redo when compared to the year prior, regardless of powertrains offered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread