News: Ford confirms ecoboost 4 for next gen, but only for euro model

gap4annie

For well over a year now, there have been rumors of a four-cylinder engine making its return to the 50th Anniversary of the Mustang. Until now, it has been assumed that the four-cylinder would be offered in the United States. Edmunds.com is now reporting, after speaking to Ford executives at the Geneva Auto Show, that the 2015 Ford Mustang is slated to get a fuel-efficient 2.3-liter four-cylinder, but only for European editions. We certainly did not expect any news about the 2015 Mustang to come out of Geneva, but this is a welcome surprise!

Just the Facts:

- The 2015 Ford Mustang is slated to get a fuel-efficient 2.3-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, but only for European editions.
- The engine is based on the turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine featured in the 2013 Ford Focus ST.
- Engine output is likely to rise from 252 horsepower to 300 hp in 2.3-liter form, according to company insiders. :rockon:

GENEVA — The 2015 Ford Mustang is slated to get a fuel-efficient 2.3-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, but only for European editions of the pony car, Edmunds learned at the 2013 Geneva Auto Show.

The four-cylinder engine is not expected to be offered to Mustang buyers in the U.S. The small four-cylinder engine will be offered to European buyers as a more economical, low-emissions alternative to the V8 engine in the Mustang, which is likely to be highly taxed in Europe. European buyers who feel that a Mustang should only have a V8 engine will be offered that as well.

The four-cylinder engine in the European Mustang is based on the turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine featured in the 2013 Ford Focus ST.

Engine output is likely to rise from 252 horsepower to 300 hp in 2.3-liter form, according to company insiders. The 2013 Ford Focus ST achieves 23 mpg in city driving and 32 mpg on the highway, according to the automaker.

Ford announced that the Mustang would be sold in Europe last September as part of the company's aggressive product acceleration in Europe.

"You only have to look at the incredible response to Mustang when it has appeared this summer at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, in the U.K., and at the Le Mans Classic, in France, to get a sense of the excitement this American icon generates across Europe," said Stephen Odell, Ford of Europe CEO, in a statement at the time.

"The Mustang is uniquely Ford and has a huge fan base here in Europe. Now those fans have something to look forward to and we look forward to providing more details in the near future."

No word yet on Mustang pricing in Europe.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
There goes my 2015 Ecoboost convertible, the GT350/GT500 just moved into the #1 and #2 spot. My wife won't be as understanding about our next car and it won't be a convertible GT500... She's was a foreigner (citizen now) so it goes to show just how accepted a small engine is overseas.

I recieved a reinvitation email from that site on the 28th of February. Later that day, the 2014.5 rumor was discussed and a few days later the "Euro"boost Mustang announcement. I heard there were 2014's on lots already...

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
300hp from the 4 banger?? damn...maybe gonna step up the v6 also? and the GT....?

Shhhh

Established Member
I liked the idea of a performance 4cylinder turbo model, like the SVO of old. I can't wait to see what SVT will be doing with the new Mustang :beer:

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Its awesome for the Europpean 'cause they will get all engine options. I imagine its an updated version of the Focus ST EB engine?? Dont know. But at 300 HP and a front 4 Cyl, that could be an awesome handling car w/ a weight ratio near to 50/50.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Strange question... Are there changes to a products R&D budget once it escalates from a continental/national market to a global one? If both the US and EU Mustang teams are pulling funds from the same pocket, additional options that are unavailable in both regions could be costly. I only assume EU Mustang's will not have a V6 option making it a North American exclusive as the Eco4 is the EU base car (If it is a base car).

Having two seperate base model drivetrains IS NOT cost effiecient and that extra $$$ could translate into the MSRP. If it were a clever HALO Mustang they could charge what ever they wanted to recoup the additional R&D cost on high level Mustang's (Boss and 500). However, we are talking about a healthy 60-70% of sales will be base drivetrain equipped. Half of those are V6's and the other half Eco4's... Both getting similar numbers in both power and MPG.

The cost to maintain two base drivetrains in mass production will be counter-productive. The Eco4 will most likely need a completely different transmission as well (MT82's might mount to a Eco4... I don't know).

What's likely to happen... The EU Eco4 will be limited just as the GT500 and Boss were at first. It creates buyer anxiety and blind demand because people in Europe shop trends... And people in the US buy what Europe buys... A few years into production, axe the V6, forcing people to buy a nearly 40mpg base Mustang to replace their 31MPG car with the same HP.

If that's the case, Europe is the best place to start a turbo revolution. With the initial fan feedback of a 4 banger Stanger, it's not wise to open it up here.

Let us see it and keep it from us... Let the US market gradually decide while Europeans pay BMW prices for Mustang's....

Idiots.......

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
If it is the eco4 who cares. It will be intended to complete/replace. The v6, which I personaly couldn't care less about. If anything I woupd prefer a healthy turbo 4 over a na 6, but I am not a buyer of either.

gap4annie

If it is the eco4 who cares. It will be intended to complete/replace. The v6, which I personaly couldn't care less about. If anything I woupd prefer a healthy turbo 4 over a na 6, but I am not a buyer of either.

Problem is the report says that a turbo 4 wouldn't be the base model, so it would mean a GT with it?? :bash:

LostPony

Established Member
See post #103 of the "Real 2015 Mustang" thread, I called it.

The only news I see there is that the V8 is being offered in Europe, even Top Gear UK as of a few weeks ago was saying that Europe wasn't getting the V8.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the thread title is 100% false. did anyone actually read the link? the source is edmonds.com, ford hasn't confirmed anything(and they won't for a while). furthermore, the article states that the 4 cylinder is not expected to be offered stateside, in contrast to it's own misleading title(based on so called "insider information"). this is a clue that edmunds doesn't know shit, and they are simply "breaking" the latest "rumor" to generate clicks. their entire business model is based on getting people to go to simply click on their website.
edmunds is as reliable as motortrend, C&D, automobile, etc. when it comes to industry rumors, which is to say that they aren't reliable in any way(on a side note, i'll give jalopnik their props. their rumors are still mostly bullshit, but their last few high profile renderings[namely, the 'vette] were dead balls on). there are a handful of people across the web who have a legitimate reputation for breaking news on developing vehicles, and they are all silent on the '15 mustang. ford is keeping this car heavily under wraps.

in fact, you want to see how incompetent these liar... err, journalists are?
U.S. getting turbo four-cylinder 2015 Mustang - Road & Track
look at that, R&T counters edmunds unsourced 100% speculative rumor with their own unsourced speculative rumor! dig through that article, you won't find anything near an official quotation of any kind, it's all make believe that they pulled out their asses. just because they said that they "confirmed" their information doesn't mean they aren't straight up 100% lying.

See post #103 of the "Real 2015 Mustang" thread, I called it.

The only news I see there is that the V8 is being offered in Europe, even Top Gear UK as of a few weeks ago was saying that Europe wasn't getting the V8.
top gear is not a reliable source for automotive news, they simply regurgitate what everyone puts in print which includes false information. anyone who believes that ford would ever consider selling the mustang overseas without a V8 is out of their mind. similarly, anyone who believes that ford would ever consider NOT selling the 4 cylinder in the US is out of their mind. it makes ZERO sense in any way, shape, or form. especially when the camaro will be getting a turbo 4 cylinder.

Last edited:

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
Looking at Ford's current business model, marketing strategy, and liberal use of the Ecoboost motors, I would speculate that the 2015 Mustang will be getting a 2.3L Ecoboost motor as either the base model or as an option over the V6. The 5.0L will remain as top dog besides the GT500.

I see nothing wrong with a 300+ horsepower turbo four in a Mustang. Taking into account how well the Ecoboost motors respond to mods, that car would be intake/exhaust/tune away from almost 400 horsepower at the crank. Who here doesn't want a 400 horsepower, lightwieght, nimble Mustang for track days and autocross? I know I sure as hell would enjoy that.

Errors courtesy of Tapatard and Samscum

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the thread title is 100% false. did anyone actually read the link? the source is edmonds.com, ford hasn't confirmed anything(and they won't for a while). furthermore, the article states that the 4 cylinder is not expected to be offered stateside, in contrast to it's own misleading title(based on so called "insider information"). this is a clue that edmunds doesn't know shit, and they are simply "breaking" the latest "rumor" to generate clicks. their entire business model is based on getting people to go to simply click on their website.
edmunds is as reliable as motortrend, C&D, automobile, etc. when it comes to industry rumors, which is to say that they aren't reliable in any way(on a side note, i'll give jalopnik their props. their rumors are still mostly bullshit, but their last few high profile renderings[namely, the 'vette] were dead balls on). there are a handful of people across the web who have a legitimate reputation for breaking news on developing vehicles, and they are all silent on the '15 mustang. ford is keeping this car heavily under wraps.

in fact, you want to see how incompetent these liar... err, journalists are?
U.S. getting turbo four-cylinder 2015 Mustang - Road & Track
look at that, R&T counters edmunds unsourced 100% speculative rumor with their own unsourced speculative rumor! dig through that article, you won't find anything near an official quotation of any kind, it's all make believe that they pulled out their asses. just because they said that they "confirmed" their information doesn't mean they aren't straight up 100% lying.

top gear is not a reliable source for automotive news, they simply regurgitate what everyone puts in print which includes false information. anyone who believes that ford would ever consider selling the mustang overseas without a V8 is out of their mind. similarly, anyone who believes that ford would ever consider NOT selling the 4 cylinder in the US is out of their mind. it makes ZERO sense in any way, shape, or form. especially when the camaro will be getting a turbo 4 cylinder.

This is the only real info in this thread

LostPony

Established Member
Look at recent Ford history with the Mustang. When the 94 came out it used the same old 5.0, and re-used a V6 from another model line. It took 2 years to get the lackluster replacement engine, the 4.6.

In 2005 we were treated to a new car, with the same motor, albeit with different heads, and yet another V6 borrowed from a truck.

In 2010 we got a updated Mustang with the same drivetrains, then the next year we got two great motors, the new 5.0 and 3.7.

When the '15 does finally hit, it will have a slightly revised 5.0 and 3.7 for the North American market. The 500 will follow in '16 with twin turbo "Ecoboost" 5.0, ala the Cobra Jet program.

Other motors may follow in succeeding years, but I remain unconvinced that the turbo 4 will be here before Europe gets it. If it won't sell there, Ford may never even try it here.

gap4annie

Looking at Ford's current business model, marketing strategy, and liberal use of the Ecoboost motors, I would speculate that the 2015 Mustang will be getting a 2.3L Ecoboost motor as either the base model or as an option over the V6. The 5.0L will remain as top dog besides the GT500.

I see nothing wrong with a 300+ horsepower turbo four in a Mustang. Taking into account how well the Ecoboost motors respond to mods, that car would be intake/exhaust/tune away from almost 400 horsepower at the crank. Who here doesn't want a 400 horsepower, lightwieght, nimble Mustang for track days and autocross? I know I sure as hell would enjoy that.

Errors courtesy of Tapatard and Samscum

Agreed with everything this man has to say. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread