Newest 93 Cobra "project" arrived

~Ray~

Established Member
buddha93 said:
Because they make an insane amount of power with mods. That and like I said before, I've seen lots of 03/04 drivetrains in various Fox bodies and other Fords, but never a 93 Cobra......something different

As far as the aftermarket heads outflowing the 4v Cobra heads by a mile? Only if they've been ported. A stock 4v head flows 260 @.550 on the intake side and 201 on the exhaust. Far from mind blowing numbers, but a damn good starting point.

It wouldn't be an easy or cheap undertaking, but what the hell. The way those 03/04 Cobra drivetrains run in a 3800lb pig-of a car, I'd like to drive a 3200lb Fox with that combination in it. :beer:

So do 302 blocks, if he plans to exceed 500hp then he'll need a r302 block as stock 302 blocks are only good up to 450-550 hp but the r302 will take every bit as much "actually more" tha a stock 03/04 block.

Your mistaken there, A set of off the shelf AFR 185's out flow a 03/04 Cobra heads as do Victor jrs without any porting & then you get into the AFR 205's Canfields & Brodix who all blow the 03/04 Cobra heads out of the water & all that's without any porting. That's even if infact the #'s you posted the 03/04 Cobras are correct or not "all the #'s I found were from ported 03/04 cobra heads & they only flowed about the #'s you gave".

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
~Ray~ said:
So do 302 blocks, if he plans to exceed 500hp then he'll need a r302 block as stock 302 blocks are only good up to 450-550 hp but the r302 will take every bit as much "actually more" tha a stock 03/04 block.

Uh, ya, I don't think anyone can disagree with that, including myself. ;-)

~Ray~ said:
Your mistaken there, A set of off the shelf AFR 185's out flow a 03/04 Cobra heads as do Victor jrs without any porting & then you get into the AFR 205's Canfields & Brodix who all blow the 03/04 Cobra heads out of the water & all that's without any porting. That's even if infact the #'s you posted the 03/04 Cobras are correct or not "all the #'s I found were from ported 03/04 cobra heads & they only flowed about the #'s you gave".

Your AFR's only outflow the Cobra by 13 CFM on the intake, and actually 11 CFM less on the exhaust. Like any other head, the Cobra's can be made to flow around 320 on the intake and 260 on the exhaust @ .550 with some work.

All this talk of flow numbers is nice, but in reality, if the combination isn't right, all biggest and baddest flow numbers don't mean squat. The fact is a blown 03/04 combination is going to outrun a 302 with "off the shelf aftermarket set of heads for a 302 that outflow the 03/04 Cobra motors by a mile."

Those 03-04 Cobra guys are making retarded amounts of power with Kenne Bells thrown on top and a shot of nitrous to boot without ever taking the valve covers off. I mean really, we're talking about over 700rwhp in some cases. That's basically where I was going when I made the suggestion.......gobs o' power! :thumbsup: Don't even get me started on the twin turbos.

Oh, and thanks for the link Richard. Now I don't have to go searching the net for the elusive 03/04 Fox Cobra. :-D

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Red Turtle said:
How much did you pick it up for? If you don't mind me asking of course.

With shipping + sales fees + car cost, I have about $3900 in it so far.

~Ray~

Established Member
buddha93 said:
Your AFR's only outflow the Cobra by 13 CFM on the intake, and actually 11 CFM less on the exhaust. Like any other head, the Cobra's can be made to flow around 320 on the intake and 260 on the exhaust @ .550 with some work.

All this talk of flow numbers is nice, but in reality, if the combination isn't right, all biggest and baddest flow numbers don't mean squat. The fact is a blown 03/04 combination is going to outrun a 302 with "off the shelf aftermarket set of heads for a 302 that outflow the 03/04 Cobra motors by a mile."

Those 03-04 Cobra guys are making retarded amounts of power with Kenne Bells thrown on top and a shot of nitrous to boot without ever taking the valve covers off. I mean really, we're talking about over 700rwhp in some cases. That's basically where I was going when I made the suggestion.......gobs o' power! :thumbsup: Don't even get me started on the twin turbos.

Oh, and thanks for the link Richard. Now I don't have to go searching the net for the elusive 03/04 Fox Cobra. :-D

You can port 302 heads to flow that aswell, heck there are some 302 heads that flow that right out the box.

Combination ??? This is Physics here you can't deny that. Bull crap my 302 is making way more power than a 03/04 Cobra @ the same ammount of boost & that's with no intercooler & all "off the shelf" parts.

Sure & there are people making the same ammount of power & more on 302's "w/out nitrous", sure 03/04 cobra motors are faster than anyother motor off the assembly line but that does not mean there any better heck ford said that themselves that's why they stopped production of them for any future cars :-D

Last edited:

slow98t/a

Established Member
There is no use in arguing with that moron, Buddha93, he's just going to keep going on and on about how a 302 is superior to a 03/04 32v.

Nice score, Daryl...get pics up ASAP.

-Jason

buddha93

Established Member
Ray, don't get me wrong here. I'm a pushrod guy myself, but remember these other guys are getting it done with a measly 281 cubic inches......with or without NO2. From what I've read and heard though the grape vine, the 3-valve heads are going to be the part to beat. Guess that's why the new GT has them, as well as the F-150's the last couple of years.

The fact is, multi-valve configurations are better than a set of inline 2-valve heads. Thats how manfacturers have been able to increase power and fuel enconomy over the years without sacrificing emissions or anything else for that matter. I don't like itbecause it's more expensive for "hot rodders" , and a little more exotic with overhead cams and etc. I mean really, the 2-valve stuff is like 1950's technology and with time things get better and improve.

Anycrap, I think you and I are on the same page, just maybe a little different opinion on certain things. On a side note, I wouldn't mind putting my car up against yours and see how your twin screw runs with my centrifigul blower combination. Two very similar combinations. I'd like to see how your low end torque runs against my NOVI on the street. You ever make it over to GIR very much? I haven't been in a while.

Cobra 186.........thats a hell of a deal. Whatever you do, keep us updated. I'm sure it will turn out pretty cool. Ever thought of an all motor stroked 351? I'm full of all sorts of ideas.....LOL!

02_Lightning

Established Member
Sorry, I don't mean topost off topic.... but, in reference to the 3V heads, I was excited to get them on my 05 F-150 King Ranch 5.4 and after driving it for 6,000 miles, I absolutely hate them. My '99 Ford Expedition has the 2V 5.4 and it will walk all over the new 5.4 3V. The new engine may be better for pulling, but it has absolutely no low end grunt. It feels like a lead slug when trying to merge onto the freeway. The Expedition has much more acceleration, so I have been driving it regularly. Also, the new 3V engine has so far had much worse gas mileage than the 2V engine in my Expedition.
Sorry all of that was way off topic.

buddha93

Established Member
LOL! If anyone got off topic, it was me. Too bad about that 5.4 with the 3V. I ave a 99' F-150 and was a little jealous when the 3V's came out. I guess not anymore!

~Ray~

Established Member
buddha93 said:
Ray, don't get me wrong here. I'm a pushrod guy myself, but remember these other guys are getting it done with a measly 281 cubic inches......with or without NO2. From what I've read and heard though the grape vine, the 3-valve heads are going to be the part to beat. Guess that's why the new GT has them, as well as the F-150's the last couple of years.

The fact is, multi-valve configurations are better than a set of inline 2-valve heads. Thats how manfacturers have been able to increase power and fuel enconomy over the years without sacrificing emissions or anything else for that matter. I don't like itbecause it's more expensive for "hot rodders" , and a little more exotic with overhead cams and etc. I mean really, the 2-valve stuff is like 1950's technology and with time things get better and improve.

Anycrap, I think you and I are on the same page, just maybe a little different opinion on certain things. On a side note, I wouldn't mind putting my car up against yours and see how your twin screw runs with my centrifigul blower combination. Two very similar combinations. I'd like to see how your low end torque runs against my NOVI on the street. You ever make it over to GIR very much? I haven't been in a while.

Cobra 186.........thats a hell of a deal. Whatever you do, keep us updated. I'm sure it will turn out pretty cool. Ever thought of an all motor stroked 351? I'm full of all sorts of ideas.....LOL!

All I was saying was a 03/04 cobra motor is not superior to a pushrod motor, sure a 03/04 cobra motor is better off the assembly line but if he's going to go through all the trouble of that he can easily purchase a set of heads & a blower that will make a 302 motor perform just as good "if not better" than a 03/04 cobra motor easily & save him alot of trouble & get more torque that's all.

SVT1993

Established Member
02_Lightning said:
Sorry, I don't mean topost off topic.... but, in reference to the 3V heads, I was excited to get them on my 05 F-150 King Ranch 5.4 and after driving it for 6,000 miles, I absolutely hate them. My '99 Ford Expedition has the 2V 5.4 and it will walk all over the new 5.4 3V. The new engine may be better for pulling, but it has absolutely no low end grunt. It feels like a lead slug when trying to merge onto the freeway. The Expedition has much more acceleration, so I have been driving it regularly. Also, the new 3V engine has so far had much worse gas mileage than the 2V engine in my Expedition.
Sorry all of that was way off topic.

I've got a 04 F-150 with the 3V, had a 97 4.6 2V F-150 before that, and my wife has a 98 5.4 2V in the Expedition.

I like the power on the 2004 3V, it has a lot of tourque down low, although it doesn't feel like it is coming on all at once like the 5.4 2V. It is a lot more comfortable truck to drive and the drive by wire throttle pedal is way different. I think these 2 things alone contribute to your feeling that it is slow (or a slug).

Sorry for the way off topic as well.

I think that 03 cobra motor in the 93 cobra looks like a pig forsure! :bash: And it's an automatic to boot :shrug: Definately a Drag car now.

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I have the 04' Fi50 and the thing will drop both rear tires when I plant the throttle.

It has great pulling power, its just geared differently than the 2v version.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Here's #621 Red, Black Cloth, Sunroof

MVC-017S.jpg

picture is not the best quality but you get the idea

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
cobra186 said:
Here's #621 Red, Black Cloth, Sunroof

MVC-017S.jpg

picture is not the best quality but you get the idea
Now why do you have to piss me off like that, when you know damn well I want the red/black Cobra ?

I mean damn im starting to hate you and all the Snakes you have around!

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
now, now...... I have been trying to find pictures of all present and past 93 Cobras... some nice some not so nice. I have found 12 of 31 93 Cobras so far. I'm going to start a new thread to post them as I find'em

Users who are viewing this thread