Newbie Questions on 96 Cobra

rowekmr

Established Member
Hello
i just picked up a mystic colored 96 Cobra that appears all original and stock. It had a frontal collision so need front grill insert, airbags, headlights and possibly hood. My hood is damaged at front and is fiberglass. Were the original hoods fiberglass? Which gear is standard for the rear end? Any common weaknesses or issues?

Thanks

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Welcome aboard, yes the stock hoods are fiberglass. They came with a 3.27 gear stock. Guys like myself with superchargers are fine up to 450-500 hp with a safe tune. But with an aggressive tune its a ticking time bomb.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The T45 has weak shift forks. Make sure the car has an aftermarket shifter with shift stops or you will be looking at a big transmission problem. If it crunches when shifting from 1st to second at high RPMs, it is already too late.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
look for signs the cooling TSB has been done. is the grille or was the grille still in it...count the number of fins on the a/c condenser.

Rick98Z

Established Member
Congrats on the mystic although you will find it is stupid expensive to repaint! I also have one and have roof rust so I need paint bad!

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
good painter should have no problem with matching and painting. guy here locally has done it and said it is an urban legend.

rowekmr

Established Member
It's looks like I will only need to replace the lights and straighten out the radiator support. The only body damage is the front hood is slightly crimped. I didn't know they were fiberglass from factory. Should I have a shop repair the hood or are there replacement available for that year? I'm going to get an est on painting this or replacement this week.

Users who are viewing this thread