Newbie Blower Question (Search Failed Me After 4 Pages)

cpsmith516

Established Member
What is the largest twin screw that will fit and still retain the stock hood, with and without cutting the support bracing?

ctgreddy

Established Member
I believe both the whipple 3.4 and lysholm 3.3 fit under the stock hoods, I believe only without the insulator tho. And you're not gonna want any bigger of a blower than that.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I think you have to shim the K-member down if you want to get a 3.4 to fit under the stock hood.

For most street applications I think the 2.3 and the 2.9 is the best blower to run pump gas.

TRBO VNM

Yup, 3.4 whipple you have to shim the kmember or notch the hood.

The 3.3 Lysholm you don't have to do anything. I just finished an install with svt4me on his car.

cpsmith516

Established Member
Is your motor stock and what are your goals?

The car is still bone stock. I was fortunate enough to find an untouched Termi. I've had it for just over a year and finally looking to do some tinkering. My goals for the car are for it to still remain a fun car friday driver and weekend play toy. Not looking to make a race car by any means, but definitely want to have a little fun.

TRBO VNM

The car is still bone stock. I was fortunate enough to find an untouched Termi. I've had it for just over a year and finally looking to do some tinkering. My goals for the car are for it to still remain a fun car friday driver and weekend play toy. Not looking to make a race car by any means, but definitely want to have a little fun.

Then do not go with the biggest blower. The larger the blower, the more boost you need to run for it to really shine. There are efficiency ranges of all these blowers and bigger is not always better. It depends on what you are looking to do with the car.

Based on what you posted above, the Whipple 2.3, 2.3 TVS or maybe the Whipple 2.9 would be your best choices. you start going 3.3 and 3.4, you need to start running 20+lb to really use the blower and see the performance gains. And running that kind of boost requires a lot of other things you need to consider. The 2.9 might even bit just a bit on the larger side than you need.

Running a blower that shines in the 17-20# range is what you should be looking for.

cpsmith516

Established Member
Then do not go with the biggest blower. The larger the blower, the more boost you need to run for it to really shine. There are efficiency ranges of all these blowers and bigger is not always better. It depends on what you are looking to do with the car.

Based on what you posted above, the Whipple 2.3, 2.3 TVS or maybe the Whipple 2.9 would be your best choices. you start going 3.3 and 3.4, you need to start running 20+lb to really use the blower and see the performance gains. And running that kind of boost requires a lot of other things you need to consider. The 2.9 might even bit just a bit on the larger side than you need.

Running a blower that shines in the 17-20# range is what you should be looking for.

My intent is to do all of the supporting mods to go along with the blower. I already have a heat exchanger, and surge tank. Looking to buy fuel system next, just trying to decide what blower so I know how big to buy fuel for. When we tear it apart for the blower, it will be getting cams at the same time. Having said all of that, 20+psi wouldn't be a problem for me, as long as it is still fun on the street and isn't turned into a track or dyno queen.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
My intent is to do all of the supporting mods to go along with the blower. I already have a heat exchanger, and surge tank. Looking to buy fuel system next, just trying to decide what blower so I know how big to buy fuel for. When we tear it apart for the blower, it will be getting cams at the same time. Having said all of that, 20+psi wouldn't be a problem for me, as long as it is still fun on the street and isn't turned into a track or dyno queen.

Over 20lbs you are going to need race gas or e85
With my VMP TVS 2.3 on VP110 I made 699/668
On e85 I made 720/680 and ran a 10.05 at BG.
The TVS comes with the Monster inlet standard.
On the e85 tune the 315 Nitto DRs don't stand a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread