New York trip - What to do?

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I see some good ideas being given in the New Orleans thread so I figured I may as well take advantage of what people can recommend.

I will be in New York for five days in December for my first trip there. We will basically have three full days to do whatever we want. Obviously we want to visit Central Park and Times Square, but beyond that I am open to anything really. I don't really have a burning desire to see the Statue of Liberty up close, so I think I can skip that.

We will be staying at the Refinery Hotel

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
I hated times Square. Talk about an endless sea of people way to close for comfort. Central Park for sure and we really enjoyed chelsea and the high line. Probably our favorite part. We also really enjoyed the Smith on the lower east side for brunch. And if you are down in that area even if you don't have a desire to see the statue, battery park is pretty neat. We wanted to but never made it to the memorial. There are so many things to do there it's ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Buy your tickets in advance if you want to go to the 9/11 memorial and museum.
I have been to NYC probably 40 or more times. Sometime spending the entire summer with family.

I don't know what your interest are so I'll suggest the things I have enjoyed.

Times square late at night. The street performers are at their best at that time.
Museum of Modern Art.
American Museum of Natural History.
Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum.
Grand Central Station
Little Italy
Chinatown

If you love good food there are thousands of options.
These are some of my favorites.
None of these are inexpensive.
Gotham Bar and Grill
Gramercy Tavern.
Jean Georges
Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn
Estiatorio Milos (Greek Seafood)

For more reasonably priced yet excellent Greek food go to Astoria Queens
Telly's Taverna has some of the best grilled octopus I've ever tasted.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
^^^ good info there.

Empire State is good also. If lines are nuts, PAY the VIP. Was probably the best $125 I have ever spent. Family of four, totally hacks the entire line.

oldmodman

Established Member
Since it will be close to Christmas you should go window shopping (if the wife is along). The auto mated window displays are really supposed to be something to see during the Holidays. Ice skating at Rockefeller Center.
Set off fireworks in Central Park.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Ive been 3 or 4 times. I agree with everything thumprrr said and ill add Madame Tussauds wax museum, Rockefeller center to see the big tree, Trump tower and Wall street.

LightningLou

Established Member
Katz Deli, L&B Spumoni garden for pizza.

Pastrami reuben from Katz ftw! Just had my first one the other day when I was up there visiting family for Thanksgiving. I swear that thing weighed like 5 pounds and I devoured it in like 5 minutes it was soo good! Ranger games are always pretty fun too even when they get raped by the Penguins at home lol

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Times Square is cool but not for everybody. You're talking about hoards of people, shoulder to shoulder, especially around the eastern sidewalk by McDonald's. I like it for taking pics on the red steps. That and you can get deals on Broadway shows.

The Empire State building is cool also but I prefer the Top of the Rock. And the Top of the 1 World TC over that. You could also catch a Yankee/Mets game, Coney Island (overrated imo), walk or bike the Brooklyn Bridge, hangout at Brooklyn Bridge Park (great shots of the city), Statue of Liberty, Lombardi's Pizza (the 1st pizza shop), Radio City Music Hall. There're loads of things to do at Central Park. I enjoy taking pics of popular movie spots. Bow Bridge, Bethesda Fountain, Strawberry Fields, as well as the Museum from Night of the Museum, Washington Square Park, Grand Central Station.

I'm sure there are more than I can't think of right now.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
IMG_2578.JPG

nxhappy

Established Member
god....that place destroyed me in 2 days LOL ....so much to do and see

for me the best was: 9.11 memorial, empire state bldg, the rock, central park, statue of lib, wall street . wear good comfy shoes made for walking ! also buy a pass for the metro, put like 40 bux on it

Users who are viewing this thread