New Whipple 2.9L Crusher Gen4

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Not to answer for OP but go turbo if you can afford it. The overall power gains and what you can do with turbo cars, like tuning and software, don't compare to blower cars.
Trust me, I would rather just go turbo at this point. The divorce is kind of messing with my funding though. Damn it.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Trust me, I would rather just go turbo at this point. The divorce is kind of messing with my funding though. Damn it.

I hear ya. Not in the divorce department but it takes some serious coin to play with the big boys. Almost 800 hp on a stock motor with a blower upgrades and some other stuff seems worth it to me at this point.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I hear ya. Not in the divorce department but it takes some serious coin to play with the big boys. Almost 800 hp on a stock motor with a blower upgrades and some other stuff seems worth it to me at this point.
800 wheel is more than enough for 9 second et's while keeping it a stick too :)

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
That's my goal, to see how far I can go on the stick and the blower. That damn Minion car has me drooling

Yeah, I have a friend that races in stick shift classes. He has been 9.02@165. We met Yandro a couple of years ago at the BG NMRA event. He touched 8.90s then. Bunch of low to mid 9 second stick cars there that year. Try and find Taylor Baker and his black 03/04 Cobra. I believe he has been 8.24 with a stick in his car.
Shortridge with his twin turbo, IRS, 04 Cobra was another quick one. Rick with his black vert has been 9.3x's with a TVS. I just want a 9 second slip once I get things together. I'm sure it will be tough, just like the 10s eluded me for a full season, then were the norm.
Glad to see blower companies putting in an effort to improve on their parts for our cars.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea these guys give me confidence. I'm trying to get mine done for NMRA at Maple Grove in June.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
Gen 4 2.9 is great but I have yet to see any proof that it is better than the 2650 at least for the GT500 crowd.

Intervention302

Established Member
Gen 4 2.9 is great but I have yet to see any proof that it is better than the 2650 at least for the GT500 crowd.
Yeah I stated in my video that the 2650 has undeniable success for other platforms. However, for whatever the reason that success just hasn't "seemed" to make it to the Cobra. Just yet at least

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

stangfreak

Established Member
16 years later and the terminator still impressing people. The black cobra has a built motor but its not anything radical.

COBRA-NV

Does anyone know the weight of that black Cobra? I saw his Instagram and it looks like kirkey seats so its fairly light inside. To be trapping nearly 160mph I am thinking that car is quite light.
I don't remember the exact weight of Bryan's Car. but I can tell you the Ricks VMP vert was still about 150 pounds lighter than Crane at Mods last year. The only thing Bryan has done to the car since then is put the G4 blower on, change the seat and then add some weight back with the chute mount. I asked him if he was under what he weighed at mods, and he said it was pretty much a wash. His car will very likely go 8's this year blower only.

COBRA-NV

The ones that leave the track with the lower pulley intact!
Name one person that has a VMP 2.65 Cobra that has trapped what Bryan's car has with the G4 Whipple, and "left the track with the lower pulley intact"...... Name one person that you know of with a G3 or G4 that has broke a crank.... I will wait.. While I'm waiting, "I will take (things that didn't happen for 800) Alex".... LOL

COBRA-NV

I feel like there was another cobra that made similar power/slightly more as well with the crusher

Mine made 846 with a stock long block and a G3 Crusher, and 829 after we cleaned it up a bit. There are at least 3 of us from different states with different tuners and dynos that have made 800+ with the Whipple and a stock long block. I have yet to see a 2.65 with a stock long block do the same. I also haven't seen a 2.65 Cobra, "Blower only" come close to what Bryan's car has done. Haven't seen a six speed 2.65 with spray do it either for that matter...

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine made 846 with a stock long block and a G3 Crusher, and 829 after we cleaned it up a bit. There are at least 3 of us from different states with different tuners and dynos that have made 800+ with the Whipple and a stock long block. I have yet to see a 2.65 with a stock long block do the same. I also haven't seen a 2.65 Cobra, "Blower only" come close to what Bryan's car has done. Haven't seen a six speed 2.65 with spray do it either for that matter...

are you running e85?

04torchred

Established Member
I don't remember the exact weight of Bryan's Car. but I can tell you the Ricks VMP vert was still about 150 pounds lighter than Crane at Mods last year. The only thing Bryan has done to the car since then is put the G4 blower on, change the seat and then add some weight back with the chute mount. I asked him if he was under what he weighed at mods, and he said it was pretty much a wash. His car will very likely go 8's this year blower only.

Thanks for the info. Whatever is done to the car is working extremely well as that trap speed is serious.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

Do you have the particulars on those cars? Feel free to PM me. At some point I will be going with either a 2.9 or a 2.65 and was curious.

COBRA-NV

Do you have the particulars on those cars? Feel free to PM me. At some point I will be going with either a 2.9 or a 2.65 and was curious.
Yeah, I pretty much know about the three I mentioned. David Short with his stock long block, Bryan Crane made over 800 with a G2 Whipple on his stock long block, before he had Mod Head Shop build his current motor, and Mine that made well over 800 with a 100k mile stock long block. David is in Texas, and is tuned by Dunn, Bryan is in Michigan I think, and is tuned by Lidio, and Im over here in the panhandle of Florida. My tuners name is Brad Baxter at XXX motorsports. I can give details on mine and Davids, if you want to shoot me a message.

COBRA-NV

The VMP2650 just isn't matching this in my opinion

I'm just hoping my 1050x injectors will cut the mustard. Already accepting I'll have to bump base pressure up.

I don't drive on corn that often so I don't think it will be a problem. Time will tell

1050X will probably be ok for a 3.5/ 4lb combo at 800+ with E85. But honestly if you pulley down, and looking for more than 850 to the tire, IMO you should step up to a 1300 or comparable. I have a few buddy's that have been down this road with the new G4 so far, and if you are seeking big power, its probably best to make sure you have some headroom with a bigger injector. Cant wait to hear how she does. I have to live through everyone else at the moment, while my short block is being put together. But when its done, I will be hunting 1k+ through an auto with the G4.

Users who are viewing this thread