New Viper and ZR1 throw-down at Leguna Seca

scn

Established Member
ZR1 throws down a lap record.
2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs. 2013 SRT Viper GTS - Motor Trend
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1212_2013_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_srt_viper_gts/photos/#1
photos

Last edited:

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
It's funny how a 7 year old platform car is still breaking records. Interior may not be the best, but damn you get a serious bang for buck car with the Z06/ZR1. Can't to see what the C7-Z06 will bring to the table

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Props to the ZR1. GM has really dialed that thing in.

In a perfect world, I would like to see what Randy could do given equal amounts of seat time in the two.

scn

Established Member
Props to the ZR1. GM has really dialed that thing in.

In a perfect world, I would like to see what Randy could do given equal amounts of seat time in the two.
In my opinion, this is one of the best things that could have happened to the Viper. Obviously this new platform is going to have some growing pains, but there is nothing like a slap to the face to get your blood boiling. With the C7 coming, it's game on.

kaz109

Established Member
Are those pilot sport cup tires exclusive to the vette? Seems like that is the difference in the results. I am not sure but i thought i remember the 458 beating the zr1 in a earlier comparison when those two and the mclaren mp4 went at it. I could be wrong tho.

scn

Established Member
Are those pilot sport cup tires exclusive to the vette? Seems like that is the difference in the results. I am not sure but i thought i remember the 458 beating the zr1 in a earlier comparison when those two and the mclaren mp4 went at it. I could be wrong tho.

While I'm not certain if the cup tires are a vette exclusive (I would guess not), the Viper was wearing 60 tread wear Pirellis to the Vettes 80 tread wear PSCs. While anyone would agree the PSCs are superior tires, it's not like the Viper showed up on old white walls.

scn

Established Member

I find it funny that they talk about the new Viper as being a much more civilized car yet want to walk that back when it doesn't fit what they had hoped for. Not saying more seat time in the viper wouldn't have helped, but that was a sizable gap. This should serve as an example to any car maker that tries to market a car in a way that goes against what the brand was and is, a beast.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Interesting....couple things I will point out

The specs on the two are insanely close, except one is a SC V8 and the other a N/A V10

Could they have picked a worse color for the zr1?? yuck

Do not like the stripes on the viper, just does not flow. However 141K for the viper?? oh hell naw! Though I like the refinement in the interior

Motortrend has always been a GM fan type so whatever on that, but the call out is interesting. The viper historically has always been harder to drive fast. The same happened with the new shelby, even though it beat the zl1 around the track at several locations, it was touted as harder to drive. But more seat time would help im sure, Randy has driven a zr1 before correct? either way, good stuff.....but for the money I would get the ZR1. GM really blew their load with that beast....:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In my opinion, this is one of the best things that could have happened to the Viper. Obviously this new platform is going to have some growing pains, but there is nothing like a slap to the face to get your blood boiling. With the C7 coming, it's game on.

That's what I want to see. The C6 version is spot on identical, performance wise, to the new Viper. Let's see if the C7 ZR-1 can tame the snake. :)

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
pointless comparison, it's akin to comparing a mustang boss 302 to the camaro ZL1 - oh wait, the stupid ****s at motortrend did that:rollseyes
really, wait for the ACR people.

SVTKen

Established Member
Both were so equally matched that I don't see any bragging rights in either camp. Let the battle continue...

Z28

Established Member
Both were so equally matched that I don't see any bragging rights in either camp. Let the battle continue...

I see the bragging rights being on GM's side, especially with it going up against a brand new car from Dodge that had its target set on the ZR1 and lost.

Last edited:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I find it funny that they talk about the new Viper as being a much more civilized car yet want to walk that back when it doesn't fit what they had hoped for. Not saying more seat time in the viper wouldn't have helped, but that was a sizable gap. This should serve as an example to any car maker that tries to market a car in a way that goes against what the brand was and is, a beast.

This. I remember Tanner Foust driving a viper on top gear and he said the car scares him lol. It wasn't the new viper, but a viper none the less.

BlownAway03

Established Member
pointless comparison, it's akin to comparing a mustang boss 302 to the camaro ZL1 - oh wait, the stupid ****s at motortrend did that:rollseyes
really, wait for the ACR people.

I hope you're not serious. The new Viper is supposed to be a direct competitor to the ZR1. The specs on both cars are almost identical on paper. The tested viper costed more and lost. The C6 Z Vettes cannot be defeated. The 2012 Z06 and 2013 ZR1 have posted the fasted production times ever at Laguna Seca on an outgoing platform. Nice fail SRT.

Users who are viewing this thread