New (Very Happy) Cobra Owner

JR_Cobra

Established Member
Just traded my 01 GT for an 03 Torch Red Cobra convertable. I had never driven the Cobra before. What a rush! I am thrilled at the improvement in power and handling over the GT - which I also liked. The Cobra is just in another league. What a fun car!

I have been lurking here for a couple of week doing my research. You folks have already helped me more than you know and I appreciate that.

Ido have a question - the dealer offered to put a clear coat on the car to both protect the paint and reduce (or eliminate) the need to wax. I had it on my GT. What is your point of view on this? Or, where could I go get more information. Is this a good thing?

Thanks!!
Jeff

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
i wouldnt do that clear coat...think about it...its something you put on the car so you dont have to wax it...it just sounds fishy. I like waxing and washing and stuff...has a nice gratification to it :)

stang03svtcobra

i got it done on all my new cars here in ohio its called final touch protectant... i love it makes the car alot more shiny than b4 and its like putting sunglasses on the car to protect it from the sun so it reduces sun fading over time i say get it if its that same thing im talking about... mine again is called final coat... thanx hope this helps i love it ive had it on for about 6 months

2veloce

Established Member
CONGRATS on the Cobra, you will like it more each day. The most difficult part of owning a new cobra is not driving it.

JR_Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
is it free?

No. On the GT, it cost ~$500 to get the clear coat protection on both the paint and the leather interior. It's warenteed for 5 years against the paint becomming dull or the leather cracking.

On the Cobra, I can get both the clear coat and a factory installed alarm system for $500. So, I'm considering it.

Jeff

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jeff, you said you got a Torch Red vert. That was a first half year offering. Was this a used Cobra or a new one left over on the lot? Torch Red is a sweet color.

Congrats on your Cobra! You're going to really enjoy it. Especially with the top down.
:beer:

haskett

Established Member
Congratulations and welcome. Post some pic's when you get a chance!

Last edited:

Weasel

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Jeff, you said you got a Torch Red vert. That was a first half year offering. Was this a used Cobra or a new one left over on the lot? Torch Red is a sweet color.

Congrats on your Cobra! You're going to really enjoy it. Especially with the top down.
:beer:

I'm not Jeff, but under his avatar it says he got a 10th anniv.

Mike

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Congratz. Don't bother with the paint protectant. If it is what I think it is, it's just a very expensive wax job. They offer it at all the dealers. Dealers don't make any money of the dsale of cars usually, most of their profits are from add ons.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Final Touch, Aftermarket clearcoats, polyglycoat are nothing but a fancy name for a wax. This is strickly pure dealer profit. Just another way to weasel some more money out of you. However, the choice is yours. I know of some salesmen that make over 100k a year for dealerships pushing that stuff.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by 2veloce
CONGRATS on the Cobra, you will like it more each day. The most difficult part of owning a new cobra is not driving it.

And coming in a close second is not modding it!:coolman:

davidmax

Established Member
Rip offf and I own a chemical company and used to make Poly Gly Kote when there little plant couldnt meet demand.I dont even know if there around after running a great add campaign.(they became a 100 million + a year business on 1 product which equates to 180 mill+ in 2002 $$$$'s)
Its a cross linked polymer with Zinc solids added to it about 42% if you used teflon only it would flake off due to teflon cant hold up to abrasion at all,an orbital buffer would have stripped it.
Its 99% the same formulation I sold back in those days to all the large Dept. stores and also schools for marble,slate,terrazo and other hard surfaces where down time and ease of application was important and scuff marks came off with a string mop and water,Dave Smilovic:
If you do some how buy it that still doesnt mean you shold let people walk on your hood and take a wet rag to the scuff marks,just a little caveat,Grat Day,Dave Smilovic.

Users who are viewing this thread