New tune and couldn't be happier

hinds04

Established Member
Not sure if any of you remember but two winters ago I sent my eaton away to posi for a race port, went to 60lb injectors, a BAP, a mafia which I was told I didn't need, and a 4lb lower pulley. After 2 tuning sessions, $1100, new o2 sensors, and about 10 hours on the dyno at ANDERSON FORD in Clinton, IL I went from 452hp to 471hp :shrug: At one point in the tune they had my car firing on 6 cylinders (and I could go on and on)

On to the good:banana: I recently took my car to a friend I met last year who has major experience with our cars (not sure if he wants his name mentioned) and had him tune my car and I couldn't be happier. We went to a SCT programmer and a new MAF (2400). The car is running great and feels very strong. We are thinking I am around 520-530hp now.

I was told by my new tuner, that Anderson's tune was a joke. It basically was the farthest thing from a proper tune as possible "worst I have ever seen".
If he would like to chime in and give a more detailed list of the unbelievable details of the tune I think everyone would get a kick out of it and think twice about where they have there car tuned.

So I want to say thank you to the man responsible. I really appreciate all the time you put into my car and the other little maintenance things that you did. I know that you weren't expecting to have to get so involved with it. Just know that you have made me enjoy the car again :beer:

Previous thread w/ problems: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...i-race-port-2-8-4lb-pullley-tune-numbers.html

IMG_0165.jpg

Last edited:

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Nice! I remember the whole the story and I think I warned you about Anderson and the 4.6L engines. I was considering a tune at that time while considering them b/c they were the closest "reputable" tuner to me. Not trying to bash Anderson, per se, but I had heard they do good work on the old 5.0 engines but not so much on the 4.6L. However, the same guys that warned me also said they do great work otherwise. So again, not trying to bash them but maybe they're lacking some experience/knowledge on the 4.6 tunes...I dunno.

Glad you and the "mystery tuner" worked out all the kinks. Do you plan to dyno it? Where?

Last edited:

hinds04

Established Member
I would like to dyno it... but I refuse to give anderson any more money. Where else is there? I will not allow anyone to touch my programmer or anything like that though (I will watch like a hawk).

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
I understand. I'm not sure anymore. When I was living in Kewanee there were 3 options that I knew of: 1) Bob Kurgan when he moved to Byron 2) Anderson 3) a dyno near the QC (pm me for name). Wasn't sold on #2 or #3 based on the Mustang guys I know up there (and a few guys I talked to on here). When Bob moved to Byron I was all about going to him but my job at the time wasn't allowing for much "fun money." As you probably know, I have moved and so has Kurgan...I think he's down in Georgia now? The closest reputable tuner that I know of is Steig in STL. I think there might be one in Indiana but I'd have to go through my notes. Tabres...he'll be at the meet...and is finishing up a sweet build on a '97 Cobra...might know of some tuners in the area...but I wanna say that he went to Kurgan.

Last edited:

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
And Now for my .02.
I too had gone to them to do the pulley (BF) change and new tune. I was getting ready to install some new plugs when he called and said get it here now if you don't want to wait another month. so I ran over there with parts they installed and then when they were tuning it I noticed that my Brand new Blower pulley looked like it had been put on by an ape and a sledge hammer. PM me for pics (scratched to hell) they also said the belt i gave them was wrong (even though it was the one that is on the Terminator FAQ page for my application) so they got me another belt. ($65) He put in on the dyno and then the excuses started to fly and so does the tune time $$$ He started with the predator tune as a base then went from there. I got 453hp and 491tq and was semi happy with the numbers but not my pulley, was charged for 3 hours tuning and install stuff ($100 for plug install WHAT??) to the tune of $900.
About 2 weeks after i got it back, I noticed a miss so i replaced plugs (2X) cleaned maf, air cleaner, IAT, TB to no avail. I was told it was probably the tune. So I made repeated calls to them and never once got a call back. I then started hearing horror stories from people like you about them. SO I made my mind up to not go back to them and discourage others. Turns out my "tune" is way over sparked (hence miss) and Fuel is way off. saving for a new tune now.
BTW.. just met a friend who has a GT and has gone to him for a new TB and MAF and a predator tune. he spent 2 hours on the dyno and didn't get anywhere so he left and went home . Car died on him and they towed it back. he "re tuned" and gave him a BS story about his car being a ghost car, because the tune wouldn't take, he would send it down but it wouldn't take, 2 days later my friend noticed a change and Anderson told him the tune must have took finally?? So my friend has no dyno sheet and is left wondering how much HP his GT has.
wow!!
The guys I sold My saleen to warned me of them.
He and his uncle had drag cars (cobras) tuned by them and guess how many runs they made before both blew? a grand total of 3!!
I am sure there are a ton of other stories out there.
BE CAREFUL of who you chose to program your baby.

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
They have been screwing people for decades. I hate to say it, but I remember guys getting the shaft back in the 1990's. They are flat out scam artists. I would recommend that no one do any type of business with them.

I can't believe they are still in business!!!!!!!!

2003svtredfire

Established Member
They have been screwing people for decades. I hate to say it, but I remember guys getting the shaft back in the 1990's. They are flat out scam artists. I would recommend that no one do any type of business with them.

I can't believe they are still in business!!!!!!!!

They specialize in the foxbodies or the pushrod motors. I have heard horror stories about Anderson other then Kyle and Kevin mentioning them.

I had Kurgan tune my cobra and he did an awesome job, great driveablilty and i have had zero issues with the car.

I've heard quite a few positive remarks about your "mystery tuner" Kyle, i may check him out also.:coolman:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I am going to go out on a limb and say there aren't to many tuners in the game that are doing the full tune properly.

Vae_Victus

Established Member
Wow...that is just messed up. Can't you go back and try to get some money back? A shotty job does not deserve full pay...if any.
Congrats on ur new tune. At least you can breathe again.

hinds04

Established Member
Wow...that is just messed up. Can't you go back and try to get some money back? A shotty job does not deserve full pay...if any.
Congrats on ur new tune. At least you can breathe again.

yea, I thought about contacting them with a detailed list of the absolute mess of a tune to see what they would do. Danny Biggs is the tuner and a complete f*ck. He actually told me most of his paycheck comes out of the tuning hours. I dont think he knows hes a shitty tuner but I do think he knows hes dicking people time wise.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
If I offered you 1000 dollars would you be happier? Thought so lol, j/k!

Congrats on getting a correct tune man!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Nice to see you finally get the car tuned properly so you can enjoy it. Although I did see where you said you already wished you'd have went twin screw lol.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Best practice - never ask for a dyno sheet for a new "tune" to be done. Ask the tuner to show you these following data. This work has to be done correctly first before any dyno power work.

This work is done as a custom tune with knowledge of the controls and parameters you are working with in the development software tools and NOT loading tuner value files in with some generic flasher over and over.

1. Adaptive long term fuel trims and short term fuel trims at idle, decel, and part throttle after it has adapted for awhile (various speed/loads). The goal is to have those all at 1.0 +- 5% (10% max). This will prove your airmeter calibration is dialed in correctly.
--> Note reflashing the ECM zeroes out the adaptive trims so do not be fooled by seeing 1.000's for long term trims. They need to adapt after the engine is warm and not purging fuel vapor from the tank. Only then can you tell where the system is.
2. Actual airfuel trace during tip-ins/outs
3. Show desired vs actual RPM overlay during start up at various engine temps - cold start, mid temp, hot
4. No decel stalls/dips; smooth transition to idle control
5. Little tipout clunk
6. Smooth idle and low load cruising - no misfires
7. Commanded open loop airfuel vs actual at various RPMs WOT. This proves your airmeter is dialed in at higher loads. Note that WOT fuel references an adaptive fuel trim cell in normal driving too, so again it is important for normal driving operation to be correct.
etc.

8. Then a dyno sheet with power and airfuel!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread