New to svt performance , replaced alter now battery light prob

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
Hey guys and gals i just joined this site about a week ago, nothing but great stuff here!! I got my first cobra, 2003 sonic blue with sra swap, kyb adj struts and rear shocks, kb 2.2 , long tubes , o/r x-pipe and fresh t56 with upgraded rebuild with certerforce dfx. car runs great with 16lbs it was dynoed with 612rwhp. I had a issue with the battery light would blink once or twice. so I had the alternator tested and the guy said it was over-charging, he sold me a rebuilt one and i replaced it. I noticed the one that came off my car had 605 stamped on the regulator , the one he sold me had 606 on it. Well i crank it up and the battery light was on. Im thinking what gives, I double checked the wires to the alternator and they were all fine. so I pulled the battery wire off the battery to see if would die while car was running, stayed running. I drive it home and about 2-3 miles into the drive battery light goes off. get home turn the car off turn it back on and the light is on again>>> today my wife takes it back to the alternator guy and has him to check it. he says its char
ging fine, he checks the wires says the wire to the battery light must be broke somewhrer in the harness. She told me this and then she says the car is idling at 1100 rpms now also. When she came for lunch I confirmed the light still on and the rpm is 1100. I romp on it a few times adn the rpm drop to normal when i come to a stop, after driving for a few minutes the light goes off.
I kept the car let her drive the truck to work, I get in and start down the road after it has set until 5pm today. Battery light comes on , stays on for about 15mins then goes out. get in the car from the gym about an hr has passed, light is off now ?? car isnt idling up or down like a surge or anything like that, the battery light just comes on and goes off after a several mins of driving. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Hey guys and gals i just joined this site about a week ago, nothing but great stuff here!! I got my first cobra, 2003 sonic blue with sra swap, kyb adj struts and rear shocks, kb 2.2 , long tubes , o/r x-pipe and fresh t56 with upgraded rebuild with certerforce dfx. car runs great with 16lbs it was dynoed with 612rwhp. I had a issue with the battery light would blink once or twice. so I had the alternator tested and the guy said it was over-charging, he sold me a rebuilt one and i replaced it. I noticed the one that came off my car had 605 stamped on the regulator , the one he sold me had 606 on it. Well i crank it up and the battery light was on. Im thinking what gives, I double checked the wires to the alternator and they were all fine. so I pulled the battery wire off the battery to see if would die while car was running, stayed running. I drive it home and about 2-3 miles into the drive battery light goes off. get home turn the car off turn it back on and the light is on again>>> today my wife takes it back to the alternator guy and has him to check it. he says its char
ging fine, he checks the wires says the wire to the battery light must be broke somewhrer in the harness. She told me this and then she says the car is idling at 1100 rpms now also. When she came for lunch I confirmed the light still on and the rpm is 1100. I romp on it a few times adn the rpm drop to normal when i come to a stop, after driving for a few minutes the light goes off.
I kept the car let her drive the truck to work, I get in and start down the road after it has set until 5pm today. Battery light comes on , stays on for about 15mins then goes out. get in the car from the gym about an hr has passed, light is off now ?? car isnt idling up or down like a surge or anything like that, the battery light just comes on and goes off after a several mins of driving. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

To be honest...there is plenty of research to be done regarding this.
My guess...test the battery at a car parts store or yourself. What readings do you get?
Then check your readings with the car running with different accessories on/off...
From my experience on these boards...if your battery is good...your alternator is bad again. It happens all the time...Good luck and report back!
:rockon:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
take the alt somewhere else and have it tested. just because it is new, doesnt mean it is good. the reason i say that, is b/c i am currently on my 4th alt for my car (in the 3-4 years of owning it). after my stock alt went out, a put a new one in, and it was doing the battery light thing. it did end up being the alt (again), and i had to get that one replaced as well, after only being in for a day or two.

Tims97SVT

Established Member

No no no! You can NOT pull the battery cable off on a car with an alternator. You can if it has a generator. An alternator will max charge when you remove the battery cable. Thus killing it!

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
No no no! You can NOT pull the battery cable off on a car with an alternator. You can if it has a generator. An alternator will max charge when you remove the battery cable. Thus killing it!

Cant stress this enough!!:nono:
On the op's light problem...if it does have the F606 regulator with black plug housing it's the wrong one.That is for the ECM controlled units.It's searching for a signal from the ECM which the 03/04 Cobras dont use.The F605 is the correct regulator & should have a gray plug housing.
Take it back & explain it to him,if he disagrees.....find another rebuilder:bash:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Cant stress this enough!!:nono:
On the op's light problem...if it does have the F606 regulator with black plug housing it's the wrong one.That is for the ECM controlled units.It's searching for a signal from the ECM which the 03/04 Cobras dont use.The F605 is the correct regulator & should have a gray plug housing.
Take it back & explain it to him,if he disagrees.....find another rebuilder:bash:

Thanks Jamie,
I really do appreciate you being here and helping out!:rockon::beer:

Moved::dw:

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
turned out the yellow wire from the two wire plug on the alternator had been butt connected before and taped up and covered like factory. I pulled the two wire plug from the alternator and turned the switch to the on position, the yellow should have 12volts, at this point it did not. Turned the switch back to off position, started tracing my wire and noticed it had been re-wraped with black electrical. Cut the tape off and realized it had the no no connector on it and the yellow wire was actual pulled from the connector. I soldered and heat shrinked it back together and cranked the car no battery light and the battery is charging at 14.4 volts. The car still has the f606 alternator on it- the alternator guy gave me my old f605 back with a fresh rebuild as a spare and my $120 back and a apology for all my issues, I didnt find the wire issue until I got home today and started the investigation into the wires. He actually told me to check the yellow wire for 12 volts when i went by to get my original alt back. Good guys and really cared about me as a customer.. ALL CHARGED UP was the name of the company here in Anderson SC

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
turned out the yellow wire from the two wire plug on the alternator had been butt connected before and taped up and covered like factory. I pulled the two wire plug from the alternator and turned the switch to the on position, the yellow should have 12volts, at this point it did not. Turned the switch back to off position, started tracing my wire and noticed it had been re-wraped with black electrical. Cut the tape off and realized it had the no no connector on it and the yellow wire was actual pulled from the connector. I soldered and heat shrinked it back together and cranked the car no battery light and the battery is charging at 14.4 volts. The car still has the f606 alternator on it- the alternator guy gave me my old f605 back with a fresh rebuild as a spare and my $120 back and a apology for all my issues, I didnt find the wire issue until I got home today and started the investigation into the wires. He actually told me to check the yellow wire for 12 volts when i went by to get my original alt back. Good guys and really cared about me as a customer.. ALL CHARGED UP was the name of the company here in Anderson SC

Thank you for posting the solution to your issue! :rockon::beer:

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
Awesome!:banana: Glad the guy was willing to help you out,keep him!:beer:
Sorry for my ass-ump-tion as to your problem.I just see too many units that people shove out the door in the name of $$$$$

Last edited:

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
This guy seems like a really good guy. ive used them before for several vehicles and all was good. Thanks for the help earlier in the post, Im not by any means an electronics person, but have done alot of automotive wiring in race cars and ignition situations. thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread