New to site...'96 Cobra

jevans

Established Member
New to site, thought I'd post some pics of my '96 Cobra. I purchased the Cobra a few months ago as a project car. The car has 66,000 miles on it and sit outside for about 18 months or so, not moving or being started.

When I purchased the car, we threw a jump box on it and it fired right up. We aired the tires up and drove it to my shop. The rotors were rusted really bad and the tires were dry rotted.

I purchased the car for a really good price, so I figured I'd buy it a make another project car out of it. I needed another car like I need another hole in my head. I have a '88 Notch with a 427 and a 106mm turbo and backhalved '87 Grand National.

Here's a list of the changes and upgrades made to Cobra so far. Still quite a few things I plan to do, once I have some extra time and money.

- SSBC Slotted Rotors and Pads
- Welded axle tubes, completely rebuilt rearend
- Motive Gear 4.10's
- Strange Aluminum Rearend Support Cover
- FRPP Aluminum Drive Shaft
- UPR Adjustable Upper and Lowers
- UPR Billet Sperical Bushings
- Koni Single Adjustable Shocks and Struts
- Steeda 4 Bolt Caster Camber Plates
- Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs
- American Muscle Saleen 18" Wheels w/ Nitto 555's
- Cold Air Relocation Kit
- BBK X-Pipe, Magna Flow Exhaust

1027121517.jpg

1027121514.jpg

More upgrades planned in the near future. I have a set of long tube headers and Novi 2000 for a 4.6 laying on the bench...;-)

- John

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Welcome to SVTP. Good looking Cobra. But I'm curious, why'd the previous owner let the car sit for so long if nothing was wrong with it?

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
i love the look.
its gonna feel slow compared to your other cars!

jevans

Established Member
Welcome to SVTP. Good looking Cobra. But I'm curious, why'd the previous owner let the car sit for so long if nothing was wrong with it?

Thanks...The previous owner ran into a little financial trouble and put the car in auto pawn. The car sat there for about a year and a half. She felt she would be better off selling the car because of the repairs needed and and what she owed to get the car out.

I've made all the needed repairs except for passenger fender and door. I more than likely wait to repair them when I have the whole car repainted.

I checked the car out for any major issues before I purchased it. I know the guy who originally owned the car, he treated it like a cream puff.

jevans

Established Member
Thanks for the welcome guys. I've owned quite a few Mustang's over the years, all have been Fox Bodies, set up for the quarter mile. I scaled the Cobra after I made the suspension upgrades, the SN95 platform seems to be a little nose heavy compared to the Fox Body. Here's how the car scaled. This is with all fluids, no driver.

0812121912a.jpg

Here's a few pics of the rearend, I welded the axle tubes and brackets while I had it out of the car.

0905121434.jpg

0905121435a.jpg

-John

Noreast

Established Member
Welcome!! Cars gorgeous !! Quick question. Noticed everyone welding the axel tubes. What's the advantage?

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Welcome!! Cars gorgeous !! Quick question. Noticed everyone welding the axel tubes. What's the advantage?

Alot of track passes with sticky tires and they start to twist off the pumpkin and start leaking.

OP: Welcome to the forum, nice ride there hope you enjoy the forums.

jevans

Established Member

Alot of track passes with sticky tires and they start to twist off the pumpkin and start leaking.

Correct, the axle tubes will start to twist once you start hooking. Added insurance to help strengthen the rearend.

Users who are viewing this thread