New to me DD (F150 content)

nickf2005

Established Member
Finally retiring my Escape and stepped up into a 2007 F150 XLT 4x4 with 58k on the clock. Noting fancy... Leveling kit, HID headlights, LED tails/3rd brake light, tonneau cover,, Saleen grill, dual exhaust (Pypes?), and soon to have Westin tubular step bars (originals were damaged).

Currently having trouble with the HID lights not wanting to come on the first time everytime, and the driver side flickering once in a while. Looking at the fuse tomorrow and see if I can change it out to allow more juice through. If that doesn't work, then I'll take a look at the wiring to see if there's any shotty wiring. If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure what I'll do. If anyone has past experience with aftermarket HID headlights, feel free to throw in some tips.

Pictures are from Craigslist add. Crappy weather here right now...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This one's mine from today

attachment.php

BrianC_12

Established Member
Its probably the ballast for the HID going bad. But first i would try to clean all the connections and check everything like you said before buying new ballasts. I had a ballast that wouldnt want to come on all of the time so i just replaced them with 55w ballasts. Hope this helps!

nickf2005

Established Member
Thanks Brian. Are ballasts specific to brand and model bought? Or can you buy any ballast and hook it up to the current wiring/system?

I'm a total HID newb.

BrianC_12

Established Member
No they shouldnt be. They should just plug right in. But if you dont want to hassle with it you can get new HID kits for pretty cheap. Check out DDM Tuning. It will come with 2 ballasts (for each bulb) and 2 bulbs and you can pick which ever color you want. I have their kit in my fog lights and i havent had a problem with them.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Good deal it looks to be in good shape and it is hard to find one with less miles. I wanted those wheels as a second set for my truck since the grey in the middle would match the truck color. I found Expy wheels for $100 instead so I bought them. Do you know what leveling kit that truck has? Mine was on there when I bought it, and it sits too high in front.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice looking F150. Are you going to keep the wheels or go with something different.

nickf2005

Established Member
No they shouldnt be. They should just plug right in. But if you dont want to hassle with it you can get new HID kits for pretty cheap. Check out DDM Tuning. It will come with 2 ballasts (for each bulb) and 2 bulbs and you can pick which ever color you want. I have their kit in my fog lights and i havent had a problem with them.

Thanks for the tip and info. It seems as though the light works 100% if I turn it on manually versus auto. I've read about how auto may not allow enough time for the ballast to charge?

Good deal it looks to be in good shape and it is hard to find one with less miles. I wanted those wheels as a second set for my truck since the grey in the middle would match the truck color. I found Expy wheels for $100 instead so I bought them. Do you know what leveling kit that truck has? Mine was on there when I bought it, and it sits too high in front.

It was a good deal. There's a bit of rust underneath but I would expect that out of an Indiana truck 7 years old. I do not know what leveling kit is on it. The guy I bought it from bought it that way and he didn't know or care really.

Nice looking F150. Are you going to keep the wheels or go with something different.

Thanks Bob. Wheels are staying. I am banned from toys and accessories until we get a house built. With a Shelby, F150, and motorcycle in the garage, I think I understand. That said, I may plastidip them black. I like the silver/black theme I have going on. Not much of a chrome guy myself.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread