New to me car….C6 Z06

bssmith1220

Established Member
I had this exact car, clone of my previous Z06. I had that nightmare in my head of my roasted engine and the car on the side of the road. I really cannot think of another car that I have liked the looks and spec sheet better than the C6Z, even to this day I still think about getting back into one. If I bought another corvette, it would be a later year C6 grand sport. All the looks and handling of the Z06, without the LS7.
A grand sport is what I was originally after but when I found this car I just couldn’t pass it up. It’s so clean and white is my favorite!

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Very nice pick up!
Just bought an 07 Z myself. Not nearly as minty fresh as yours, but the price was right. Heads already gone through too so hoping that means I'll be good for a while.

bssmith1220

Established Member
Very nice pick up!
Just bought an 07 Z myself. Not nearly as minty fresh as yours, but the price was right. Heads already gone through too so hoping that means I'll be good for a while.
I probably shouldn’t have bought such a clean one. I’ll be tempted to not drive it

44shelby

Established Member
Swesome car but do your self a huge favor and take the stock castings off the car and buy a set of aftermarket ones. I went with tony mamo's tfs heads on my ls7 build. The geometry on the stock heads is off and no matter what kind of "fix" you do they will never be correct.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Swesome car but do your self a huge favor and take the stock castings off the car and buy a set of aftermarket ones. I went with tony mamo's tfs heads on my ls7 build. The geometry on the stock heads is off and no matter what kind of "fix" you do they will never be correct.
this! from all my research this has been the real issues...not the guides/valves.

bssmith1220

Established Member
I’ll look into that. Thank you.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I probably shouldn’t have bought such a clean one. I’ll be tempted to not drive it
Its funny you say this, I bought my C5Z and although it was low mile (29k) it was tracked some so it wears some very light battle scars. I bought it to track and have fun so that was perfect. I ended up doing full paint correction on it and fixing everything I could. It looks pretty perfect now, but Im still less type A about it as I know its not perfect.
That RFZ is beautiful. But I say drive it and have some fun. Otherwise you become the stereotypical Vette owner who spends more time looking at his car than driving it. With every Vette Ive owned, I have always said.....
"I'm not a Vette guy, I'm a Mustang guy who has a Vette."

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
so you’re telling me that even with the valves/heads

I would not worry about it. You can go on Corvette forum and find that no one has any issues after doing the guides. Honestly this is the first i have heard of this. The head issue is only an issue in earlier models, i believe 07 through 09.

For extra piece of mind you can throw a pair of MAST or Frankenstein heads on for an extra 1500.

Mine did AFTER the bronze valve guides etc.

You had bad luck. I am not aware of any having issues after doing the heads, including myself.

Last edited:

Silver95

Established Member
A week ago i traded my 07 Z06 for a brand new Mach 1.

The Z is a special car with that massive seven litre mill. Even at idle you can tell it was different. I fixed the heads. Then it developed an oil pan leak. After that it was time for it to go.

The pan leak required the subframe to be dropped. Me being ocd and very particular, I knew that a job of this caliber would not be done without me noticing marks here and there. So I got rid of what was to me a headache.

Beautiful car and absolutely timeless. I just don’t have any faith in gm anymore at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread