New to me car….C6 Z06

bssmith1220

Established Member
After many years and many variants of mustang ownership I finally decided to see what the other side was about and bought a Z06. Its a 2007 Ron Fellows edition with 15k miles. The car is very impressive to drive and I wish I had made the move to buy one sooner before prices went crazy. I was lucky to find this one pretty local to me though and in fantastic condition.
Image1685808717.319602.jpg
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1488.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG

The previous owner was retired and recently had a heart attack so he felt like he couldn’t drive a manual any longer. He took very good care of the car and added a few tasteful mods along the way.
AHP CNC ported heads, Kooks longtubes with Corsa Sports, Halltech intake, MGW shifter, DRM shocks, Forgeline VX1’s. Makes 510 rwhp with the stock cam.
Since this is my first Corvette, If anyone has any recommendations or advice I’m all ears. Pretty sure I want to put a cam in it ASAP unless someone can convince me otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ToddW702

Established Member
That thing is a great find. Love those. Nice mods to start as well. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Z06

Established Member
I hope to own a C6 Z one day. We won't get a formula in a vette like that again. Lightweight, big power!

ArabianOak

Established Member
i beg you to take my advice and get the heads dealt with...it's not a matter of it but when that engine blows up and you will need 20k to get a new one.

i'm sure you have researched this but don't take it lightly. i did and my motor grenaded...just an fyi!

ArabianOak

Established Member
They had a tendency to drop valves, right?
yes, and the cure is Stainless Steel Valves and Bronze guides but some people still pop engines with that upgrade...

his car looks super clean, so i would spend the time/jingle to make sure you he can enjoy it with peace of mind.

bssmith1220

Established Member
i beg you to take my advice and get the heads dealt with...it's not a matter of it but when that engine blows up and you will need 20k to get a new one.

i'm sure you have researched this but don't take it lightly. i did and my motor grenaded...just an fyi!
It has had the heads done.
They are AHP CNC ported #4 package milled .020 with CHE rocker bushings

bssmith1220

Established Member
@ArabianOak any other advice? Any reason not to put a cam in it?
It has a tick performance clutch master cylinder as well, I heard that was a common issue.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sweet rides.
My buddy owns the same car they did a video RPM Motorsports ‘Ron burgundy edition’ Made big power.
Enjoy it!
-J

Recon

Established Member
Nice. C6Z is such a fine car. Enjoy it!

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice. The c6z is amazing car. The balance of power, chassis, and weight distribution makes for an incredible experience.

Cam is an easy one. Avoid the more aggressive RPMs and BPM. The drivability sucks and their power curve is goofy.

Generally avoid too aggressive of cam. The chop is nice but they beat the shit out of valvetrain and can detract from the driving experience.

The MSD Atomic intake is incredible. These will add 50+ whp. Kong might make a ported one which I would go with if he does. Greg Kong is Yoda with a dremel.

MGW shifter is worthwhile just as it is on the Shelby 6060. Same transmission, different gearing.

Cheers

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I saw that car listed forsale. I always loved the RF edition. Congrats!!!
I owned a C6Z which I bought new. What an amazing car. I had so many fun times in it. Ran 10s stock on DR, Did 173 in the standing mile. Met and started dating my wife in that car.
I will warn you, I know of a bunch of blown LS7s. Even with "fixed" heads. Have the valvetrain checked (or learn how yourself) periodically. Those motors are expensive and GM no longer makes them as crate motors.
Otherwise its one of the best all around sports cars ever made.

ArabianOak

Established Member
@ArabianOak any other advice? Any reason not to put a cam in it?
It has a tick performance clutch master cylinder as well, I heard that was a common issue.
TSP 441 C.I.D. LS7 Short-Block SKU: 25-TSP441SB Change This Kit
- Wiseco 4.125" -2.8cc Flat-Top
- Wiseco Steel Top/Napier 2nd Ring Set
- Texas Speed 6.125" Super H-Beam, ARP 2000 Bolts - Callies 4.125" Stroke, Dry Sump
- ARP Main Stud Kit
- 58x
- Include Crate & Cradle; Required for Shipping
Inbound Shipping/Handling
CNC Port Heads w/Freight
FAST LSXR 102mm LS7 Intake Manifold
Williams Performance 102mm Electric Throttle Body - Black anodized Port intake manifold FAST 102mm
LS7 Head Gasket, Z06 427 Head Gasket, 4.150 gasket bore
LS7 Gaskets, Oil Pan, Head Gaskets, Intake, Front & Rear Cover, Front & Rear Seals, Header
LS7 7.0 oil pump assembly
LS7 balancer bolt
GM LS7 Lifter Set of 16, retrofit for LS1, LS6, LS2, LS3
NGK COPPER PLUGS
Dy Sump Oil Cooler

The cam specs are: Duration: 227int./243exh
Valve Lift: .613/.623
Lobe Seperation: 115+0

bssmith1220

Established Member
I saw that car listed forsale. I always loved the RF edition. Congrats!!!
I owned a C6Z which I bought new. What an amazing car. I had so many fun times in it. Ran 10s stock on DR, Did 173 in the standing mile. Met and started dating my wife in that car.
I will warn you, I know of a bunch of blown LS7s. Even with "fixed" heads. Have the valvetrain checked (or learn how yourself) periodically. Those motors are expensive and GM no longer makes them as crate motors.
Otherwise it’s one of the best all around sports cars ever made.
How frequently should the valve train be checked? And what does that entail?

Users who are viewing this thread