New Terminator Owner with WOT Hiccup....Please Help!!!!

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
First off, let me say hello to you all. I recently sold my 2001 L and aquired this 2003 Sonic Blue Beauty! I purchased it from SVTP member (loud_snake).

Here are a couple of pics of my newly aquired Termy....

List of Mods....

- Carbon Fiber Dash Kit
- Auto Meter Lunar Series (Electric Fuel Pressure, Mechanical Vacuum/Boost and Oil Pressure)
- B&M Ripper Shifter
- Valentine One Radar Locater (Custom Mounted)
- Baer Eradispeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors w/Hawk Pads
- Bassani Exhaust
- Bassani Off-Road X-Pipe
- Edelbrock Throttle Body 62mm
- AFCO Heat Exchanger
- 18x9 Ford OEM FR500’s (Chrome)
- H&R’s Sport Springs
- Steeda Blower Belt Tensioner
- Steeda Full Length Subframe Connectors
- 2.76 Upper
- SCT Maf 2400
- BBK cold air intake with K&N filter
- SCT tune by MMP

Dyno'd, 457HP / 476TQ at MMP in June of '06 by previous owner.

I am having a problem with my newly aquired snake. I have spoken with the shop that tuned this car MMP (Modern Mustang Performance) and they were little/no help, as the person who tuned the car no longer works there. Thus I am turning to my fellow Terminator experts.

Here is the problem....

Under normal driving conditions, the car runs perfect! You would never suspect the car had a problem. However, when you stab the loud pedal, the car has a "HICCUP" that occurs between 4500 - 5500RPMs. This "HICCUP" occurs in any gear, under WOT. The car, pulls like a freight train up to the area I stated, then it does the "HICCUP" (it is an instant hesitation), then BAM, right back into power she goes and pulls like a raped ape all the way to redline.

I did replace the plugs (NGK TR6's gapped at .035) and fuel filter.

I have spent the last 3 days searching and searching with little success. I have read much regarding this FRPS, so I decided that this could be the culprit causing my "HICCUP". I was not able to find any pictures of this FRPS, but I believe I have found it.

In the photo below....is the item I have circled the FRPS?

Unplugging this sensor cures my HICCUP, which is what I read during my search. If the FRPS is bad, once unplugged the car will run properly. So I replaced this sensor (i.e. brand new sensor) and buttoned everything and went for a TEST RAG. Well, it didn't cure a DAMN thing!!!! I do not understand, unplugged, no HICCUP. Plugged up, HICCUP. I am about to pull my hair out regarding this issue.

I have no clue what the fuel pressure in these cars should be, so I took some pics to show you what my gauge reflects. The gauge is an AutoMeter Lunar series electrical fuel gauge.

This is the fuel pressure when the key is turned to the ON position....

Fuel pressure @ idle....

Under WOT, the pressure is between 40-50 psi and slowly drops as the RPMs rise. After the HICCUP, the pressure jumps back up to 50psi and the car pulls like a freight train again. Again, with the sensor I have circled unplugged, there is no HICCUP.

I can't explain it any better than a "HICCUP". Please forgive my ignorance regarding these cars, as I am new to the Terminator crowd. I hope that one of you guys has had this problem and can help me solve this whole ordeal.

Thanks to any and all who take this on. I am sorry for the long post.

Dorf

Last edited:

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
mine does this also. kind of annoying. mainly does it when its cold even after i let it warm up and get going for a bit before going to wot.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
TTT....Bump.

Can I get some feedback on the item circled in the picture. Is that the FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor)? The reason I ask is this, went to my local Ford dealership to order the new FRPS. They had no clue what I was talking about. They pulled up a diagram of the fuel rail and asked me to point out the part I needed. Their diagram showed this part to be a fuel pressure regulator.....:shrug: .

SSChris NY

Established Member
Do U lose any fuel pressure when you feel the hiccup, if you do U may want to delete the PPRV in your fuel tank, it may also be Tune related, has something to do with the Fuel Trim in your Tune, have it check by reputable Tuner, that just My opinion

04CobraMatt

Established Member
I dunno about your hiccup but that is the FRPS you circled, and shouldn't your fuel pressure be closer to 40psi @ idle or WOT?

beautiful car btw, im a huge fan of Sonic+chrome...

Last edited:

BelvedereGTX

Banned
Im sure a tuner could figure it out once its got its wheels spinning on the dyno. Did the previous owner tell u about this problem when he sold you the car, or did he pull a sneek move and not mention it?

ViciousJay

Established Member
yea replace the FRPS, have a retune done by a rep tuner of your choice and get a stock T/B on there and get rid of the BBK intake

by the how did you get those dyno numbers without a pulley??

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
I have been help Dorf try and figure it out!...The owner didnt tell him about it....but he might not have know either!....We dont think its tune related because the car was on the dyno less than 6 months ago and it didnt have this prob.

If you unplug the sensor...the car runs great!....plug it back in and it studders once then takes back off! I pulled the vacume line off and it is pulling suction like it should be.....tried tracing where that line went but coudnt pin point it....but all the lines on the back of the blower are good an snug!

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
ViciousJay said:
yea replace the FRPS, have a retune done by a rep tuner of your choice and get a stock T/B on there and get rid of the BBK intake

by the how did you get those dyno numbers without a pulley??

Its a 2.76!..must have forgot that part!:idea:

ViciousJay

Established Member
replace the sensor.. its liek 80 bucks..

start there, the problem is still oocuring then id look into a new tuner, or you might need to do the fuel pump mod

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
it doesn't sound like the famous hesitation between gear shift problem that i was having, as well as many others. that problem is solved by removing the PPRV within the fuel tank, and adding the kenne bell FRPS disc.

and yes, that is the FRPS that is circled.

i'd start with your tuner, and see if he can fix it, then try a new FRPS (or get the FRPS 1st)

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Sounds like you need to talk to Joe@DynoSpeed, Dorf!!! He loves all of these Arkansas boys coming to see him!

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
We replaced the FRPS sensor yesterday but it didnt help...still had the miss.

Only thing that has helpd so far is replacing the Fuel Filter!...it cleaned up the miss from missing a few times in a row. To just missing once at 5200...but it does is in every gear at 5200!

Also...this KB disc thing...where does it go and does anybody have a pic of it! Thanks Cheyenne

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
LightningMedic said:
We replaced the FRPS sensor yesterday but it didnt help...still had the miss.

Only thing that has helpd so far is replacing the Fuel Filter!...it cleaned up the miss from missing a few times in a row. To just missing once at 5200...but it does is in every gear at 5200!

Also...this KB disc thing...where does it go and does anybody have a pic of it! Thanks Cheyenne

consult a tuner then... i doubt your having spark blow out

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Just replaced the plugs...NGK TR6 at .35.......still doing it~

We called MMP yesterday...sent them 2 data logs and only thing they could tell us was check the FRPS and get it to a tunner!@

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
It must be tune related. Mine does it as well. Prior to being on the dyno it did not do it. I will swap out my stock plugs tomorrow for some NGK TR6s. I also have a fuel filter but I doubt that this is the cause. My car has the exact same problem and you described it well.

Users who are viewing this thread