New Supercharger for 2011 w/ bolts ons... Gen 2R or KB?

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
A Gen 2R TVS will provide op torque where he needs it on the street for just over half the cost of a big Whipple or KB setup.

I've never found a twin screw lacking low end torque on the street, in fact probably the most violent street car I've even been in had a Whipple 3.4 Crusher. And even for arguments sake, let's say an underspun KB 2.8 makes 30-40 lb-ft less than a TVS below 3500 rpm. So what? If you see less than 3500 in a race you're doing it wrong, and 30-40 lb-ft (@WOT) is pretty much imperceptible at part throttle on the street.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ben, youre right. I did mean to put down Street outlaws currently. 100 percent correct to say he did get known for the car with a procharger.

What cant be denied though is the switch that nearly everyone is making to turbos on the hard core competition side of racing. I wasn't telling OP he needs to switch to turbos, just to be clear. I was stating that if a person is building an all out drag car from a gt500, the owner would get a greater return on investment with a twin turbo, 6R80 set up.

OP is looking for a street crusing machine. The goal isnt all out racing via a supercharger for the power adder. If OP drives his car like a normal gearhead hes cruising in normal RPMS and downshifting to go fast. If he were driving with his RPMs at 4000-redline all the time on the street, id say he is an idiot.

So yes, for OPs stated goals a Gen2R TVS is a cheaper more effective solution that can easily be enhanced with pullies and or nitrous.

I would also argue that VMP has far better customer support than KB. Ive heard that KB can be a real pain in the ass to get things resolved from multiple people both here and in real life.

Plus BJ from VMP is at least active from time to time here. Cant recall the last time ive ever seen KB officially post here.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For the record, Lethal Performance's 3.4L Whipple powered 2010 Shelby running 9.66 video is what sealed the deal for me wanting a GT500.

ante

Established Member
de3702e4115bc493ccc07d7dfde00453.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.8 , lower , long tube, bp, kb throttle body.
16 lbs of boost.

SirShaun

Established Member
Lets head to the extreme and see whats happening in the GT500 world.

BPS 6 Speed GT500 2.3 VMP GenII (6 Speed GT500 Record)

Mark "BirdDoc" Dubber 6 Speed GT500 4.2L KB

Mark Meiering Fastest GT500 Big KB Auto

SirShaun

Established Member
All the recommended options are solid. I'm a bit biased towards the VMP and I will explain why. It's the best bang for the buck. It makes for a very fun and solid street car. BPS has done everything but cut the car and it weighs in at 3150lbs with driver. Props to the guys above for taking the GT500 to that level.

It's hard for me to picture the next level with a built motor and weight reduction when you can get a fox/1st gen down, close to 2000lbs, much easier and cheaper. I'll keep all the creature comforts in the GT500 and be happy with 700-800hp. You can be in need of a cage/chute with all of the proposed recommendations.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Whipple in both cars, stock blower pulley, ( 2.9 - 3", 3.4 - 3.5" ) & stock lower pulleys. Both cars @ a smig over 19 lb. boost. ( LT's / 93 tune. )

B.LaCe

Established Member
After reading the posts and a bunch of searching, I'm now leaning towards the Whipple 2.9. The price difference is about $650 and Lethal is about to put Whipple blowers on sale, it appears. While I'm looking for reliability at the moment, it would be nice to know I have room to grow w/ the larger Whipple. Gonna wait and see how the sale is... but, the Gen 2R and Whipple 2.9 are at the top of my list.

-Whipple 2.9l/ VMP Gen 2R
-fuel pump voltage booster
-throttle body
-Lund Tune

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know your timeline, but the TVS 2650 will raise the bar for the TVS. According to BJ, it won't be long. If you can stand to wait, you might want to do that.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't expect it will be any worse than the Gen II on up. The later versions of the TVS make good boost numbers at lower rpm. Whether the 2.65 will not be as efficient as the 2.3 at slower blower speeds remains to be seen. If there's going to be a benefit, it's going to be at slower blower speeds than the 2.3 and should outflow the G2R on the top end.

If traction is an issue, either go with a larger upper pulley or find some rubber that hooks. I had fairly decent traction with 315/35-20s with a Gen I. With the built 5.8, cams and the Gen II, traction became an issue again. If that's a problem, I'm not sure throwing a bigger blower on it is a solution, regardless which brand you chose to patronize.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Oh, lol i was asking if there will be units available for sale or if its just a paper launch

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Oops! Yeah, I came away with a different question. According to BJ, we should start seeing something in the second quarter of 2017. May just be the prototype, but production is never far behind.

B.LaCe

Established Member
I pulled the trigger on the Whipple 2.9 this morning. Whipples went on sale today at Lethal and the 2.9 was the same price as the Gen2R. After talking to Mike at Wolfpackspeed (mechanic/tuner) and searching through the posts on here, I decided to go with the bigger blower.

Next is a Mcleod RXT, VMP Fuel pump booster and a throttle body. I'm curious to see what folks running the Whipple 2.9 are using for a throttle body and with what results. I'm being steered away from the VMP twinjets and the FP Cobra jets by my mechanic for tuning reasons. Judging by search results on here, the L&M 72mm seemed to work well with the 2.9. Matching the upper pulley size to the 15% lower to make the proper amount of boost may be an issue as well. Also debating going for bigger injectors at the time of install, as I'm thinking that will be the next "bottleneck" for more power. Thanks for all the help and any future advice/lessons!
-Cheers

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
" I'm curious to see what folks running the Whipple 2.9 are using for a throttle body and with what results. I'm being steered away from the VMP twinjets and the FP Cobra jets by my mechanic for tuning reasons. Judging by search results on here, the L&M 72mm seemed to work well with the 2.9. Matching the upper pulley size to the 15% lower to make the proper amount of boost may be an issue as well.
........2.9 on my 11

........3.4 on my 14

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
" I'm curious to see what folks running the Whipple 2.9 are using for a throttle body and with what results. I'm being steered away from the VMP twinjets and the FP Cobra jets by my mechanic for tuning reasons. Judging by search results on here, the L&M 72mm seemed to work well with the 2.9. Matching the upper pulley size to the 15% lower to make the proper amount of boost may be an issue as well.
........2.9 on my 11

........3.4 on my 14

Which do you prefer of the two?

Nice match on the powder coating - is that from whipple or did you do that yourself?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Your mechanic is misinforming you, if he's trying to steer you away from the Cobra Jet throttle body. There are zero tuning issues with that throttle body. I have the Super Cobra Jet monoblade on my 2.9 and have never had an issue with it. Before that, I had the Cobra Jet 65mm twin. Never had a problem with that one, either. I've had my Whipple for over 6 years.

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Which do you prefer of the two?

Nice match on the powder coating - is that from whipple or did you do that yourself?
I have more seat time in the 11, which has a Spec clutch & Barton short throw. I have hated the clutch in the 14 since day 1, so the 11 gets the driving enjoyment nod.
The 3.4 was powder coated by Whipple.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
The Super Cobra Jet mono makes more power than the VMP Twin 72, it's an Accufab made so quality is as good as it gets, and there is solid data out there for that TB so your tuner should be able to deliver OEM-like drivability with it.

The Whipple 170 flows better than the SCJ though, and is a near perfect match the the 2.9 Crusher inlet opening. That's your best bet for max power.

You won't go wrong with either the SCJ or Whipple 170, they both smoke all of the twin blade TBs on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread