NEW steeda k-member

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
STEEDA is a premium brand.
I used to work there, and I know how much effort went into it.
It corrects steering geometry especially on lowered cars.
Not just a light weight piece.

torchanniv03

Established Member
I think for that price, i would just go with the proven MM k member. Maybe im just scared to "pioneer" something, but im okay with that. :rolling: It def looks likw a nice piece though.

NYstanger

Established Member
Yes but whats nice with this is the ability to run stock arms and spring perches. Saves a bundle vs buying arms and coilovers especially for those w/ lowering springs already

Jroc

Established Member
Looks very nice.

I wonder if it requires the oil filter to be relocated?

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I got a response from Steeda and they said the oil filter remains in the stock location. They also said that there will be an article in MM&FF in the coming month that will include an install of the K-member plus pics.

Jroc

Established Member
^ The magazines already out. Its the February 2010 issue.

Evil_Capri

SteedaMike posted the article on TMS . . . .

FFM1.jpg

FFM2.jpg

FFM3.jpg

FFM4.jpg

FFM5.jpg

FFM6.jpg

FFM7.jpg

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
$700 to save 19lbs. Plus you can't install aluminum rack bushings, even the steeda ones.

MM or stay stock. On my '03 GT, I upgraded everything on the front suspension that I possibly could except for the k-member. I felt that I saved plenty of weight with the other parts and kept the strength of the big ass k-member. Handled amazing too.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
$700 to save 19lbs. Plus you can't install aluminum rack bushings, even the steeda ones.

MM or stay stock. On my '03 GT, I upgraded everything on the front suspension that I possibly could except for the k-member. I felt that I saved plenty of weight with the other parts and kept the strength of the big ass k-member. Handled amazing too.

agreed
and if you shop around you can get a MM K-member for much cheaper than 700 new.
it's tried and true and this offers NO improvements over the MM k other than the ability to run stock style springs and control arms, which is goofy. If your spending the 700 you should just go all out and get the coilovers and lightweight control arms or don't bother at all.

Jroc

Established Member
^ I agree MM all the way. How dare another company go out of their way to provide us with performance parts to improve our chassis/suspension geometry.

But seriously I feel that y'all should take your dicks out of MM ass and give props to Steeda for developing this very nice looking Kmember.

Sure MM makes a great Kmember, but to run it you're going to have to spend quite a few hundred on other parts as well.(A-arm, oil filter relocation kit, maybe more) I mean thats fine and there's nothing wrong with that if that what you feel you want to do, but the option of not having to do that, or do it at a later time is nice also. Plus the MM Kmember isn't going to save that much weight either.

BWH2003

Established Member
Im sorry but I disagree with you. This k-member might be nice but for 700 dollars it just isnt worth it. Either buy a nice piece for a little bit more that drops a lot more weight off the front end or dont waste the time replacing the stock one.

They dont have their dicks in MM's mouth. I have the PSR k-member and I feel the same way. Hell the steeda k-member only gives a 19 lb reduction if you use coil overs! Way to waste money. I mean if you have to buy the coil overs anyway to see the full weight reduction then why not just spend a little extra to get the light weight a arms? Personally I think they could have put some more time and effort into something other than another kmember that really doesnt give that great an improvement over stock.

Jroc

Established Member
^ I think you missunderstand the intent for these Kmembers. The Steeda and MM Kmembers are geared toward improving the cars handling. The PSR is not and is pretty much just a DR'ing kmember. If you feel that the weight saving the Steeda Kmember gives you makes it a waste of money then you obviously must feel the same way about the MM Kmember as its weight saving isn't much if any more than the Steeda's.

You don't buy the MM or Steeda Kmember because of the weight savings they give you. If weight savings is your priority then you look towards UPR, QA1, AJE, PSR, etc, but these Kmembers are geared towards drag racing over all else.

BTW I said "ass" not "mouth."

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'll stand firm that Steeda got in the game way late and delivered a mediocre product. That k-member is huge and bulky, meaning header clearance and turbo kit availability is nil, another reason for getting an aftermarket K.

Yes they fixed some of the geometry, just like MM and Griggs did years ago. My Griggs k-member is probably 8-10 years old and it has two mounting spots for the a-arms and fixes ackerman angles and stuff. Plus its very light, lighter than the MM judging by the tube sizes. Also, the K isn't the only part that fixes the suspension/steering angles. A arm geometry has a lot to do with it as well. Buying steeda's k-member and keeping everything else stock kind of defeats the purpose of upgrading your suspension to that point.

Like I said before, if you want to save some weight and make your steering/suspension much better, it's more effective to get a-arms and coilovers and keep the stock k-member.

About MM, they've made awesome tried and true parts for many years, plus are hardcore race tested. Steeda just gets in the game and they price their piece higher than all the competitors? Only the Steeda fanboys are going to go for that I'm afraid.

Oh, and there are other tubular k-members that let you keep the stock a-arms and springs, and they are much lighter.

black 10th vert

Established Member
No doubt it is a nice looking, and probably stiff piece, but like the others, I'm confused about who their target audience will be.:??: The only possible advantage that I see, is that it is probably for the guy who can't afford to go the full monty all at once with the suspension, so you can swap out the extra parts as you can afford to, while still having some improvement at each stage.:shrug: Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on "just" that k-member when I can pick up a full MM setup, or other, complete with tubular arms, and sometimes coilovers for the same money in the classifieds of any of the Mustang boards. If going brand new, you can do a complete UPR setup for not much more than that also. I think it's main shortcoming is that it is not competitively priced when compared to what is already out there. I would probably buy it at $450, or less, but above that, and I would just go full tubular...

Users who are viewing this thread