New Shifter Install

upl8dave

Established Member
Got my "mutt" shifter put together today and thought that I'd share a few insights. First of all, I wanted a MGW shifter (hands down the best),for my 09 GT/CS. The car is Dark Candy Apple Red with a black and gray interior. It seemed to me that a chrome Hurst shick with a classic white ball would be an ideal retro look. Only problem was the MGW has a round hole for the stick and the Hurst stick is about 5/16" x 1" rectangular. Kindergarten taught me that this wouldn't work, but monster garage taught me that it would. I had a local machine shop do some magic and everything came out perfect. I installed the shifter myself using my ramps (about 12" high). I wouldn't want to do that again. It would probably be a big enough pain to do it under a regular lift. The Hurst stick and rubber grommet came from Summit Racing. One other thing, I turned the adjustment for the throw 4 complete turns. It couldn't have come out better, shifts perfect.
Whadda ya think Indy Mach?
PICT0029.jpg

PICT0036.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
looks good, I agree the MGW is a great shifter, so did they cut a notch out of the handle then weld in a round bar to mate with the MGW receiver?

killr3v

Extreme Member
Established Member
nice man. Looks just like a hurst when it's all back together haha

Last edited:

upl8dave

Established Member
Stkjock
Just the opposite. The notch was cut into the round stock and the shift handle was slid into the notch and then welded.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
How much of an improvement was the shifter? I just bought an 06 Saleen and the shifter is sloppier than a some of my ex-girlfriends. I need to get this to feel solid and shift well.

upl8dave

Established Member
Well, I don't know what kind you have now, but you'll find a slew of guys that love their MGW's. I had one in my 03 Cobra and now in the 09 GT/CS. Couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread