New Shelby owner, saving a car.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Great save! Traditional colors and the glass roof as a bonus. Can't beat the setup.

I see the bags popped in the dash and looks like seats. Educate me on this. What bags popped and how much is that setting you back for those parts?

Tom

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty cool!

If you purchased it and fix it up for less than the price of an equally equiped ‘13, then it’s a big win!

(Oh great, another “look how awesome glass roofs are” thread that reinforces my one ordering regret)

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Congrats on the salvage, how many miles ??
Couldn't help but notice how clean the fluid was in the degas tank, like it was never used.............( it wasn't !! )

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
The curiosity is killing me... how much did that bad boy set you back at auction? ( understood if you’d rather not say).

Lets just say, that ill have 15k or more less into this, than buying this with a clean title, with these miles and options. And that will be fixed. I'm going to drive this every day that there isn't snow on the ground, so I've been looking to do a Shelby this way for nearly 2 years now, since id hate to pay a premium for one, and then beat it to death with miles.

Great save! Traditional colors and the glass roof as a bonus. Can't beat the setup.

I see the bags popped in the dash and looks like seats. Educate me on this. What bags popped and how much is that setting you back for those parts?

Tom

For all 4 bags, and the control module that needs to be replaced when they go off, is about $1,166.00 to me here at cost. So I don't think I could find salvage air bags for that much money. The seat belt tensioners can be rebuilt for about 300 for the pair as well.

Pretty cool!

If you purchased it and fix it up for less than the price of an equally equiped ‘13, then it’s a big win!

(Oh great, another “look how awesome glass roofs are” thread that reinforces my one ordering regret)

Yes, should save a ton of cash over a clean car. But this got tapped so lightly, I cant even believe they totaled it in the first place. And yes, you should have hit the glass back option bud ;-)

Silver Talon

Established Member
Congrats on the salvage, how many miles ??
Couldn't help but notice how clean the fluid was in the degas tank, like it was never used.............( it wasn't !! )

Car only has 41k miles on it. Not sure on the fluids yet. I contacted the owner Saturday last week, and he has the stock exhaust for the car that he is giving me. I forgot to ask him about service records, as they are not in the car. And would you care to explain about the fluid not being used? Is that a problem?

Brian

Silver Talon

Established Member
that's one of the rarest combinations too! good luck!

How would one go and find out how many cars have the same options as this one? I know there are only 68 or so cars in white, with a glass roof. But I'd love to know how many are the same.

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Car only has 41k miles on it. Not sure on the fluids yet. I contacted the owner Saturday last week, and he has the stock exhaust for the car that he is giving me. I forgot to ask him about service records, as they are not in the car. And would you care to explain about the fluid not being used? Is that a problem?

Brian
On the 13/14 MY's, the degas tank is T'd off of the coolant flow path, it also has a restricter in the upper hose.......( short hose off the T )
2014_IC_hose_002.jpg

It has long been known by owners that there is no flow or bubbles in the tank while the pump is running.
The fluid in the degas tank is not used, therefore remains " new ".

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
How would one go and find out how many cars have the same options as this one? I know there are only 68 or so cars in white, with a glass roof. But I'd love to know how many are the same.
The only recognized documentation for Fords is Marti Auto Works.
@ this point in time, " Stat " reports are not available for the 13/14 MY's. When they become available, the ( 1 ) page report, based on your VIN, costs $ 60.00.
I ordered one for my 2011, which turned out to be " 1 of 2 ", well worth the money.

Silver Talon

Established Member
On the 13/14 MY's, the degas tank is T'd off of the coolant flow path, it also has a restricter in the upper hose.......( short hose off the T )
View attachment 1505495
It has long been known by owners that there is no flow or bubbles in the tank while the pump is running.
The fluid in the degas tank is not used, therefore remains " new ".

Good to know! Thanks for the info!

The only recognized documentation for Fords is Marti Auto Works.
@ this point in time, " Stat " reports are not available for the 13/14 MY's. When they become available, the ( 1 ) page report, based on your VIN, costs $ 60.00.
I ordered one for my 2011, which turned out to be " 1 of 2 ", well worth the money.

Just ordered my delux report! Thanks! Cant wait to see what it says!

Silver Talon

Established Member
Update for you guys. This is from a few weeks ago, but I figured I'd share.

Got some work done on her. Pulled the fender off and slapped on another on. This one basically straight already, allowed us to open and close the passenger door without it binding on the fender! Car at this point seems very slightly tweaked, which is what we thought all along.

We then took the bent hood hinge off and straightened that out, and replaced it back on the car. After doing so, it appears the car is a wisker less than 1/4 inch off. The gap in the driver front, and back passenger side of the hood are identical. The car doesn't appear to be pushed back much at all, just tweaked over to the passenger side some.

Good news overall!!!
5158c9bfec2eff9aff47478ae740bc67.jpg
5cafb8f6b64045759d37cd02fb3f15a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Silver Talon

Established Member
Today, I brought the car down to the body shop to be straightened. It took some finesse to get hooked onto the nose to pull it, without damaging anything, or to have to have it stripped down more. But once it was figured up, she come right back to square!!!

The car still has the old bowed up hood, but its straight, and shows she back where she should be!

I ordered all the air bags and modules Monday, and all the needed body pieces on Tuesday. Everything should be here the first of the week. God this car has a ton of stripe pieces it needed! 6 separate ones for the hood, 6 for the front bumper, and the side stripes were all one kit. That's just craziness!!!

New hood, bumper cover, 14 stripe kits, crash pad, upper grille support, and lower air splitter, for 2200. So not bad considering. We should be painted and ready for assembly at the end of next week!!!
877d1e3936107c7d018f84c0cfef808d.jpg

merkyworks

Established Member
Since your painting at least half the car why not get the stripes painted on? Would guess that is cheaper than what ford wants for vinyl stripes.

Great progress, can wait to see it done.

Silver Talon

Established Member
I thought about painting stripes, but for now, I'll run the vinyl stuff. I'd love to clean up the bay, paint stripes under the hood, and paint the radiator area cover too, but I want to get her on the road first and enjoy it some before the white stuff comes up here in Maine.

And thanks for following guys! Glad everyone is enjoying the shelby saving!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I thought about painting stripes, but for now, I'll run the vinyl stuff. I'd love to clean up the bay, paint stripes under the hood, and paint the radiator area cover too, but I want to get her on the road first and enjoy it some before the white stuff comes up here in Maine.

And thanks for following guys! Glad everyone is enjoying the shelby saving!

I was in a similar situation. I already owned my car, but I got wrecked at the race track by a GTR. It was such a gut wrenching blow to see my car smashed in the front, and it wasnt even my fault. Repairs all out of pocket too; insurance wouldnt touch it and I didnt bother asking. Needed a new radiator core support, drivers fender, front bumper cover, hood and essentially the entire left front suspension. Id be happy to post pics if anyone's interested.

My journey took a few months, about 5K out of pocket but I got her back to 90%. In the coming months, Im going to have another body shop here in Phoenix try to get her back to 95-96%.

This car, and this project with your stepson will ALWAYS bring that much more value to this beautiful Shelby. Congrats and as a Shelby owner who has been in your shoes, thank you for saving her.

One thing to keep in mind, you may need a new spiral cable for the drivers air bag. Mine was melted when the bag deployed. Also, check the harness on the passenger dash airbag. As far as I remember, the SRS harnesses are all the same from the base to the Shelbys.

Users who are viewing this thread