New Rules on EBAY

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I was browsing ebay and noticed that bidder's names werent showing, and were replaced with "bidder 1" or "bidder 5" and no feedback rating being shown....then I read ebay's note:

As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

I have mixed feelings about this.....it's both good and bad IMO, good because it keeps your info private, but bad because you don't know if something is being schill bid anymore :bs:

tscripa

I was spoofed just 2 weeks ago. I was 2nd high bidder on an item and was sent a bogus 2nd chance offer. It was via email and looked very well done. However, it did not come through "my messages" and asked for personal info. I reported it to ebay and it was a fake. Definitely a rash of fraud out there so need to be cautious.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I get spoof emails that look VERY real almost on a weekly basis, not just ebay, but paypal, key bank, washington mutual, etc (some that I dont even have accounts with) trying to steal an identity....I've also gotten the 2nd chance offers and people have also asked me if I've given them 2nd chance offers after an auction, when I havent done so....I would hope this new policy reduces that from happening, but it seems the crooks keep finding new ways to steal anyhow....

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Supposedly Ebay does their own internal checks for shill bidding.

I'm not sure what I think about the new rule, because I like to know who I'm bidding against.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
mblgjr said:
Supposedly Ebay does their own internal checks for shill bidding.

I'm not sure what I think about the new rule, because I like to know who I'm bidding against.

I agree, I often see the same bidders on cobra R's (and similar situations with other cars) for sale, driving the price up, which makes me feel they are schilling to an unrealistic reserve....many times they are 0 feedback people which adds to the question of schilling....I guess the bottom line is, don't get caught up in a bidding frenzy, there will be other chances out there....

Cobra-R

Established Member
Went into Ebay for the first time, in a long time. Where did all the Cobra R stuff go? Other than wheels, there is nothing there? Has it been like this for a while?

Brian

03SBSVT

Banned
a large problem with this is that alot of the spoof emails come from people hacking your account, so if they hack the seller's account they can still send out the spoof emails...happened to my sister on ebay awhile back, somebody hacked her account, changed her email address so all the emails went to them, and tried to sell stereo equipment through buy it now paypal only out of the UK or something, she got hit with all sorts of fees and found out before the 24hr auction ended, and she ended it herself so she didn't ruin her name on ebay....its sad really..

kevin

SharkSlayer said:
I was spoofed just 2 weeks ago. I was 2nd high bidder on an item and was sent a bogus 2nd chance offer. It was via email and looked very well done. However, it did not come through "my messages" and asked for personal info. I reported it to ebay and it was a fake. Definitely a rash of fraud out there so need to be cautious.

i've been getting many "spoofs" of late on email addresses that have no ebay account assigned to them. i keep turning them in.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
03SBSVT said:
a large problem with this is that alot of the spoof emails come from people hacking your account, so if they hack the seller's account they can still send out the spoof emails...happened to my sister on ebay awhile back, somebody hacked her account, changed her email address so all the emails went to them, and tried to sell stereo equipment through buy it now paypal only out of the UK or something, she got hit with all sorts of fees and found out before the 24hr auction ended, and she ended it herself so she didn't ruin her name on ebay....its sad really..
I had that happen also....someone from germany of all places! and had a scammer do buy it now on my brother's boat I was selling for him....the bidder was from ireland!!! it was the classic "i'll send a check for cost plus 1000 for shipping to my country" fake check routine :bs:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Went into Ebay for the first time, in a long time. Where did all the Cobra R stuff go? Other than wheels, there is nothing there? Has it been like this for a while?

Brian

It has been pretty sparse for quite some time.

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
NJ2000R said:
I have mixed feelings about this.....it's both good and bad IMO, good because it keeps your info private, but bad because you don't know if something is being schill bid anymore :bs:

I noticed so much fraud on eBay that I stopped bidding a long time ago. I have bought a few items when I could call or contact the owner for a private transaction.
IMO:
1) The rules on PayPal favor Paypal. The owner of the money has little protection or legal rights (compared to Bank accounts and credit cards).
2) I see so many people making bids while knowing they have no intention of buying the item. They aren't doing it for fraudulent reasons: I think they are just bored. I posted the bidding history for "Quiet" on one of these threads. He bid on almost every Ford GT, Jag, and BMW on auction. He had a good feedback number but only on low priced items. He no more was in the market for a $200K car than my wife's cat.
3) It's obvious to me that people make shill bids. A few times the dishonesty is reported, and eBay shuts down the auction. Why doesn't eBay throw them out forever? I guess eBay wants their money in future fees? If a person is dishonest enough to shill an auction, he'll certainly screw you as badly as he can in any real world business transaction.
4) I see so many winning bids that are never finalized. You never really know if your item is sold until you receive good funds. The winning bidders seem to always come up with an excuse that allows them to slip by. In the meantime, the owner has to fork out more fees to re-list the item.

Someone should create an eBay-like auction site for honest people.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I like seeing the bidders and being able to see what they were bidding on. It lets you know if that person is a joke or not.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Brian

I have noticed that also, hence the prices for real R's and real R parts has gone higher. The flood of R sales dried up after the "quick $$$ investment people" bailed out 3 or so years ago, it has steadily slowed since then. It appears that the current R owners are either enjoying their R's and not selling, or storing their cars for later sale when the market is stronger.

I am also not surfing eBay as much. I have been investing more time with our very young children. My 17 month old sat in the front seat of the 2-Top (top down) on Saturday as we drove around to the rear garage his little hand was waving above the passenger door as he was saying, "bye-bye!!" to Mommy.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Robert M said:
I copied and pasted this 95R auction this morning and have just looked at it again, it is still showing the bidders in the new format. If you click on the bid history, the new bidder info. is still listed on this auction.

You must get a different screen than I do. I only see two bidders: Bidder 1 bid $17,050 and then Bidder 2 bid $25,000.

This is the third time this car has been auctioned. The last time the high bid was $25K, and it wasn't sold.

I can't really verify that the seller isn't the high bidder. :shrug:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
You must get a different screen than I do. I only see two bidders: Bidder 1 bid $17,050 and then Bidder 2 bid $25,000.

This is the third time this car has been auctioned. The last time the high bid was $25K, and it wasn't sold.

I can't really verify that the seller isn't the high bidder. :shrug:

No, I see the same thing, Bidder 1 and Bidder 2 which looks like eBay is still hiding the Bidders ID's per their new rules. If it ends up back on eBay shortly, see if it is the same seller.

R

Users who are viewing this thread