New revised head !!

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
This is a little off topic but do you guys know what is happening with the heads they are taking off? Are they repairable? The reason I ask is because warranty on 03's is running out next year and this will all be on our own dime if it happens. Is it as simple as putting in a new valve and guide? Maybe buying an extended warranty now is a good idea. ?

V8Mustang

Established Member
evans03c said:
This is a little off topic but do you guys know what is happening with the heads they are taking off? Are they repairable? The reason I ask is because warranty on 03's is running out next year and this will all be on our own dime if it happens. Is it as simple as putting in a new valve and guide? Maybe buying an extended warranty now is a good idea. ?

Why would you want to put a new valve and guide in a poorly designed head that will screw up again? There is a design flaw somewhere and you really need to push Ford to give you better heads.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Willie said:
Oh man, that's bad news..... How does the ticking sound compare to the original head? Cold vs. warm, intensity, etc.?

I read up there somewhere that you're hearing it on a cold engine. This sounds like something else. Maybe when the third gen head was installed, the tech didn't torque something to spec and it gradually came loose? Just throwing ideas out there....

Willie

Yep, these are all possibilities. If they can't find the noise I will be finding it out on my own. The sound is real intense almost like the engine is out of oil. Wierd I can't believe thet can't hear this sound at startup.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
agreed. I think it would be ok though if there was a way for them to port or improve the cooling passages of existing heads. I doubt if that's possible though. I think if this problem was happening with Ford Explorer's there might be a different approach to it than what we're getting now from Ford. It's all in the numbers.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Willie said:
I read up there somewhere that you're hearing it on a cold engine. This sounds like something else. Maybe when the third gen head was installed, the tech didn't torque something to spec and it gradually came loose? Just throwing ideas out there....

Willie
Agreed. I don't think it's the head that's the problem. Ford took a long time to release the 3rd generation heads, and I have a feeling they did their homework correctly this time. However, it could be the head, ya never know. :shrug:

Beetle6986

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Also does anyone know who exactly besides me that has had any problems with the newest head? I hear people say there have been other failures but I never see these folks chime in. We need facts and I feel like I am the only one with a dead beat head. If I had more information to bring for my case they might look at my head a little closer.

I have the new head on my car. Same old tick is there again after a few hundred miles. Its just not quite as loud as it was before. Not sure what to do now. I guess if it doesnt get any louder, I will live with it. If it gets louder the car goes back. BTW, the car is stock.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
I have the new head on my car. Same old tick is there again after a few hundred miles. Its just not quite as loud as it was before. Not sure what to do now. I guess if it doesnt get any louder, I will live with it. If it gets louder the car goes back. BTW, the car is stock.

So you have a third gen head that is ticking ?

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Third Gen, installed 3-4 weeks ago. Also, no blue stripe on 3rd gen heads since they are not going on new production vehicles for quick reference of drivers side head upon installation.
In one of your posts above, you said the head that just failed IS a blue stripe head, I'm confused? Did you have a replacement head installed before the 3rd generation head?

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
My warranty runs out in a few months and Ford is being gay about fixing the head problem. The Tick is so loud to. The car is bone stock and always taken care of. If i caught them rubing my car with a rag I would first go punch the guy who did it and then make them paint the car. I already took a million pics of the car so if they ever do replace the head, and they put a nick in the paint they will also be painting the fenders.

03 red vert

Talked w/ an old school mechanic. He stated the tick issue sounds very similar to the old Pontiac 389 V8 motor. The issue w/ that motor was a poor block and head design; hence premature valve (guide) and piston wear.

Interesting how the 2 valve 4.6L has TSBs for the same ticking. Maybe the problem is also the block.

Per the 389 motor, they did everything and anything to lower the operating temperature of the motor (largest radiator that fit, high performance water pump, oil cooler, etc.), but guide wear was inevitable. Then the Pontiac 400 motor came out which did not have the issue.

Cooling the operating temperature of the motor may help.

Makes me think about not changing the stock pullies. Then again, if the end result is inevitable, why not put on a 2.76 pulley and destroy the head expeditiously.

BurnTire

Established Member
red03vert said:
Talked w/ an old school mechanic. He stated the tick issue sounds very similar to the old Pontiac 389 V8 motor. The issue w/ that motor was a poor block and head design; hence premature valve (guide) and piston wear.

Interesting how the 2 valve 4.6L has TSBs for the same ticking. Maybe the problem is also the block.

Per the 389 motor, they did everything and anything to lower the operating temperature of the motor (largest radiator that fit, high performance water pump, oil cooler, etc.), but guide wear was inevitable. Then the Pontiac 400 motor came out which did not have the issue.

Makes me think about not changing the stock pullies. Then again, if the end result is inevitable, why not put on a 2.76 pulley and destroy the head expeditiously.

Just put a 3.1 on and enjoy a little longer.

V8Mustang

Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
Took the Cobra to work today and it was around 85 degrees. Now its ticking as loud as it was before the fix.

How many miles on your car? When did you first notice the tick, mileage-wise? What is the build date?

Beetle6986

Established Member
V8Mustang said:
How many miles on your car? When did you first notice the tick, mileage-wise? What is the build date?

Less than 4,000 on the car. I noticed the tick the first week I had the car (probably less than 100 miles). I think the build date is 11/03. The tick was noticable on the new heads after about 100 to 200 miles. :mj:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
Less than 4,000 on the car. I noticed the tick the first week I had the car (probably less than 100 miles). I think the build date is 11/03. The tick was noticable on the new heads after about 100 to 200 miles. :mj:

Bad news or good news for me is that Ford can't duplicate the noise. So I am going to pick the car back up today. Maybe it stopped, I have a hard time believing this to be true.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
red03vert said:

Sad but possibly very true. We even have aluminum heads that really (dissapate)sp heat. I don't think either one of the old pontiac engines had aluminum heads, they had good old casties.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Sad but possibly very true. We even have aluminum heads that really (dissapate)sp heat. I don't think either one of the old pontiac engines had aluminum heads, they had good old casties.

They certainly dissapate heat better than cast, but they're not as durable. Everything has to be a double-edged sword! :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread