New revised head !!

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
This whole thing is like a bad urban legend. The fix is basically to stick a new head on your car. Its been tough to get any really confirmation whether the head is actually different or not. Lots of rumors and speculation but it wouldnt surprise me if its just another head they slap on there.

some people have had it replaced 3 times and they still get the tick. others never get it, some only get it replaced once and it never comes back.
sure doesnt sound like its actually a "fixed" head.

ah well, as long as they keep replacing them under warranty what can you do.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
The reason I asked for a part # was they shipped an old #'ed head for my head replacment last week. :shrug:
My teck noticed it was not the # I had giving him a few weeks earlier.
Now resending the proper part # as of TSB 3-15 I think.
There are gonna try to hold on to the old style/#'ed head and let me see the two heads side by side when the new one comes in.

JP

SouthTXSnake

Established Member
JP said:
The reason I asked for a part # was they shipped an old #'ed head for my head replacment last week. :shrug:
My teck noticed it was not the # I had giving him a few weeks earlier.
Now resending the proper part # as of TSB 3-15 I think.
There are gonna try to hold on to the old style/#'ed head and let me see the two heads side by side when the new one comes in.

JP

The same thing happened when they ordered my head JP. My service advisor called SVT, and apparently its the same head but the part #'s haven't been updated in fords system. Kind of to believe that they wouldn't updated it, but so far my head hasn't started ticking. Only time will tell.

Sorry to hear about your replacement head Yates...Man. Hope Ford can make things right for you.

JP

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
BuffDigits said:
This whole thing is like a bad urban legend. The fix is basically to stick a new head on your car. Its been tough to get any really confirmation whether the head is actually different or not. Lots of rumors and speculation but it wouldnt surprise me if its just another head they slap on there.

some people have had it replaced 3 times and they still get the tick. others never get it, some only get it replaced once and it never comes back.
sure doesnt sound like its actually a "fixed" head.

ah well, as long as they keep replacing them under warranty what can you do.

WDWMKR said:
I think most people agree with your theory on the valve guides. Unfortunately, that does nothing to help us as everyone can't yank their heads to install flow-restricting guides, nor does any company offer a better-designed head replacement.
[/QOUTE]

I agree with both of you guys, I mean if we call SVT up they say it has improved cooling passages, but does it really. Lets face it this head sounds like it has isolated usage after this year all other new 32valve heads are diffrent revisions. With that being said I can't see where they would build a whole new casting to solve this issue. I don't know enough to even speak intelligently about this but there is no other vehicle out there that I would rather be driving. I don't even really want the new Shelby because it doesn't really look that balls to the wall like the 03-04. I hate chevrolet and everybody has a Vette in this town. subarus are not who I am if i have to get rid of this car I will cry when it drives away, and I will probably be driving a f250 4x4 powerstroke with as many performance upgrades I can find. Truthfully I bleed blue and I am in love with this car I just can't figure out why Ford can't get there sh*t together.

Maybe the 5.4 DOHC Head will be bettter! Then we can all get those and throw them on! Maybe larger valves and better flowing ports. And a rear coolant crossover that works. :shrug:

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I don't see anyone talking about going to FR500 heads. They are listed as being a fit for 99-04 Corbr's. There's some threads on Modularfords.com about it. I think if I was at the dealer haggling over this stuff I would show them all these threads and tell them I want a different head, especially if they had already been changed once. I'm not sure but I think 2000 Cobra R heads might be another option.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5397

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
It looks like the FR500 heads aren't any better. This thread says they are prone to the same cooling problems in the 6,7 and 8 cyclinders. This is a great write up for anyone who hasn't read it yet. He says the blue stripe indicates an improved casting for better coolant flow though which goes against what everyone has been saying here about it!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2173843&postcount=6

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
evans03c said:
It looks like the FR500 heads aren't any better. This thread says they are prone to the same cooling problems in the 6,7 and 8 cyclinders. This is a great write up for anyone who hasn't read it yet. He says the blue stripe indicates an improved casting for better coolant flow though which goes against what everyone has been saying here about it!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2173843&postcount=6

If you talk to SVT the blue stripe has nothing to do with casting and left and right sides are the exact casting. However the blue stripe did indicate that the head was machined diffrently from the passenger side head. So this would eliminate the assemblers from having to read the model number on the head everytime. This is the ONLY diffrence between the Blue stripe and no blue stripe. The head that just failed on my car was a blue stripe head also. Hopefully the new head "no stripe" will be better than that head was. Ford is not using the blue stripe on any new driver side heads because these heads are not currently going to SVT assemblers for mass assembly, in other words you must read the part number on the head to decifer between left and right sides.

Good and bad news on my situation, Ford can't duplicate the noise. They said they start the car and do not hear the hammering from number eight. They are going to try this a few more times to see if they can duplicate the noise. More frustration for me Yipppeee.

Last edited:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Also does anyone know who exactly besides me that has had any problems with the newest head? I hear people say there have been other failures but I never see these folks chime in. We need facts and I feel like I am the only one with a dead beat head. If I had more information to bring for my case they might look at my head a little closer.

Oh and I thought you guys might find this interesting. When I pulled my car up to the Ford dealer I let the tech listen to my number eight cylinder as I placed the tip of my vibration scope on the bolt that goes through the valve cover to the head between exhaust valves 1 and 2 on cylinder number eight. He could hear a definant noise difference from that cylinder verses the numer 5 cylinder.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
yep, that was my understanding about it also. I called SVT a while back but I still didn't understand what the blue stripe actually meant. Sorry to hear that Ford isn't stepping up yet for you. Don't let up!

I was talking to my tuner guy the other day because I was concerned about developing the tick when I put on a Whipple and do a tune. He was pretty adamant that I should be able to just take the car in to Ford and they would pretty much have to replace the head because it is on a TSB, regardless of any mods. on the car. Obviously he hasn't actually done this.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
evans03c said:
yep, that was my understanding about it also. I called SVT a while back but I still didn't understand what the blue stripe actually meant. Sorry to hear that Ford isn't stepping up yet for you. Don't let up!

I was talking to my tuner guy the other day because I was concerned about developing the tick when I put on a Whipple and do a tune. He was pretty adamant that I should be able to just take the car in to Ford and they would pretty much have to replace the head because it is on a TSB, regardless of any mods. on the car. Obviously he hasn't actually done this.

Well to give you a heads up they grilled me. They wanted to know if it had ever been pullied, tuned, etc. I was shocked. Then Ford wanted all of my maintenance receipts. Once again I was shocked but I was able to produce the documentation. They checked tire wear but guess what, she has a brand new set of Nittos on her feet so they couldn't go there. Then I know they rubbed the fenders down for rubber residue because I saw a rag sitting on a rear tire while it was sitting in the garage. Guess what? Not only did they not find any rubber but their rag would have been clean after the wipe down because I'm an anal mofro that keeps things ship shape.

The only thing they could hit me on was the Stage III Spec, Quadrant and adjuster, Magnaflows, and Kirban shifter. But if they went that route to void the warranty I would have been very surprised. Oh, and the FIPK I have you better believe that comes off every time this car enters the shop.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Well to give you a heads up they grilled me. They wanted to know if it had ever been pullied, tuned, etc. I was shocked. Then Ford wanted all of my maintenance receipts. Once again I was shocked but I was able to produce the documentation. They checked tire wear but guess what, she has a brand new set of Nittos on her feet so they couldn't go there. Then I know they rubbed the fenders down for rubber residue because I saw a rag sitting on a rear tire while it was sitting in the garage. Guess what? Not only did they not find any rubber but their rag would have been clean after the wipe down because I'm an anal mofro that keeps things ship shape.

The only thing they could hit me on was the Stage III Spec, Quadrant and adjuster, Magnaflows, and Kirban shifter. But if they went that route to void the warranty I would have been very surprised. Oh, and the FIPK I have you better believe that comes off every time this car enters the shop.
Wow, that's an insane dealer. :eek: When I took my car in to have both heads replaced, they never asked me anything, and didn't say one word about my shifter/catback. By the way, neither of my new revised heads have the "blue stripe" Could the "blue stripe" head be a 2nd generation head?

Last edited:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
SilverCobra04 said:
Wow, that's an insane dealer. :eek: When I took my car in to have both heads replaced, they never asked me anything, and didn't say one word about my shifter/catback. By the way, neither of my new revised heads have the "blue stripe" Could the "blue stripe" head be a 2nd generation head?

Yep so far only the second gen heads drivers side ever had the blue stripe. Maybe a few first gen heads had it but I'm sure there were very few of these since I have never seen one myself.

Willie

Established Member
Here are facts related to my experience:

'03 -- Built 06/14/02

Tick was hardly noticeable but identified by Ford and replacement authorized per TSB #03-11-04.

Head replaced with second generation design, P/N 3R2Z-6049-GA, Jan, 2005.

This head had a blue stripe (verified by me).

Tick returned almost immediately and significantly louder.

Decided to wait -- embarassed to drive -- always kill engine when stopped at drive thru's. Unbearable hearing that tick against a curb/building....

When news of the third generation head, P/N 2C5Z-049-BAB, was released, I went back to the dealership.

They denied a second head replacement.

I approached the service dept. manager with info about the third generation head; that ordering the second gen head P/N per TSB will get you the third gen head. He did not know this. After a few phone calls, he approved my request.

I have ~1,000 miles on third gen head. No tick heard yet.

This head has no blue stripe (verified by me).

So Yates...man, do you currently have the second or third gen head?

Willie

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Willie said:
Here are facts related to my experience:

'03 -- Built 06/14/02

Tick was hardly noticeable but identified by Ford and replacement authorized per TSB #03-11-04.

Head replaced with second generation design, P/N 3R2Z-6049-GA, Jan, 2005.

This head had a blue stripe (verified by me).

Tick returned almost immediately and significantly louder.

Decided to wait -- embarassed to drive -- always kill engine when stopped at drive thru's. Unbearable hearing that tick against a curb/building....

When news of the third generation head, P/N 2C5Z-049-BAB, was released, I went back to the dealership.

They denied a second head replacement.

I approached the service dept. manager with info about the third generation head; that ordering the second gen head P/N per TSB will get you the third gen head. He did not know this. After a few phone calls, he approved my request.

I have ~1,000 miles on third gen head. No tick heard yet.

This head has no blue stripe (verified by me).

So Yates...man, do you currently have the second or third gen head?

Willie

Third Gen, installed 3-4 weeks ago. Also, no blue stripe on 3rd gen heads since they are not going on new production vehicles for quick reference of drivers side head upon installation.

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
Oh man, that's bad news..... How does the ticking sound compare to the original head? Cold vs. warm, intensity, etc.?

I read up there somewhere that you're hearing it on a cold engine. This sounds like something else. Maybe when the third gen head was installed, the tech didn't torque something to spec and it gradually came loose? Just throwing ideas out there....

Willie

Users who are viewing this thread