New revised head !!

03 red vert

These might help

160 degree thermostat, larger radiator, high performance water pump, oil cooler, upgraded heat exchanger w/ fans, CAI into the fender well...

Possibly fins to in the fenders or hood can possible help.

Upgrade the exhaust to increase the flow out of the motor.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Don't forget the relocated thermostat housing and modified block water inlet (the largest coolant restriction in the entire system).

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
Less than 4,000 on the car. I noticed the tick the first week I had the car (probably less than 100 miles). I think the build date is 11/03.
How ironic, my build date is 11/03 as well, and I developed the tick very early as well. The tick was dealer verified. The new heads seem to be holding up pretty well. :coolman:

micksnip

Established Member
good head

Folks-I had an 03 that was a nightmare-and Ford helped make the nightmare into night terrors and paranoia for me. I admit, I raced it at the 1/4 w/300 mi on it and switched to 5-30 Mobile 1. Anyway, after hot-lapping her with 5 min max cooldown, I developed the tick. At the same time, I had blackpaint, and it came with such crappy crearcoat etched from acid rain I guess. Mine was #273 or so-built May 02. Well, Kevin the mechanic did a great job replacing the head-no tick. BUT, Ford decided to repaint all horizontal surfaces with their expert alcoholic painter and his lying crew. What an abortion! Finally they replaced all the gaskets around the windows and did a crappy repaint, full of unpainted parts and runs and lies. I finally got Ford to cash in the 03, I used the $ and 3k rebate to get an 04(no color mentioned-they read this board-the ones who can read). I did 2 things-looked at it for 2 hrs w/a flashlight to see if there was any acid rain damage-none. The 2 next to it had tons of acid rain damage and very poor fitment of panels(like my 03). Second, I am using a breakin procedure suggested by Amsoil. Vary rpm, allow to get to op temp then allow 24 hrs till next drive. Somehow it helps harden or temper the internals. I've run it over 5000 twice in 1000 mi, and am using regular ford oil-no synth till after 3-4000 miles. And I'd use every cooling mod known to man.Hate to pee on your cheerios, but no tick! My 03 was in the shop over 90 days total. I won't allow one ford mechanic or body man to touch my car. I love it, and my heart goes out to you guys w/the tick and multiple replacement heads. I've said before, why doesn't Ford warranty all w/ticks, regardless of mods, etc, and who doesn't one of our mags like MMFF cut a ticking hear open and see WTF it is. They're great at showing us how to install stuff, but are they AFRAID of FORD and don't want to expose them? How about some tuners with balls like JDM or HBH? Ticking means pieces of crap in your engine, and that can't be good. My advice-slow breakin and no mods right away. My 03 sounded like it had a solid lifter cam without the lifters adjusted. Then the bulls... to get a dealer look, hear, then approve a head? VERY SORRY FOR THE LONG POST, but ford is into the 05's now and could give a rat's droppings about us-except wait till the end of our warranties to give us a new head-so maybe we'll buy an extended warranty??? Micksnip

V8Mustang

Established Member
Thanks for all of the info and sucks what Ford put you through :cuss:

ford is into the 05's now and could give a rat's droppings about us-except wait till the end of our warranties to give us a new head-so maybe we'll buy an extended warranty??? Micksnip

That's right folks. I've had past experiences with them over a flawed engine design in another vehicle. They will use every excuse to do as little as possible in hopes that you will go away and/or your warranty will expire before something lets go. They are a giant company and they could care less about serving the customer and correcting problems they created. Bottom line is money for them, period! They need to take lessons from Lexus.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
Head part number

Where is the head part number at? Is it visible form the outside (without removing the valve cover)? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread