New reason for off-road X/H pipes!

stvdman

Established Member
DAMN THIEVES!

As prices of precious metals skyrocket, thieves are targeting an obscure component of automotive exhaust systems in lightning thefts that can be accomplished in less than a minute, police and automotive experts say.

The component is the catalytic converter, which has been a mandatory part of exhaust systems since 1975. Police across the country say they have seen a dramatic rise in thefts of the components in recent months.

If you peer inside a used catalytic converter, nothing looks salvageable, much less valuable. But some of the gray gunk in there hides three expensive precious metals.

Catalytic converters have only small traces of the metals — platinum, palladium and rhodium — but there’s enough in them for a thief to resell stolen units for up to $200 apiece. Rhodium is among the most expensive metals on Earth, commanding as much as $6,000 an ounce on the open market.

Scrap dealers “are paying top dollar — platinum, palladium, rhodium inside of them — and they’re getting top dollar” on resale, said Jack Bell of North Shore Towing, which tows vehicles for the Evanston, Ind., police.

“The word spreads real quick about it, what they’re worth,” said Marty Antonelli of Marty’s Welding and Muffler Shop in Pittsburgh. “Everybody is on them now.”

Easy to find = easy to steal
The converters are inviting targets because they’re easy to grab. Mounted on the exterior undercarriage of vehicles, they can be removed in about a minute with any standard metal cutting tool. An enterprising thief in a crowded parking lot or garage can make off with enough converters to clear $2,000 or $3,000 in half an hour.

“These thieves are targeting shopping malls, school parking lots, busy business districts, and they are hitting these places in the daylight,” said Jennifer Krings, a spokeswoman for AAA. “A lot of the large passenger cars — SUVs, trucks and vans — have two, so those are a target.”

Rest of the story found here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23117250

SN95StangMan

Established Member
LOL, my dads neighbor came over one morning to ask me what was wrong with his truck because he started it up in the morning and it sounded like one of those "crazy dragster cars."

Looked underneath and his cats were gone.

:lol:

Sucked for him though. I challenge anyone to try and squeeze under my car, or any other lowered mustang for that matter, and take the two cats in under a minute.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
With a sawzall you could cut the pipes like butter, it's getting under the cars that's the problem.

I hope one of these thieves gets caught under a car sometime as the driver gets in a leaves. Let them get dragged for a few miles and they may rethink their current occupation.

fire

Bleeding Blue
Established Member
With a sawzall you could cut the pipes like butter, it's getting under the cars that's the problem.

I hope one of these thieves gets caught under a car sometime as the driver gets in a leaves. Let them get dragged for a few miles and they may rethink their current occupation.

come on, i know they work good and i've cut alot of exhausts but its definetly not THAT easy... i mean who the **** doesnt report a guy under a car in the middle of a parking lot with a sawzaw, if it was me id knock that mofo out

bullitt890

Established Member
we have had huge problems with this in my area lately, mostly targeting honda/toyotas. there have been a couple cases where the thieves used a jack to get under the cars. worst part is they were not paying attention to where they are placing the jack because they dont care :nonono:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Now say they are trying to steal your cats and the exhaust is hot and they burn themselves, are you liable? :shrug:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
sons of bitches stole the ****in' cat out of my damn tracker! the muffler had rusted off before that, so it was already pretty loud. being the thing turns at about 3000RPM in 5th gear at probably 40MPH, and the average highway speed around here is 70MPH, it was ungodly. i had to drive 1 hour(1 way) to columbus a couple times to. ****in' pricks.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I have to say of all the crimes, this is pretty funny. I mean, don't get me wrong, it sucks and all, but wow...really.

Users who are viewing this thread