New rear tires

digital911

Established Member
Hello, I have a 2004 cobra vert and it still has the original goodyear tires on the back which now need changing. What I am looking for is a good tire that will launch from a dead stop very well (with minimal wheel hop) and can handle cornering well. Obviously the tire also needs to handle wet weather.
I hear the Nitto drag radials are a good choice.
Before I waste my money, would someone please tell me what tire based on their own experience with this particular car would be the best for the rear only based on what I said I am looking for? The car is a daily driver with original rims.

Current Mods:

K&N CAI +30hp
26spline input shaft to t56
stage 2 promotion clutch
irs rear brace

Near future mods:

Posi performance race port and dragon tb
MAFF
BAP

Thanks.

Last edited:

digital911

Established Member
New rear tires on 2004 vert

Daily driver, weekend toy..?? Power level, rim size? MODS????? Put your mods in your sig.

Oh yes sorry, the current mod is K&N CAI (the one that boosts up to 33 HP), 26spline inputshaft, IRS brace, and Stage II clutch
Yes it's a daily driver.
Rim size is OEM.
I will be adding the race port by Posi performance with Match Ported Dragon tb/plenum in about 1 month. So I estimate the car right now has about 420 HP to the crank and after the port work will have about 520 to the crank.
With all of that said what would you do?

cobracide

Established Member
Oh yes sorry, the current mod is K&N CAI (the one that boosts up to 33 HP), 26spline inputshaft, IRS brace, and Stage II clutch
Yes it's a daily driver.
Rim size is OEM.
I will be adding the race port by Posi performance with Match Ported Dragon tb/plenum in about 1 month. So I estimate the car right now has about 420 HP to the crank and after the port work will have about 520 to the crank.
With all of that said what would you do?

You need to step up the rim size to 10.5" in the rear to get any traction after your mods so plan accordingly. It will also look pretty bad ass with them too. Check out American Racing rims with ARP studs, 3/8" spacers, Gorilla open ended lug nuts.

I recommend 315 DS-G3's for a daily driver on 10.5" rims for your future power level. Awesome wet traction and very good dry traction.

I have pretty much the exact mods you are planning and have done the rims/tires (see sig). Still traction limited but easy enough to stay in control.

Last edited:

FrankeSVT

Enthusiast
Established Member
Bunch of guys here recommended the Nitto Nt05's. I am getting them installed tomorrow. I have heard great thing about them, great wet and dry performance at a good price. I got mine for 300 for a set of 2 delivered to my doorstep.

digital911

Established Member
Bunch of guys here recommended the Nitto Nt05's. I am getting them installed tomorrow. I have heard great thing about them, great wet and dry performance at a good price. I got mine for 300 for a set of 2 delivered to my doorstep.

Do you have the original rim size on the back still?

digital911

Established Member
Seems a little overkill

I want the rims to match perfectly like they do now, how did you manage that on your car, did you purchase 4 new rims? I really don't want to have to do that. So what you're saying is the original rear tire size/rim size will not work well with approximately 500hp?

You need to step up the rim size to 10.5" in the rear to get any traction after your mods so plan accordingly. It will also look pretty bad ass with them too. Check out American Racing rims with ARP studs, 3/8" spacers, Gorilla open ended lug nuts.

I recommend 315 DS-G3's for a daily driver on 10.5" rims for your future power level. Awesome wet traction and very good dry traction.

I have pretty much the exact mods you are planning and have done the rims/tires (see sig). Still traction limited but easy enough to stay in control.

cobracide

Established Member
I want the rims to match perfectly like they do now, how did you manage that on your car, did you purchase 4 new rims? I really don't want to have to do that. So what you're saying is the original rear tire size/rim size will not work well with approximately 500hp?

Two larger rear rims/tires. That's how I did it. Maybe you can squeeze 295's on the stock rims. Nittos run narrow and DS-G3's run fatter.

digital911

Established Member
What I am saying is, how did you match your rear rims with the front ones? I really like the looks of the OEM rims on the car, so if I upgrade the rear only to a larger size rim, how do you think I could match the look to the front rims?

cobracide

Established Member
What I am saying is, how did you match your rear rims with the front ones? I really like the looks of the OEM rims on the car, so if I upgrade the rear only to a larger size rim, how do you think I could match the look to the front rims?

Wider rear rim -A lot of people do it and it looks nice and it is useful to get more traction. If you're not into that, that's fine - I understand.

Slow down, read a bit and do some research to find out more of what YOU might want. Then you can get a better direction of where to go.

Let me just say that "R" compound tires are not for the street and a daily driver. The wet performance is poor.

The NT05's are a fine tire and cheaper than the DS-G3's. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Some reading reference:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ns-211/745343-tire-question.html#post10343740

Last edited:

FrankeSVT

Enthusiast
Established Member
NT05 or NT05R ???

Nt05 is what you want if you will be driving in the rain. And yes i still have the stock 17x9 on the back. I just installed 275/40/r17 NT05 on my rears. They rode well on the way back. I am actually looking forward to see how they fair on wet roads.

digital911

Established Member
I don't want to change the RIMS so what about the Nitto NT555R tires? Would I be OK with this choice for the rear as a daily driver?
Thanks

FrankeSVT

Enthusiast
Established Member
I don't want to change the RIMS so what about the Nitto NT555R tires? Would I be OK with this choice for the rear as a daily driver?
Thanks

As stated before you are not going to want the "R" compound Nitto's for a daily. However, if you for some reason wanted these tires I just took my old ones off, 315/35/r17 (fit stock 17x9), that have very light wear on them, about 1000miles that I am most likely going to sell.

It sounds like you need to do some more research about this by reading around here and tire supply sites. :read:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
FrankSVT you are correct. On a 10.5" wheel, what would be the optimum tire size. A 315/35/r17 or r18?

The last set of numbers is the wheel size:R=radial, the next number is wheel size. Stock wheel size is 17" your not going to put a 18" tire meant for a 18" wheel on a 17" wheel. As stated above the Nitto tires are not as wide as other tires but I would not recommend a 315 size tire on a 9" wide wheel. If you want to keep the stock wheels= 17x 9" wide, 275 would be your best bet.

good luck! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread