New Race Wheels and Tires!!!

cgaulzetti

Established Member
hi guys:
i figured i'd give you an update on my GT500 road race build.

way back when this project started- i worked with Sam Strano at stranoparts.com to come up with the proper offsets to allow me to run 18x11 tires all around. We went with forgeline CF5s in silver- which should look great on the alloy car that has a bunch of sponsorship graphics in white, pink, and teal.

i was originally looking for tires that would allow me to drive on the road a little bit if i had to- but would really be solely for track days and autocross. i looked at everything from Nitto NT01s, to Toyo R888s, to Hoosier slicks, and even considered some weird stuff like Falken Azenis RT615s.

the issue was quickly becoming one of price. i really didn't want to spend $1600 on tires that wouldn't last- and/or were a compromise on the track. then i got a very stupid dumb idea....

our cars are really heavy- and what works for a lightweight race car probably won't work for my GT500 which honestly has only gotten heavier as I add things like a roll cage, bigger heat exchanger, the TVS supercharger, the ST coil-over kit, the Watts link that i'd still debating installing etc. So I got to thinking- why not look at getting some real race car tires- especially something for endurance racing so i'd get some good life out of them- that'd heat up reasonably quickly- and would certainly outperform any DOT tire. So I went into the wormhole that is the internet and bought these:

Hoosier Racing Tires

they've got super stiff sidewalls because they were designed for high speed banked tracks- which means they're well suited to our heavy cars. they also have a tread that should last a lot longer than something like a Hoosier A7 or R7. Now- they're not something you ever want to get stuck anywhere near a drop of rain with- and I'm sure there are "dangers" with driving them on the street- but damn they look cool- they should be great for HPDE and track days- and they were cheaper than ANYTHING you could put on our cars even all season chinese garbage....

Thoughts? I've still got my NT05R/Pilot Sport AVS on my stock wheels for the street and strip...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Please tell me you don't intend to use these special purpose ROVAL track tires on the street.

Also, if you're going to be doing any circuit racing, there are tires specifically designed for those tracks. This tire, while it might look "cool", is not one of them. Just saying!

cgaulzetti

Established Member
Wheels should show up tomorrow according to the tracking with the tires coming later in the week.

I know there are better tires for circuit racing- but these tires will be great for what I’m doing with them according to the folks at Hoosier. I was willing to sacrifice ultimate performance for increaesed longevity and the stiffer sidewalls will make the car handle the way I like my track cars to drive.

No chance these things will ever see public roads- although they could work I guess. There are lots of fools running track tires on the street here in Southern California.

Users who are viewing this thread