New position with a new predicament

CV355

_
Established Member
I'm perfectly OK with it turning out like that. Some people lose their minds if they don't get that promotion, or raise. I'm not one of those people. My life outside of work, and my well-being are a shit ton more important than that.

Sure, I'll probably never be a millionaire. But, the only life I get won't be spent at work, either.

Two years ago I was career-centric. I worked from 5am to 10pm almost every night. I wanted that promotion. Got it. Life was terrible, lead to everything falling apart outside of work. I'm still dealing with the aftermath- overgrown yard, home/car maintenance, health, etc. Wasn't worth it. Stupid me, I even took the promotion without a pay raise.

That's why for Ironsnake, I'm recommending weighing it out and testing the waters by pushing a set limit of responsibilities. If the employer is good about that, I say full steam ahead. If they aren't, I'd question the motive.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Yea. I'm also learning quickly how I may of bit off more than I can chew. The expectations created by my predecessor in the new position are labeled upon me immediately. I'm not the type to carry work into the wee hours of the night. I'll turn a good 8-10 but not every night till midnight.

We will see gents. Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's a salary role, so inevitably there's not much I can do about the time.

lilcoop03

Established Member
I am in a very similar boat right now. My company decided to get rid of the plant quality manager position altogether and I am absorbing about 80% of his duties while retaining all of my old engineering/managing duties. It has forced me to work a little harder and a little longer but its also forcing me to learn/develop new valuable skills. I'm also getting married in a month and just bought a new house 2 months ago that requires a good bit of maintenance (yard, pool, etc) plus my cars/toys.

I get paid well hourly and work 10-15 hours OT every week so I'm not too upset about the whole situation..

OP, I am also in Upstate SC. You mind PMing me where you work?

Best of luck.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
It takes time to find the right people for the job. One month is nothing. I’d expect 3-4 months depending on the job. If this lingers beyond that then I would be concerned. Until then I say buckle down and git-r-dun.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
if you are that valuable to that organization, look for another job and transition to it with both parties having a clear understanding of your roles and expectations.

_Snake_

Established Member
Today I spoke with a person who moved into a newly created role of Chief Data Officer and he’s dealing with the same thing: his old position hasn’t been backfilled and he’s trying to fulfil the responsibilities of both. Sadly, it shows how common this is across industries and all levels of seniority.

Machdup1

Established Member
So good news. I managed to move into an analytical junior executive position at work from my previous position. Prior I was doing support analytics and cataloging for my company up until the middle of sept.

I’ve since transitioned and am working largely in the position I now have, but was asked to continue to contribute to the other department until they found a replacement for me.

Well they dragged their feet and now I find myself being beat up about my prior positions duties no longer being maintained. Problem is the new position is an easy 50hr a week type dedication and adding another 20 hours a week to that without compensation is difficult to justify. Especially with a soon to be wife and a home to worry about.

I’m doing fairly high level analytics logistics and customer management at the corporate level. I’m only one down from the president, and so while I’m all about contributing, I’m also not fond of being beat up over it while being spread so thin. Not quite sure how to manage this and expectations. Any advice from the older fellows and ladies of SVTP?
You grab the boss and clarify their expectations of you. Your concern to them should be that you cannot effectively do both positions for more than a short period of time and that will be detrimental to the organization.

Expressed in that light, they should be motivated to resolve the issue. If they are not motivated, start interviewing. You seem like you are talented and will work hard, you will get more money if you play the market and your current employer knows it.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Yea. I'm also learning quickly how I may of bit off more than I can chew. The expectations created by my predecessor in the new position are labeled upon me immediately. I'm not the type to carry work into the wee hours of the night. I'll turn a good 8-10 but not every night till midnight.

We will see gents. Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's a salary role, so inevitably there's not much I can do about the time.
Raise

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

Users who are viewing this thread