New position with a new predicament

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
So good news. I managed to move into an analytical junior executive position at work from my previous position. Prior I was doing support analytics and cataloging for my company up until the middle of sept.

I’ve since transitioned and am working largely in the position I now have, but was asked to continue to contribute to the other department until they found a replacement for me.

Well they dragged their feet and now I find myself being beat up about my prior positions duties no longer being maintained. Problem is the new position is an easy 50hr a week type dedication and adding another 20 hours a week to that without compensation is difficult to justify. Especially with a soon to be wife and a home to worry about.

I’m doing fairly high level analytics logistics and customer management at the corporate level. I’m only one down from the president, and so while I’m all about contributing, I’m also not fond of being beat up over it while being spread so thin. Not quite sure how to manage this and expectations. Any advice from the older fellows and ladies of SVTP?

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
You've got enough on yer plate, what with transitioning and all (congrats by the way), work should be the least of yer worries. What do you prefer we call you now?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So good news. I managed to move into an analytical junior executive position at work from my previous position. Prior I was doing support analytics and cataloging for my company up until the middle of sept.

I’ve since transitioned and am working largely in the position I now have, but was asked to continue to contribute to the other department until they found a replacement for me.

Well they dragged their feet and now I find myself being beat up about my prior positions duties no longer being maintained. Problem is the new position is an easy 50hr a week type dedication and adding another 20 hours a week to that without compensation is difficult to justify. Especially with a soon to be wife and a home to worry about.

I’m doing fairly high level analytics logistics and customer management at the corporate level. I’m only one down from the president, and so while I’m all about contributing, I’m also not fond of being beat up over it while being spread so thin. Not quite sure how to manage this and expectations. Any advice from the older fellows and ladies of SVTP?

So they gave you an advancement under the impression you would help on the last job until they found someone...now they haven't found someone yet, and you're not keeping up on those duties, while only doing a portion of your new duties?

Am I reading that correctly?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You've got enough on yer plate, what with transitioning and all (congrats by the way), work should be the least of yer worries. What do you prefer we call you now?

I was not let down by SVTP. I assumed it would take one person to make a Planter joke.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
So they gave you an advancement under the impression you would help on the last job until they found someone...now they haven't found someone yet, and you're not keeping up on those duties, while only doing a portion of your new duties?

Am I reading that correctly?

On paper, that's how it reads. But when considering the context, I was asked to continue to contribute, not perform those duties. But i'm being held to a different standard. Also, it was asked of me under the premise I wouldn't be holding both positions down for what will clearly be at least a month before we get a person to even begin training.

I'm all for my company, the folks I work with, and the things we do. But to some degree it's frustrating when it becomes physically impossible to perform both positions at 100% without working 12-14 hours a day. I would be more inclined to had I taken a massive raise, but I was given a size able- not substantial- raise.

At the end of it, I'm dedicated to doing a good job. I'll hold the fort down, always, but I don't particularly care to be held to standards impossible for me to achieve.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I was not let down by SVTP. I assumed it would take one person to make a Planter joke.
Honestly, I quit reading after the transitioning part in my haste to contribute humorously.

Is the president yer boss? What's yer relationship with him/her like? Have you talked with him/her about this yet?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
On paper, that's how it reads. But when considering the context, I was asked to continue to contribute, not perform those duties. But i'm being held to a different standard. Also, it was asked of me under the premise I wouldn't be holding both positions down for what will clearly be at least a month before we get a person to even begin training.

I'm all for my company, the folks I work with, and the things we do. But to some degree it's frustrating when it becomes physically impossible to perform both positions at 100% without working 12-14 hours a day. I would be more inclined to had I taken a massive raise, but I was given a size able- not substantial- raise.

At the end of it, I'm dedicated to doing a good job. I'll hold the fort down, always, but I don't particularly care to be held to standards impossible for me to achieve.

Different mindset I guess. I've always worn multiple hats at our medium sized Ford dealership. Even today, I do a lot more than any other GM/Owner I've ever met.

If you're only one below the owner/President, it kinda falls on you to make sure shit is getting taken care of.

Not being harsh, or saying your feelings aren't justified, just saying that this is one of those times that you buck up and get it done.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Have you brought up how you feel about the situation with the President? If you're the right hand man to him / her, they should be able to understand your frustrations, and come to a reasonable solution that is beneficial to all parties involved.

The higher ups cannot help with a problem they do not know exists, right?

Your new job came with a promotion, did it not? I'd buckle down and handle both jobs until they hire someone. You'd rather be known as the guy who saved the day, vs the guy that ****ed it up, right?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Different mindset I guess. I've always worn multiple hats at our medium sized Ford dealership. Even today, I do a lot more than any other GM/Owner I've ever met.

If you're only one below the owner/President, it kinda falls on you to make sure shit is getting taken care of.

Not being harsh, or saying your feelings aren't justified, just saying that this is one of those times that you buck up and get it done.
Have you brought up how you feel about the situation with the President? If you're the right hand man to him / her, they should be able to understand your frustrations, and come to a reasonable solution that is beneficial to all parties involved.

The higher ups cannot help with a problem they do not know exists, right?

Your new job came with a promotion, did it not? I'd buckle down and handle both jobs until they hire someone. You'd rather be known as the guy who saved the day, vs the guy that ****ed it up, right?

Oh I absolutely agree with both of you. The topic has been breached within the president who's upset I moved to another department (and thus left his unit hanging till they replace me) and the one I report too. I'll manage the best I can, but I am absolutely wearing multiple hats with both positions.

All I want to do is do a good job. It's just frustrating when I find myself being prohibited from it due to work load. This was more a vent/frustration rant than anything. I do appreciate the feedback though fellas.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Junior

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

Coiled03

Established Member
All I want to do is do a good job. It's just frustrating when I find myself being prohibited from it due to work load. This was more a vent/frustration rant than anything. I do appreciate the feedback though fellas.

I suspect if you present it to the president as, "I can do one job 100% effectively, or two jobs 50% effectively", he'll understand the situation more clearly, and maybe get some people moving more quickly on hiring your replacement.

Either way, congrats on your promotion.

08mojo

Established Member
..the new position is an easy 50hr a week type dedication and adding another 20 hours a week to that without compensation is difficult to justify. Especially with a soon to be wife and a home to worry about.

You just answered your own question. Say this exact thing to your boss/hr/whomever. If they are a company worth working for, they'll respond correctly.

CV355

_
Established Member
Any advice from the older fellows and ladies of SVTP?

I'm not an older fellow, but I've definitely run the gauntlet in my 14 year career so far. I can certainly relate to what you're going through. I started where I work now when we were 8 employees. We're now up to 100+ at this business unit. I wore every hat- engineering, project management, engineering management, mechanical assembly/installation. Every time I switched hats, I was expected to maintain the responsibilities from previous positions. It became unbearable. I kept being told "it's only until we backfill." Guess what? As long as they know you can run both roles, even at your expense, they will delay because it looks good on paper. Why put two people where one has sufficed?

Here's what I learned:
1) Nobody will stand up for you except you- set a firm line of responsibility. This isn't career suicide- it's demanding that you can focus on your new responsibilities. You can spin it as a positive.

2) Work/life balance. You mention you're about to be married. My wife was extremely supportive of my career focus, and then it hit a wall one day. She felt neglected, replaced, begged me to stop what I was doing. I hit a brick wall and said "ok, enough is enough," and heeded her advice. I requested a demotion, pulled a few other stunts, and basically said "you guys are done taking advantage of me, figure out how to keep it together so I can have a life again." It worked.

3) Nobody will fault you for demanding that line. Well, anybody that has a sense of morals. If they hold it against you, you need to rethink your arrangement with them. Is that really a place you want to work for if they demand you sacrifice your well-being? Probably not. Not saying that's the case, but it is a situation that many hard-working friends fall into.

I'm no poster-child for a healthy work/life balance, but mine has gotten much better in recent months. I put my foot down, started saying no, left at 8 hours. I still hit my deadlines, put in 100% effort on everything, and it feels good to knock out the mile-long to-do list at the same time. Wish I had learned that lesson, oh, 10 years ago.

9-5 is gone. With new methods of distraction, inefficiencies, and apathy, the working world is about to hit a breaking point. Those who pull the weight are starting to say "screw this" and those who sit back at the expense of others are going to need to do heavy lifting. Things will fail. Let them.

I suspect if you present it to the president as, "I can do one job 100% effectively, or two jobs 50% effectively", he'll understand the situation more clearly, and maybe get some people moving more quickly on hiring your replacement.

Either way, congrats on your promotion.

What you are saying is 100% correct, but Dilbert has about 1000 comics showing how that often turns out. ;)

07a73af06d5d01301d80001dd8b71c47.gif

Stanger00

Established Member
You were promoted into a different department?

You are learning your new role and responsibilities in department A but are providing support for old position in department B.

Does your company even have different charge accounts for each department? How are they even accounting your time and is your new pay grade allowed for old position? Might be a good time to get OT at new pay grade. Old department won't like paying for that for too long!

Let's say you provide support and put out fires for old position until new person hired. Who will train this new person? If it's not you, why isn't that person doing your old work now?

Anyway, congratulations on the promotion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coiled03

Established Member
What you are saying is 100% correct, but Dilbert has about 1000 comics showing how that often turns out. ;)
View attachment 1520043

I'm perfectly OK with it turning out like that. Some people lose their minds if they don't get that promotion, or raise. I'm not one of those people. My life outside of work, and my well-being are a shit ton more important than that.

Sure, I'll probably never be a millionaire. But, the only life I get won't be spent at work, either.

Users who are viewing this thread