New personal best today with brake fluid questions.

lawnmower22

Established Member
Went to the strip today with some friends and had a great time. I ran a new best for me with a 12.78 @ 111.51mph. I was pretty excited about that. My car is not a Brembo car and has the ugly machined and gray 19's with 245 tires on them. Bone stock.

I noticed my clutch pedal started the get very spongy and at times seemed lazy to return form the floor. Maybe even not returning all the way. I smelled the clutch a couple of times but never really felt it slipping.

When I got home I popped the hood and found that brake fluid had overflowed the reservoir. I haven't added any fluid to this ever.

Is the factory fluid DOT4? If I change it I guess I should bleed the whole brake system and clutch system.

I know these are noob questions but figured I would throw them out there while enjoying my new best time!

Last edited:

NASCAR5.0

Established Member
The clutch/brake fluid is all in the same system. They share the reservoir, stock fluid is a DOT3, Ford recommends swapping to DOT 4 for open tracking in the boss 302 supplement manual.

The brake fluid is slightly overfilled from the factory. The top cap doesn't completely seal, so it leaks out from there. Me and tons of other people I know have also noticed this, its no big deal, either take a tad out or dry it with a towel every so often.

Its best to run it half way between the middle of the resevoir and the max fill line.

lawnmower22

Established Member
The clutch/brake fluid is all in the same system. They share the reservoir, stock fluid is a DOT3, Ford recommends swapping to DOT 4 for open tracking in the boss 302 supplement manual.

The brake fluid is slightly overfilled from the factory. The top cap doesn't completely seal, so it leaks out from there. Me and tons of other people I know have also noticed this, its no big deal, either take a tad out or dry it with a towel every so often.

Its best to run it half way between the middle of the resevoir and the max fill line.

Thanks for the info!

I'm probably going to change the fluid and fill to the proper level.

NASCAR5.0

Established Member
I went with ATE Superblue, relatively inexpensive at 15 bucks for a liter, which is all you need for a full flush. And its DOT4 so much higher boiling point.

lawnmower22

Established Member
Superblue was on my list to check out. Seems like good stuff. I can't even remember what I put in my old car.

rubicon1979

Established Member
Hey I was the guy in the 13 grabber blue GT. It was nice meeting you and you did a good job off the line. I gotta work on that!

Today was my first time ever at a drag strip in any car and I had a good time. I went from a worse of 14.0 to a best of 12.87 at 111. Before I went I thought if I could run in the 12's I would be happy so it was a good day for me!

Best of luck to you.

lawnmower22

Established Member
Hey I was the guy in the 13 grabber blue GT. It was nice meeting you and you did a good job off the line. I gotta work on that!

Today was my first time ever at a drag strip in any car and I had a good time. I went from a worse of 14.0 to a best of 12.87 at 111. Before I went I thought if I could run in the 12's I would be happy so it was a good day for me!

Best of luck to you.

Good job on the 12.87 man. It is always great to meet new people at the track. I had fun running with you guys. I hated we had to leave so fast but the guys I was with were ready to hit the road. The guy in the 335 smoked his clutch and the G35 is running on hopes and dreams at this point. We may be swapping his engine next week haha.

Rubicon1979 was there in a new GB GT running at the strip and didn't even have a tag yet! Those are my kind of people!

Dave_6

Established Member

Best of luck to you.

Nice run! Is your '13 still stock? I just got one a couple days ago but it's only got ~140 miles on it so I'm not going to run it until I get 500 or so on it.

Good job on the 12.87 man. It is always great to meet new people at the track. I had fun running with you guys. I hated we had to leave so fast but the guys I was with were ready to hit the road. The guy in the 335 smoked his clutch and the G35 is running on hopes and dreams at this point. We may be swapping his engine next week haha.

Rubicon1979 was there in a new GB GT running at the strip and didn't even have a tag yet! Those are my kind of people!

Did ya'll go to Steele? I haven't been up there in YEARS.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member

yea until it happens and im missing paint now in that area :mj:

lawnmower22

Established Member
Nice run! Is your '13 still stock? I just got one a couple days ago but it's only got ~140 miles on it so I'm not going to run it until I get 500 or so on it.

Did ya'll go to Steele? I haven't been up there in YEARS.

We went to Montgomery Motorsports Park (MMP). You need to drive that thing some, we are planning another trip in a couple of weeks. We go to Steele too.

is there a write up on DIY fluid swap to DOT4?

If I don't find one I'll make one when I do it. Should be straightforward.

yea until it happens and im missing paint now in that area :mj:

Great! I didn't even think about that.

Dave_6

Established Member
We went to Montgomery Motorsports Park (MMP). You need to drive that thing some, we are planning another trip in a couple of weeks. We go to Steele too.

It's a daily driver so it will be on the road every day. Yeah we need to get together somewhere; the more the better!

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Nice times! Identical to mine. What was your 60 foot? I've been holding off for cooler weather to see if I can do better than my PB.

lawnmower22

Established Member
Nice times! Identical to mine. What was your 60 foot? I've been holding off for cooler weather to see if I can do better than my PB.

Thanks man! My 60 was a 2.03. I have pulled a 1.8 before so I am definitely going back when it's a little cooler. I looked up the DA on Drag Times and it was 1863 I think.

Dave_6

Established Member
Thanks man! My 60 was a 2.03. I have pulled a 1.8 before so I am definitely going back when it's a little cooler. I looked up the DA on Drag Times and it was 1863 I think.

I've been up to Lassiter Mountain 3 times in the past month and I usually check the DA out of curiosity. The lowest I've seen there (or anywhere in the B'ham area) is around 1500. I'm curious to see the lowest it gets once it starts cooling off.

You cut a 1.8? Damn dude. That's impressive.

Yes I agree. When I finally run mine I'll be lucky to cut a 2.0 as I haven't taken a car down the strip in a LONG time.

Users who are viewing this thread