New performance stats from Motor Trend

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Stangsunleashed link

Found this while surfing Stangsunleashed.com

Stats are better than C&D's, they must have had an anvil tied to the car or some thing. :poke:

I'm still waiting for my MT, once it comes in I'll scan the stats and post them.

Jim

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Also in that same link...
i just received the latest issue of 'Inside the Oval', Ford Racing's mag that's replacing the SVTOA Enthusiast.

Jay O'Connell, SVT chief said in April that all car mags were invited to the GT500 press event. There were two pre-production Shelby's made available to the press, and the best time logged 0-60 was 4.3 seconds, and 1/4 mile was 12.25 at 117!

Link.

If these cars are hobbled by TM, then it's reasonable to expect they'll lose a few mph and a few tenths right off the bat.
As with the '05/'06 Mustang GT's, they might pick up significantly with just a flash tune to overcome the electronic "nanny".
We'll know soon enough...cars should be in owners' hands in the next month or so.
S.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Thanks for the link, Snorman. :beer:

12.2 @ 117 mph seems more realistic of what this car is capable of with a good driver. :coolman:

Last edited:

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Well thats more in line with what I expected. :read: I still can't wait to see what Evan can squeeze out of one. :burnout:

Formula51

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:

12.2 @ 117 mph seems more realistic of what this car is capable of with a good driver. :coolman:

Keep in mind that was a pre-production car that went 12.2 so the production version may not be quite as fast. However, as Snorman said, times like those should be nothing more than a re-flash away.

03 SVT VERT

Established Member
From what I've read about this car it seems like it's coming out of the factory at the slowest possible setup for straight line acceleration. 3.31 gears, 2PSI less boost than the '03/'04, 285 rear tires (which are pretty narrow for 500hp), ect. I think Ford didn't want this car to be much faster than the '03/'04 out of the box, but they wanted it to be a monster with cheap mods. I bet they will offer a Drag pack for it that has a smaller pulley, different rear gears, tune, ect that will put the car in the 11's. That way they make more money because a good percentage of the people that buy the GT500 would also buy the drag pack, especially if it lets them keep their warrenty.

COBRABRAD

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:

Cartest 2000 - Simulation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275141

Don't hate me, hate the simulator.

FORD SHELBY GT 500 TIME TO SPEED:
Speed Seconds 0- 30 mph....................................1.75
0- 40 mph....................................2.33
0- 50 mph....................................2.92
0- 60 mph....................................4.22
0- 70 mph....................................5.17
0- 80 mph....................................6.18
0- 90 mph....................................7.83
0-100 mph.................................... 9.21
TIME TO DISTANCE:
Distance Seconds MPH 0- 60 ft........................2.10 36.08
0- 100 ft........................ 2.76 47.41
0- 330 ft........................ 5.40 72.41
0- 500 ft........................ 6.86 85.94
0- 660 ft........................ 8.10 91.97
0-1000 ft........................ 10.41 107.98
0-1320 ft.(1/4 mile)........ 12.33 117.95
LAUNCH: 1900 RPM OPTIMUM SHIFT POINTS: 1st: 6250 RPM @ 52 MPH 2nd: 6250 RPM @ 87 MPH 3rd: 6250 RPM @ 119 MPH 4th: 6240 RPM @ 156 MPH 5th: 6250 RPM @ 197 MPH

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Keep in mind that was a pre-production car that went 12.2 so the production version may not be quite as fast. However, as Snorman said, times like those should be nothing more than a re-flash away.

Ford's engineers have admitted that the pre-production cars had a "smoky tune" and that was also before the final HP rating. They admitted, according to the Hot Rod article, that these rough tuned pre-production cars were still putting down rwhp in the 435-440 range. So, the production car may actually be FASTER.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
gt500-116.gif

gt500-117.gif

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
I think you need to make that weight 4100lbs (w/ Driver)... not that it will change much... but thought I'd add that.

Glad to see better numbers for this bad boy! (I'll still wait for a lighter version)

Dave

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Im still dissapointed.
Car & Driver goes 12.9 (and in the same comparison, the Vette is faster)
Road and Track goes low 13's
And Motortrend goes 12.7

Looks like the car is a high 12 second car to me, with an averge, to above average driver.. Whoopdeedoo.. Quite slow for a 500hp car if you ask me. Especially when you compare it to times these very same mags turned in, with other cars like the GTO, base VEtte, C5&C6 ZO6, 03-04 Cobra. Heck, even STI's and Evos go low 13- to low 12's in these mags.. Talk about depressing.

I was hoping to buy a Mustang that would be faster than my C5ZO6.. Not goona happen without the aftermarket.

I could care less what Ford runs with the car at one of their press events, or what MMFF runs, since their times are never realistic.

Last edited:

Ryan02Stang

Established Member
Purvis said:
Im still dissapointed.
And Motortrend goes 12.7

Looks like the car is a high 12 second car to me, with an averge, to above average driver.. Whoopdeedoo.. Quite slow for a 500hp car if you ask me. Especially when you compare it to times these very same mags turned in, with other cars like the GTO, base VEtte, C5&C6 ZO6, 03-04 Cobra. Heck, even STI's and Evos go low 13- to low 12's in these mags.. Talk about depressing.

I was hoping to buy a Mustang that would be faster than my C5ZO6.. Not goona happen without the aftermarket.

I could care less what Ford runs with the car at one of their press events, or what MMFF runs, since their times are never realistic.
Look at the trap speed. STI and EVO run low 13's at 102-104mph. Show me the 04 Cobra that trapped 116 bone stock. Same goes for the GTO...

These times aren't even run on a drag strip, they are done with a gps system on the magazines personal track.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Purvis said:
Im still dissapointed.
And Motortrend goes 12.7

IF you run a high 12 in this car at an actual strip with track prep and a simultaneously decent idea of how a stick shift works you should be shot.

More than 1 person will crack the 11s bone stock. Give it a few weeks at least.

The truth for most will lie somewere in between, which is definitely better than high 12s.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Dave Schotz said:
I think you need to make that weight 4100lbs (w/ Driver)... not that it will change much... but thought I'd add that.

Glad to see better numbers for this bad boy! (I'll still wait for a lighter version)

Dave

Oops! Wishfull thinking I guess. She needs a diet...

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
The problem is, you have to compare apples to apples..
If you compare the times, these car mags have turned in the past with the competition, the GT500 does not look that fast.

I dont doubt different people will be turning various fast times.. Hell, guys go 11.7's with Stock C5 ZO6's.. But that doesnt mean they go 11's for just any driver. This is after hundreds of runs and trying every technique..

But from the car mag's perspective at least, the GT500 is a high 12sec car, which is somewhat embarassing for 500hp. :(

Users who are viewing this thread