New PC Build

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
As some of y'all know, the motherboard in my 3 year old PC crapped out last Thursday. Talk about timing; I have thousands of Texas Invitational pictures trapped on my camera cards!! I normally do a new build every 2 years, but this thing had been such a good workhorse I stretched this one out and almost got another year out of it. As everything in it was just on the limit of being obsolete, I decided a fresh budget build would be my best bet. Well, TI sponsor Servelite Solutions stepped up and helped me out in a huge way. Can't say enough how grateful I am for his help and support!!

- Asus X99 Pro mobo
- Intel I7-5820K CPU
- Mushkin Enhanced Redline RAM - 32 GB
- Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD
- EVGA 750W PSU
- EVGA GTX 970FTW GPU

AE6A4F46-7D36-4C58-B77F-F5AD25219461_zps1sq7wbpd.jpg

A305F869-CEE5-4048-BC0D-F7175C7A0506_zpsywkoevhk.jpg

Need to do wire management and hook up the storage drives, but this is pretty much complete:
65D7C89A-5BDF-44B0-81CB-F0A2EAF1BF2D_zpsuf1oc1di.jpg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP Builds high end system, plays only solitaire and mine sweeper. :poke:

Great setup, im running a 970 also, but only an acx 2.0.

I'm waiting for prices of 1TB ssd's to drop to start a new gaming/steam drive.

Screen shot your task manager to show off those cores!!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice setup there!

I cant wait to go SSD RAID setup on my next build.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
OP Builds high end system, plays only solitaire and mine sweeper. :poke:

Great setup, im running a 970 also, but only an acx 2.0.

I'm waiting for prices of 1TB ssd's to drop to start a new gaming/steam drive.

Screen shot your task manager to show off those cores!!

Lol, or process thousands of event photos...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a really nice build, Kat. Can't believe that my custom build will be 3 years old in December. Keeping my careful eye on it. I'm planning a new build in the first half of 2016.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Can I haz your old setup? :rockon: Looking good Kat! Love your PC builds even though I do agree with Servent lol Dat 970 though :rockon:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Nice build! I haven't done one in a few years, it's interesting to see the cpu cooler with vertical flow versus horizontal. I guess that's with most cases having huge top fans. Any thoughts to adding a second fan to the cpu cooler? Push/pull type setup? Is that a haf case?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Nice build! I haven't done one in a few years, it's interesting to see the cpu cooler with vertical flow versus horizontal. I guess that's with most cases having huge top fans. Any thoughts to adding a second fan to the cpu cooler? Push/pull type setup? Is that a haf case?
Horizontal is usually the way to go from what I have seen. Maybe the ram was in the way of the fan? I have a push/pull with an Evo heatsink and it dropped some C*s when I added the pull fan.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
What reasons for going with that i7 over a cheaper 8 core AMD? I'm still in the learning phase

AMD is a more budget friendly processor that performs well in most tests. I rocked the 8350 for years and never had any issues but in my research for my latest build Intel just wins hands down. There are a ton of comparison reviews out there and I dont think you'll be disappointed in either case I just think it comes down to what you're planning on using your rig for. For gaming you want to look more at your gpu. For heavy editing your processor choice will make a difference.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Horizontal is usually the way to go from what I have seen. Maybe the ram was in the way of the fan? I have a push/pull with an Evo heatsink and it dropped some C*s when I added the pull fan.

That reminds me, I had to remove the heat sink on one stick of ram to get my cooler to fit. I can't remember if my cooler is keyed or not. I don't even know if I could install it vertically. If it works and stays cool vertically.. bonus round.

MattxFatal

Established Member
Love the build.
Pretty jelly of your I7. I've got an I7 4790k and It's a beast. Runs pretty damn warm though.

Mounted horizontally with a push/pull setup. Does the job well.
Vertically and it pushes into my ram, no bueno.

DSC_0639_zpswvyvbg43.jpg

DSC_0648_zps6ezstepo.jpg

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Kat, as one kitty household to another.

Put in a second cooling fan and put foam air filters over all the fan intakes. I changed all my fans to draw instead of blow. They suck air in through a filter and blow it INTO the computer.

This pressurizes the box and keeps dust and cat hair out of the inside. I just have to be sure to change the piece of foam once a month. But with two fans it has plenty of surface area so they have never gotten clogged enough to starve the box of fresh, cool air.

I just got a big sheet of foam air filter material at Home Depot and it was enough material to last for years.

Users who are viewing this thread