New owner

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Just dropping in to say hi, sold my 2002 Lightning and picked up a 2003 Cobra last night. Anything I should know before I begin the mad dash for the mod pile?

agof95

Established Member
Congrats on the purchase :beer:

I've had mine for a little over two weeks now and still can't get enough. My wife calls her the other woman.

I put the densecharger and MGW handle on mine the day after I bought her. The magnaflow catback went on one week after that. Now I need to decide what to do next.

Mod on :thumbsup:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
1. Know your personal limits: just how much of your warranty are you willing to sacrifice, how much work can you accomplish yourself, how much money are you willing to spend
2. Know your resourses: goes back to # 1 but also references local shops, dyno facilities, tuners etc.
3. Know your goal: make a plan, each mod will compliment the previous but some are unnesiary unless you plan on racing the car (and winning)

Take the above into consideration and enjoy your car. Almost every mod possable has been discussed at length and is a search button away. ;-)

skstang

Established Member
02 Lightning for a 03Cobra????????
Dont think I would have made that move unless I had to have 4 seats. How come?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't worry, after you've spent a day or two reading these posts you'll know exactly what mods you're interested in. Welcome aboard and enjoy your new Cobra. :)

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Alot of good info in the FAQ up above (word doc on second page of thread like the second or third post down).

Also, get familiar with the search button....cause if you don't someone will point ya to it real quick on here...

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by skstang
02 Lightning for a 03Cobra????????
Dont think I would have made that move unless I had to have 4 seats. How come?

As you can see by the date of my membership, I've lurked here for some time now, since I've owned numerous SVT products. I've owned a 97 Cobra, a 99 Lightning, a 2002 Lightning and now an 03 Cobra.

My wife works for an SVT dealer, which helps.................but each purchase still includes much begging. Even at my advanced age (older than dirt) I still have to grovel for toys that cost more than 4 digits..................

I spend most of my time on the F150 forums, but now I will need the expertise all of you have gained through the age-old technique of trial and error.

I'm already working the "search" button, but hopefully you guys will allow me an occasional "newbie question".........each new toy has its little issues that can only be answered by those who come before you.

I'm already toying with disconnecting the boost selenoid, it's a common issue with the Lightnings. I've never experienced any problems, and the "soft code" does not effect other functions of the computer (at least not on the "L's")

Thanks again for the advice, and for that still to come........

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Anything I should know before I begin the mad dash for the mod pile?

Weld an 02 sensor bung post-header and pre-cat on the driver side catalytic pipe. Chassis dyno and road tune. Not one or the other, but both.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
mswaim wrote :

"I'm already toying with disconnecting the boost selenoid, it's a common issue with the Lightnings. I've never experienced any problems, and the "soft code" does not effect other functions of the computer (at least not on the "L's") "

I would say search the site for this topic because someone posted a nice "how-to" on bypassing this system. Also companies sell kits with the appropriate hoses and t-fittings etc.... I let JDM do mine while my car was in thier shop. It's cheap, they sell a kit if your not local to jersey to have them do it. It's worth it to do it right.

You'll end up doing all the bolt-ons if your like most of us!
I have "ants in the pants" waiting for parts! This car responds to mods very well. Each thing I do I feel a huge difference. My car is a totally different animal now then when it was stock. A few more days untill my exhaust gets done....... :) I can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread