New or revised California modified exhaust law.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
So California revised a exhaust law that use to be a fix it ticket but now it’s a automatic fine for $1000 and a visit to the state ref. I have a 2003 cobra kb2.8 fore fuel system on e85. Bassani x pipe with no cats and a borla catback with stingers. So it’s pretty loud not by choice. I bought the car with the borla installed. My question is about reinstalling the stock h with cats and calling it a day. Is that going to be enough to be under the 90 or so decibels. This sucks. . Don’t even feel like driving my car can’t afford the 1000 dollar ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Putting cats on your mid pipe will make a bit of a difference. I ran around without cats for a bit and got tired of my ears ringing when I got home. I'm currently running a stock mid pipe with the Stingers and it's not too bad in my opinion. I think being pulled over is going to come down to an officer's discretion. Which it's a big issue with this new law.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
Yes I agree. It will all be up the cop pulling you over. If he wants he can write the ticket and send you to the ref either way.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Time to move or go turbo. Lol.

That's a whole different can of worms to deal with though. I passed smog for the first time in years without needing a hook up recently. It was a nice change.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
So California revised a exhaust law that use to be a fix it ticket but now it’s a automatic fine for $1000 and a visit to the state ref. I have a 2003 cobra kb2.8 fore fuel system on e85. Bassani x pipe with no cats and a borla catback with stingers. So it’s pretty loud not by choice. I bought the car with the borla installed. My question is about reinstalling the stock h with cats and calling it a day. Is that going to be enough to be under the 90 or so decibels. This sucks. . Don’t even feel like driving my car can’t afford the 1000 dollar ticket.

yup living in california really is getting worse by the day for us car enthusiasts isn't it?!

here's my experience, as i was sent to a state ref a couple years ago:

if you do get sent to a ref, the answer to your question is no, your borla stingers won't pass, even on the stock h.

the quietest aftermarket catback i could find at the time, flowmaster, still did not pass the decibel test. (it was pretty close though - i think it was 98 decibels - but obviously those bar refs go strictly by the book).

so i ended up having to rent a stock catback from someone local to me, and that passed. made me wish i never tossed my stock catback in the dumpster when i first bought the car lol.

the thing is though - and more to the general point of your question - you probably won't be pulled over for loud exhaust if you run your stock h pipe and borla stingers. so as far as that goes and being able to enjoy the car out on the road, yup that is probably your safest bet. borla stingers with a stock h still sounds pretty good, it just won't have that same awesome deep tone as the bassani midpipe.

best of luck with it!

Ecostang17

I wonder what the great state of Cali is going to do with all the Harley geeks and their straight through exhaust? Just sayin fair is fair!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
yup living in california really is getting worse by the day for us car enthusiasts isn't it?!

here's my experience, as i was sent to a state ref a couple years ago:

if you do get sent to a ref, the answer to your question is no, your borla stingers won't pass, even on the stock h.

the quietest aftermarket catback i could find at the time, flowmaster, still did not pass the decibel test. (it was pretty close though - i think it was 98 decibels - but obviously those bar refs go strictly by the book).

so i ended up having to rent a stock catback from someone local to me, and that passed. made me wish i never tossed my stock catback in the dumpster when i first bought the car lol.

the thing is though - and more to the general point of your question - you probably won't be pulled over for loud exhaust if you run your stock h pipe and borla stingers. so as far as that goes and being able to enjoy the car out on the road, yup that is probably your safest bet. borla stingers with a stock h still sounds pretty good, it just won't have that same awesome deep tone as the bassani midpipe.

best of luck with it!

I figured that. The stingers were loud with the stock h. But it was quieter. I have a 2.8 kB fore system on e85. I wonder if it effects the performance a lot with the h pipe

01yellercobra

Established Member
I wonder what the great state of Cali is going to do with all the Harley geeks and their straight through exhaust? Just sayin fair is fair!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Probably not a thing. As they never seem to bother them now.

Ecostang17

Probably not a thing. As they never seem to bother them now.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that, I live near a state hwy that is a favorite ride for cyclists mainly Harleys and the noise is nonstop on the weekends! Other makes never ever bother me! And I ride myself too so it’s not like I am a bike hater, but Harley owners are a pita!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
Put the stock exhaust on the car and it will sound like stock. The blower and fuel system will make no difference on sound when out of boost.

Users who are viewing this thread