New NT05Rs, no traction at all?

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
So last year I was running 295/30/18 Toyo R888's on all 4 corners, and aside from the weird handling characteristics of having such wide tires up front, I didn't have any issues hooking up my ~620RWHP TVS anywhere in 2nd gear for the first 800 miles or so, as long as the temp outside was around 60 or higher. First gear would spin a bit but I'd still actually get some decent traction halfway through the rev range, especially if it was warmer out.

This year, I decided to switch it up for a more drag focused setup, and am running some 265 Potenza S04's up front, and I went with 285/40/18 Nitto NT05Rs in the rear. I did heat cycle the tires and remove them from the car after their first use, and have put a few hundred miles on them so far... but I can't get them to hook in any conditions at all. No matter what, these are spinning all the way through 2nd and also quite a bit in 3rd... in fact my old R888s had better traction with 1800 miles on them, minimal tread left, and no sidewall in comparison. And 1st gear is completely useless....

What gives? Is the only way to heat these up a 30-second burnout, or should I try running a lower PSI on them (it's at 24 currently)? I'm just kind of dissapointed that these new tires have worse traction than R-compounds which are more cornering focused than drag/straight-line acceleration focused... anyone else have any experience with the NT05Rs?

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Maybe it's too cold. I notice below 70 they are OK but not nearly as good as when it's 80

Last edited:

bottle fed 14

Established Member
I have 305 / 45 / 18 nto5 best 60 ft 1.81 have et street r mickeys now will see how they work next week I think your tires are too small

DaBigBone

Established Member
I had the same experience a while back but the other way around. Had the nittos and couldn't get them to hook at all no matter what I tried. Temperature, tire pressure, etc..nothing worked. Threw on some Toyos and all my problems went away

You can try dropping down a few psi just to see how they respond.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
Myself & my brother run 315 NT05R's & he has Hellion Twin Turbo kit, He can hook just as good as I do and I just have Bolt on's
I think your tire choice is to small for your power level
I highly recommend 315's if your car isn't lowered

MKMotorsport

Established Member
I run the NT05R in 285/40/R18. They seem to take a lot of heat to grip. I've tried from 13psi-25psi and all increments in between.

I expected more since my car is lower powered compared to a lot here. Pretty sure next go around I'm going to look for something else.

cjd223

Established Member
OP they will never hook. First of all you have a MT6. Secondly you have a TVS. Not a good combination. A turbo car can hook because it is soft down low. Same thing with a Whipple and centrifugal blowers. My car would not hook with 305/45-18 MT ET Street Rs. Headed to 15" Pros or Hoosier stiff wall slicks.

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Myself & my brother run 315 NT05R's & he has Hellion Twin Turbo kit, He can hook just as good as I do and I just have Bolt on's
I think your tire choice is to small for your power level
I highly recommend 315's if your car isn't lowered

Yeah maybe they're too small. I run the 315's and get decent traction. I am lowered too

I really think the combo of not enough tire and cool temps is the issue

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
OP they will never hook. First of all you have a MT6. Secondly you have a TVS. Not a good combination. A turbo car can hook because it is soft down low. Same thing with a Whipple and centrifugal blowers. My car would not hook with 305/45-18 MT ET Street Rs. Headed to 15" Pros or Hoosier stiff wall slicks.

Isn't the Whipple the same as a TVS?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Mine hook fine with 305/35/19's 641 hp. 557 ftlbs and 4:10:s, and i replaced my mt's with them i like the nt05rs better...your tires are to small and your rear suspension probably needs adjustments!

'14 Shelby

Established Member

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You're asking a 285 tire that isn't even 27" tall to hold 620 whp?

Not gonna happen. You need more tire... Taller and wider.

I had nt05r's in 305/35r19 and thought they were great. No complaints unless cold outside or over 10 psi boost.

Have MT ss's now and they are even better.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Thanks, I may have to try a 315 next time.... it's just that somehow I could hook up previously in 2nd with the R888s which are a tiny 24" tall... granted this only lasted the first few hundred miles. There was some slight spin but on a hot day I could dead hook in 2nd.

I think I'm going to install a line lock kit and lower the pressure further to see if that gets me anything better. These things don't seem to get nearly as hot as quickly as my R888s in comparison, so it may be in the nature of the tire compound.

Users who are viewing this thread