New NRA Instructor

hb712

Established Member
I'm really excited to say that I just got my NRA instructor cert.. I'm not sure if there are any other instructors on here, but if there are, I would love to hear any tips you might have. I can't wait to run my first course in about a month.

To make this post worth something more than being excited to announce things, I'll happily answer any questions anyone has about their pistol work!

Machdup1

Established Member
I'm really excited to say that I just got my NRA instructor cert.. I'm not sure if there are any other instructors on here, but if there are, I would love to hear any tips you might have. I can't wait to run my first course in about a month.

To make this post worth something more than being excited to announce things, I'll happily answer any questions anyone has about their pistol work!

Make friends with a senior instructor and help him/her with their classes. You will learn a ton.

You might also consider volunteering for project appleseed. They have their own version of rifle instruction and the ability to cut your teeth teaching with good over sight, from some very seasoned instructors.

Four bits of advice.

Safety above everything. If its not safe, correct it.

Don't be a drill instructor.

Remember that people learn at different rates and using different methods. One size does not fit them.

Lastly, not everyone is cut out for the shooting sports, don't be afraid to ask someone if shooting is right for them. Also not everyone is cut out to teach others something that could get them killed. Be honest with yourself and never teach above your level.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Make friends with a senior instructor and help him/her with their classes. You will learn a ton.

You might also consider volunteering for project appleseed. They have their own version of rifle instruction and the ability to cut your teeth teaching with good over sight, from some very seasoned instructors.

Four bits of advice.

Safety above everything. If its not safe, correct it.

Don't be a drill instructor.

Remember that people learn at different rates and using different methods. One size does not fit them.

Lastly, not everyone is cut out for the shooting sports, don't be afraid to ask someone if shooting is right for them. Also not everyone is cut out to teach others something that could get them killed. Be honest with yourself and never teach above your level.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head right here.

The only thing I'd add is make it fun and enjoyable for both yourself and everybody else. Also don't be afraid to think outside the box of conventional methods.

hb712

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, guys. Happily I have already been invited to be an assistant instructor with my training counselor. Beyond that, I will be sure to take your advice to heart an incorporate it into what I do. I have a huge desire to help others learn to safely enjoy shooting and to protect our fundamental right to bear arms. That desire extends into everything I do, from spending countless hours going through my training guide and working on my lectures, to helping other instructor candidates shoot their prequals with my .22.

In terms of Project Appleseed, I can't say I know very much about it. I will definitely check for something in my area to hook up with some more experienced guys.

u n v kenny

Established Member
I am a:

Glock Certified Armorer
State certified Firearms Instructor

Oh, kudos to you Sir!

Gravik

Established Member
COngrats. Probably gonna be taking a concealed carry course next month.

Users who are viewing this thread