New (NOT SWAP) Solid Axle Install

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I am about to start ordering pieces to complete a solid 8.8 axle install into the Cobra.
There seems to be an abundace of speculation, but no solid info.

My biggest concern is the ABS braking system and the compatability of the '03 Cobra brakes (calipers & rotors) with the GT housing. I don't want to loose the extra braking capabilities of the Cobra rears.
I hear conflicting stories as to whether the Cobra brakes will bolt up to the GT axle housing and what, if anything is required to make them work.
The other concern is the ABS system and the exciter rings and their mounting on the axles.
The housing is a new stock Ford GT housing, into which I am installing Strange 31 spline axles and an Eaton Posi unit.

The rest of the install seems to be relatively simple and straight forward (springs, shocks, control arms, etc.).
Anyone with any specific info can either post it or e-mail me. Or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Ed,
I saw the pics of the install when you first posted them. He did a beautiful job.
I don't think I am going to go quite that radical at the moment though.
I would like to keep it stock looking, at least from a distance. HA!HA!
But I will e-mail Don and inquire about my concerns regarding the brakes. Thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Dana

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
DAMN ED. Your rearend is sexy! The one on your 03 of course.

That is some nice work.

Rwick7

Established Member
Dana - here are the parts I used

99+ GT rearend
Ford 31 spline trak lok with extra clutches
superior 31 spline axles
MAC girdle
X2C motorsports control arms and coilover
Bassani BX GT catback
GT rotors

Try calling Discbrakes-r-us and ask some of your brake questions. Jeff there knows his shit pretty well.

I believe all you'll need to keep the cobra rotors is a different bracket. As for the ABS stuff...I'll let you know as soon as I know

Rwick7

Established Member
I used the pinion flange (input to rear end???) off of the IRS. This made the driveshaft fit perfect.

I'll let you know on the ABS...it'll probably be a week or so though.

RKANYZ

Established Member
just went and looked at my car. the rear abs sensor rings are on the inner cv's. I worked on a GT the other day and the abs sensor rings were on the rotors and the sensors were mounted through the flange. also I had to remove the rear seat cushion to access the sensor/wiring assy. sounds like it would be easier to use the GT brake/ABS system. or maybe look into the pre-IRS cobra components. also some fords have a 4 sensor system with sensors at each wheel. and some, most likely those that are rear wheel drive without traction control use a three sensor system. 2 in front and 1 on the rear diff.which can also be the VSS sensor.

edslowey

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
DAMN ED. Your rearend is sexy! The one on your 03 of course.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My rearend (on the car, of course) thanks you!

Users who are viewing this thread