New Mustang with Plugged Tire

pohnjarker

Established Member
i bought my 2011 Mustang GT from a dealer here in Vegas back in January 2011. It originally came from a dealer somewhere in Cali.

this past saturday i had it on a lift changing out the exhaust and noticed a plug in the back driver's side tire. since i havent had any issues since i got the car i was a little stumped.

i called the dealer and told him what happened and asked if the tire was plugged before it came from Cali or if it was plugged at the dealer here and never told me....all the guy kept saying was "we dont plug tires" over and over...

apparently i have to come down there between 8:30-4:30 and see Larry the Tire Manager...

has anyone had this issue before?? i feel they owe me a new tire or something...what say ye?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Lol its a plug in a tire, it wont affect the vehicle in any shape or form.

Obviously tires are wear items and i dont see how you should feel like you get a new tire. Probably the previous owner got it plugged. No biggie.

mnewxcv

Established Member

Obviously tires are wear items and i dont see how you should feel like you get a new tire. Probably the previous owner got it plugged. No biggie.

seems like he bought the car new

Bronze123

Established Member

Not true, i'll assume it was done with a patch plug combo. In that case, it's a permanent repair of the life of the tire. the speed rating for that tire is now VOIDED, i believe it's rated at 80 mph now. if another nail would puncture near the surrounding area, then it would need a new tire, which shouldn't with a new car.

if it's a rope plug, then that repair is not safe. Either way, the dealer needs to own up to this, and replace the tire. Just double check with anyone who has driven the car before contacting the dealer

THE_STIG

Established Member
Car probably rolled over a nail at the dealership, they plugged it. its not a big deal, the plug will never make any difference. I had 2 plugs in my left rear tire for over 5,000 miles (I was waiting for new wheels/tires) and they never let me down. I also did 2 track days with the car.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Not true, i'll assume it was done with a patch plug combo. In that case, it's a permanent repair of the life of the tire. the speed rating for that tire is now VOIDED, i believe it's rated at 80 mph now. if another nail would puncture near the surrounding area, then it would need a new tire, which shouldn't with a new car.

if it's a rope plug, then that repair is not safe. Either way, the dealer needs to own up to this, and replace the tire. Just double check with anyone who has driven the car before contacting the dealer

Incorrect. Rope plug voids the tire's speed rating, patch/plug combo restores it.

Bronze123

Established Member
with 5 years in the tire business, to my knowledge any tire modified for a repair, has no speed rating.

that is why Cop cars, do not repair tires

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
with 5 years in the tire business, to my knowledge any tire modified for a repair, has no speed rating.

that is why Cop cars, do not repair tires

Tire Tech Information - Flat Tire Repairs

While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability.

Call it a tie? From what else I've read, the Rubber Manufacturer's Association states that the patch/plug is the only approved method of repair.

pohnjarker

Established Member
i bought the car brand new and IMO it should have a brand new tire on it with no issues. if the dealer put a hole in the tire and told me, different story but the guy i talked to said the dealership does not plug tires.

is it unreasonable to expect a brand new tire on a brand new car??

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
+1 on patching tires voiding speed rating, On all police cars we replace the tires, plugs/patches are not allowed even on brand new tires that get a nail right after being installed.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

lol @ standard tires having "speed ratings". What are they, H rated? Big whoop.

Now drag radials or anything with a decent speed rating you should patch/plug/whatever you wanna call it, and if you do, you just gotta be mindful of the risks.

Catfood

Established Member
Can't plugs get hot if you run them on auto-x course or track? Would be my only concern.

I had a plug and competed in events and never had a problem, I wouldn't worry about it too much anywho.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Can't plugs get hot if you run them on auto-x course or track? Would be my only concern.

I doubt hot enough to cause failure.

plus, whats the first thing you do prior to autoX/road course'ing your car? Buy a better set of tires. You probably cant do much on the stock tires.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
lol @ standard tires having "speed ratings". What are they, H rated? Big whoop.

Now drag radials or anything with a decent speed rating you should patch/plug/whatever you wanna call it, and if you do, you just gotta be mindful of the risks.
exactly, this is just ridiculous. i don't blame them for not wasting a brand new tire when the one on the car was obviously perfectly repairable. get back to me when this car sees 140+ on a regular basis.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
i bought the car brand new and IMO it should have a brand new tire on it with no issues. if the dealer put a hole in the tire and told me, different story but the guy i talked to said the dealership does not plug tires.

is it unreasonable to expect a brand new tire on a brand new car??

I say if it bothers you so much then ask for a new tire. Least thet can do is say nope. If you are that worried about it and they say no, are you going to buy a new one?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
exactly, this is just ridiculous. i don't blame them for not wasting a brand new tire when the one on the car was obviously perfectly repairable. get back to me when this car sees 140+ on a regular basis.

Holy shit Ry actually agreed with me on something.

2012 is indeed upon us people.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dealers make minor repairs to new cars routinely, and don't usually disclose those repairs to the buyer unless the repair is substantial. As long as the repair doesn't affect the safety of the vehicle and doesn't reduce it's value then it is fine IMO. Also remember that cars routinely come to a dealer from another dealer. So it is possible that the dealer that took delivery of the car wasn't the dealer who ultimately sold you the car. Maybe another dealer made the repair. The bottom line is that as long as the repair was done properly and is deemed to not affect in any way the safety or speed rating of the tire, then you should be fine. But as suggested above, if it bothers you that much then talk to the dealership manager/owner and see what they'll do. Some dealerships go out of their way to make the customer happy. Heck, I went to my Buick dealer for a warranty repair and when I got there found out they messed up and hadn't received the part. Their mistake in telling me it was in. The service manager wanted to compensate me for their error so he gave me a $100. service credit. Pretty nice IMO. That will pay for about 4 oil/filter changes. :)

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
Just make sure it's not something stuck to the tire and not really a plug/patch. Sounds like something I'd do. Cause a big fuss about it and then it'd just be something stuck to the tire.

Users who are viewing this thread