New motors Break in tunes...

cobra-k

Established Member
Hey guys, just trying to reach out to people who've had new motors.. Did you guys use a break in tune and if so how much power were you making during the process, did you're tuner tune it down a noticeable amount?

My cobra is almost finished except a fuel issue they are having right around 6k rpm my fuel pressure drops right off they are currently working on the problem, possibly fuel pumps but not sure feel free to chime in. Anyways I decided to throw in a 298ci pro series stroker from livernois, stock heads with new guides, fore return system 60lb injectors, 255lph twin walbros, fore rails 8-6, slp long tubes back, jlt cai, 2600sct maf, 2.6 Kenne bell pullied down from 3 to 3.5" stock lower not sure how much boost 15-16 prob it made 19-20 with the 3" on stock motor last year. With the 3.5 and stroker it made a little over 500whp at 6k until that issue is resolved, but can't see the numbers being that big of difference. I know the car has a lot more potential everything was done to keep things safe during the break in stage. Just curious if this sounds normal or not.. Thanks

03' White Snake

Established Member
My engine builder told me no boost for first 500 miles. After that I went right on the dyno and had it tuned. The tune was close enough so u could drive it on the tune it had before.

Ourobos

Established Member
I trailered mine from the engine builder's to the dyno, first miles were put on it on the dyno, made 455/468. Changed the oil immediately, will be changing again when I hit 200 miles. Runs like a top.

Mystic03

Established Member
usually breaking in the motor mainly is seating the rings..using break in oil (specified RP/ amsoil) or old fashioned dino oil..i will be taking my car after priming it which is a must! to my dyno shop for the break in procedure and tune

fr03cobra

Established Member
No way would i break it in on the dyno. Planning on no boost for 1k miles on break in.

Mystic03

Established Member
you need a good tune for break in you cant run it too rich otherwise you will wash the rings etc..9/10 new motors have cams..ported heads etc.. if thats your case you need a good break in tune dont want to risk washing the rings out especially with e85

Users who are viewing this thread