New mods going on...

Tyler72

Established Member
Well, I got the itch for more power... The Boss threw down ~360 RWHP on our Mustang Dyno but I know it can be so much better. I don't really want to go down the forced induction route right now, so I'm going to keep it N/A at least until its paid for. I have ordered a set of Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes and a 3" catted x pipe, a JLT oil separator, and also ordered an Airaid Parnelli Jones carbon fiber CAI and will be getting a custom tune for the mods. I am shooting for at least 420 RWHP on the same Mustang Dyno on pump gas, and I might do a VP110 Race Gas tune also. :rockon:

I have to keep it under 100 DB to autocross in our local region so I'm keeping the stock cat back for now until I can hear how loud it is. I'm planning on getting the Kooks cat-back too if the car is too quiet.

darreng505

Established Member
Well, I got the itch for more power... The Boss threw down ~360 RWHP on our Mustang Dyno but I know it can be so much better. I don't really want to go down the forced induction route right now, so I'm going to keep it N/A at least until its paid for. I have ordered a set of Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes and a 3" catted x pipe, a JLT oil separator, and also ordered an Airaid Parnelli Jones carbon fiber CAI and will be getting a custom tune for the mods. I am shooting for at least 420 RWHP on the same Mustang Dyno on pump gas, and I might do a VP110 Race Gas tune also. :rockon:

I have to keep it under 100 DB to autocross in our local region so I'm keeping the stock cat back for now until I can hear how loud it is. I'm planning on getting the Kooks cat-back too if the car is too quiet.

I have those mods, except I have the catless H-pipe and open side exhaust. I'm at around 419-423rwhp. With cats, you can expect a bit less. Also, dyno numbers can vary. I was 380 on one system (forget the kind of dyno) and 422 on another. If you're coming in at 360rwhp you are probably on the kind of dyno that reads lower. With those mods, look for about 30rwhp over your stock pulls.

Tyler72

Established Member
Well... I don't think I'm asking for too much. We dynoed a 2011 GT with the same mods (except I think he had off road x & possibly a cat back) & he put down 407 on our dyno. It had the stock GT intake manifold & of course the regular GT heads/cams. I figured the Boss intake, ported heads, & bigger cams/valves would allow me at least 13 HP over a GT.

But with that said, my cars always seem to make less power than the same exact car that someone else owns. :shrug:

Its very frustrating actually.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
Dyno numbers are exactly that...just numbers. With the mods you are looking at, you should be deep into the 11's so let that be the judge.

Tyler72

Established Member
If I wanted to drag race I would have bought a Shelby lol. This car is made for a road course which is why I bought it. I auto cross it monthly and plan on taking it to a few HPDE and open track events too. I highly doubt I'll ever run it down a drag strip.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
If I wanted to drag race I would have bought a Shelby lol. This car is made for a road course which is why I bought it. I auto cross it monthly and plan on taking it to a few HPDE and open track events too. I highly doubt I'll ever run it down a drag strip.

Or do this...my point was not to let your dyno numbers be the end all be all. If you are running down M3's, etc on the track thats all you need.

Tyler72

Established Member
Ok so the AirAid carbon fiber CAI came in yesterday. I assembled the air box and the tube this evening. Tomorrow after I'm through with work Im going to strap the car to the dyno and make a couple baseline tests. Then I'm going to pull the stock air box and install the new AirAid kit and then make a couple more pulls. AirAid claims 11 hp and 11 ft/lbs of torque with no other mods on a mustang dyno, which just happens to be what we use. I am already calling BS but you never know I guess... Either way I'll post results and I may even call or email them the results as well.

Next mod will be the 1 7/8" Kooks headers and catted x pipe. When they go on, I'll re-install the stock air box and repeat this test to see what just headers/x-pipe does. The idea here is to see what each mod adds by itself. Then after completing the header only test, I'll switch back to the AirAid and make a couple pulls with both mods on the stock tune. Finally, I'm planning on getting a tune from Shaun at AED and I'll flash the PCM with his tune and run the test one last time. I'm betting the mods wont show too much of a gain without a tune to go with them...

NOGI88

Established Member
Ok so the AirAid carbon fiber CAI came in yesterday. I assembled the air box and the tube this evening. Tomorrow after I'm through with work Im going to strap the car to the dyno and make a couple baseline tests. Then I'm going to pull the stock air box and install the new AirAid kit and then make a couple more pulls. AirAid claims 11 hp and 11 ft/lbs of torque with no other mods on a mustang dyno, which just happens to be what we use. I am already calling BS but you never know I guess... Either way I'll post results and I may even call or email them the results as well.

Next mod will be the 1 7/8" Kooks headers and catted x pipe. When they go on, I'll re-install the stock air box and repeat this test to see what just headers/x-pipe does. The idea here is to see what each mod adds by itself. Then after completing the header only test, I'll switch back to the AirAid and make a couple pulls with both mods on the stock tune. Finally, I'm planning on getting a tune from Shaun at AED and I'll flash the PCM with his tune and run the test one last time. I'm betting the mods wont show too much of a gain without a tune to go with them...

Awesome. I hope you're able to do all those test. Looking forward to your results.

Tyler72

Established Member
Well, I got the intake installed and did my testing...

Anyone care to guess if the intake helped, hurt, or changed nothing power wise? If so, how much do you think? :shrug:

twistedneck

Established Member
The cai looks great when you pop the hood even for the same HP that's worth it.. and it sounds better get rid of that sono tube now you don't need it!

Nice Mod list i know the car is a blast to drive - Have you been reading threads about engine braking creating a mountain of vacuum in these cars? keep that in mind. with the aed tune you wont have the 1.0 lambda issues at wot down long straights.

AED should be a lot better than the track key for safety. E85 to make it run even cooler!

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
Well...

Their claims are actually legitimate..

SCAN0104_zps7e11867d.gif

I picked up 12 HP and 8 Lb/Ft of torque on 2 back to back pulls with the track key. Conditions were identical as the intake was actually swapped with the car on the dyno. So maybe 15 minutes between the runs.

This is intake only, not tune or any other mod!

Before:
IMAG0702_zps69b656df.gif

After:
IMAG0705_zpse9471bb8.gif

It looks so much better now!!!

prn1972

Established Member
Tyler that 12hp isn't going to help you against me...lol...just playing intake looks way better, Tyler does great work & car will not go anywhere but to InTune Motorsports

Tyler72

Established Member
Tried both ways and made no difference in power at all.

By the way, please punctuate and don't use short hand. I have no idea what the last part of your post was supposed to mean??? Pick up 1 & 1 what?

By the way Paul, it all depends on what type of racing we are doing. Lol, I'll line up against you on an auto cross course any day and put that GT to shame! Haha. In all seriousness though you really do need to come try it sometime.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread