New Mach1 or Bullitt?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The Bullitt had bespoke engine mods, suspension, and premium interior.

I feel like the '01 is under-rated by many. I mean it was still slow compared to the mach 1 and cobra, but the minor tweaks on paper were significant over the 01 GT in the real world.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Wait.. wut

The GT350 is just a bespoke motor, suspension upgrades, and premium interior? o_O

Yeah, I didn't catch that the first time I read his post. I agree with most everything else he said, though. However, the GT350s are so different from the rest of the S550s that they're basically different cars altogether.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Wait.. wut

The GT350 is just a bespoke motor, suspension upgrades, and premium interior? o_O

If that's the case, then your boss is the equivalent of bullitt because it still ran a coyote based drivetrain. Given how much engineering went into the chassis and suspension, as well as the motor and transmission, for the GT350's, I'd say it's more than just a "little bit" of work done to a stock GT. I'd call that a total overhaul. Especially when you consider the car is legitimately wider and aerodynamic.

I'm definitely oversimplifying the GT350 for my post. It's a serious overhaul and I consider it basically a different car as well. But it's place in the line up is the same as the Mach 1 and the Boss 302. It's the middle ground between the GT and the (hopefully soon to be announced) GT500.

I still feel a modern Mach would be a waste of money. Yes, you could go the 911 (C, CS, GTS, GT3, Turbo) or AMG GT (GT, GT-S, GT-C, GT-R) route and split the lineup into smaller niches, or just put that money into a top of the range GT500.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
special models/packages boost sales.

maybe they can retrofit an SRA into it

just dont make it an ecoboost mach 1 (facepalm).

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
special models/packages boost sales.

maybe they can retrofit an SRA into it

just dont make it an ecoboost mach 1 (facepalm).

Exactly. They drive foot traffic, and can help boost profit levels on the mustang, as usually the "lesser" special editions like the bullitt and mach 1 usually have a lot of their costs already paid for by other programs and require very little capital investment.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
its too bad they didnt really introduce anything other than the GT350 and Cal Special for the first half of the S550. just seems like all the cars look the same.
Ford should introduce some kind of 1LE competitor. a lightened, no frills GT with track focused goodies. magnetic suspension, GT350 brakes, wider wheels/tires. a poor mans GT350 if you will

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
They don't have a california special S550 do they? I thought it was just the 50th anniversary edition where they built 1964 or 1965 of them, and now the GT350.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
They don't have a california special S550 do they? I thought it was just the 50th anniversary edition where they built 1964 or 1965 of them, and now the GT350.

they do. its pretty subtle. looks good though.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If they make it like movie 68 the bullitt can be home run. More power better handling, 50th Anniversary of the car the run amuck in San Fran with McQueen at the when.

Stangsalot

Established Member
I do not see the Mach 1 coming back. 03/04 was only made to get rid of a surplus of cobra engines they had laying around while they finished developing the 03 Cobra. They decided not to produce a Cobra in 02 so they had to do something with the engines and the Mach 1 filled in nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

281CJ

Established Member
I do not see the Mach 1 coming back. 03/04 was only made to get rid of a surplus of cobra engines they had laying around while they finished developing the 03 Cobra. They decided not to produce a Cobra in 02 so they had to do something with the engines and the Mach 1 filled in nicely.

Not sure how they could be surplus when intake mani aside they could have used it all for the Terminator. The pistons/rods were the same as any GT so all it would mean was one fewer parts order for those. The block/heads could have been used for SUV's or terminators. There were many cheaper options to use the parts on than the Mach1. Same for the Marauder.

You could easily say that blower/rods/pistons aside the Termi engine was also surplus.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Lol

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

They did build 2002 cobras.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I agree that Ford should just make both. I'm not the slightest fan of the Bullitt because it looks so lack luster. I understand that the color is it's selling point but ford did have that color on many mustangs that weren't on the iconic Bullitt car so why can't we just have that color on all options and call it a day. For those who are real mustang fans know the Mach 1 and what influence it had in racing as did the 03-04 so I'll always root for the model that walked the walk.

281CJ

Established Member
Personally, I feel a Bullitt is more likely than a Mach1 The Bullitt was, basically, the GT with an intake and cat back tweak, and FR suspension. The GT with performance package is nearly that already. They would just need to toss on a FR intake, and cat back, slight ECU tweak, and some green paint.

It would cost less in R&D to put out. They already have all the parts.

A Mach1, if they keep with the trend of the last one. would likely have to have either an NA version of the next GT500 engine or an NA version of left over 5.8's. Either case would require a new intake manifold, tuning and possibly rods/pistons unless some can be borrowed from another car. I'd like it but it would almost end up costing as much as a GT500, but then again the Mach1 was only about 4-5K less than a Terminator.

smitty2919

Established Member
Also, people like "rare" even if it's a "GT with upgrades". Most will buy it to say they own one (like 90% of the GT350R owners lol). Yes it would be a Ford gimmick, but it stirs up the marketing for Ford.

I owned a 03 Mach 1 and liked it for the bigger motor and Azure Blue. Sharp looking car with black 18" saleen wheels. Then as time went on I wanted to autocross and road race, Mach 1 was too nice to rip into so I sold it for almost what I bought it for. Had I kept it for even 1 more year I would have depreciated it in the eyes of the "purists".

Users who are viewing this thread