new kind of homemade CIA

kingcobra9450

Established Member
Well i thought about making my own CIA out of pvc pipe but then i had an even better idea... I bought one of the crappy CIA of ebay for a total of 40 bucks and im gonna test the fitment of it. If it fits well im going to use that as a template and make my own out of fiberglass because it wont heat up as much as metal and is strong and i have alot of it that i can use for free. What do you guys think, will it work well? Once i start the project ill take pictures and let you guys know how it works out. Oh and this is the CIA i bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-9...2QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It's bad because of where it places the MAF; the MAF experiences a lot of turbulence there. The MAF should be located just after the filter.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You can simply just attach the filter to the end of the MAFS, and throw out that 90 degree piece.

kingcobra9450

Established Member
so i guess i could relocate the MAF to the fenderwall and make a piece where the MAF would normally been with this CIA. But what needs to be done to relocate the MAF, is it hard to do?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Why not just do as I said?
If you really want to relocate the MAF, then your local auto parts store carries the piece. It's sold over by the CAIs and engine dress up parts.

kingcobra9450

Established Member
badass98svt i thought the whole point of the that the filter is in the fenderwall is because it pulls the most cold air from it and if i take the elbow away i guess its just a ram air correct?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, ram air.
If you install a heat shield, it has pretty much the same affect as the fenderwell mounted air filter. Without the risk of sucking in water.
The HP difference is nill

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You said you bought "CIA", not a "CAI"

Tim was saying how did you convince George W. Bush to sell the CIA

....It's not as funny when you have to explain it. :shrug:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
badass98svt said:
Yes, ram air.
If you install a heat shield, it has pretty much the same affect as the fenderwell mounted air filter. Without the risk of sucking in water.
If your car has the fender liner it's not likely that you are going to get water up in the filter. However if my car was a daily driver I would consider an inside mount with heat shield more seriously. Nonetheless, you are definately going to get cooler air when the filter is in the fenderwell verses under the hood. It's been tested and proven by several companies that the air temps are much higher when just using a heat shield. Since none of the shields can acutally seal off the air, they really don't do much. As for the 90 degree elbow bend, it causes some turbulance, but I haven't had any issues with my Densecharger which has a fenderwell mount elbow. My biggest issue was with using the stock tube to the throttle body due to its shape. Once I got the WMS Velocity tube on this spring it leaned my car out some and got rid of the backfiring. Just my .02 worth.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
badass98svt said:
Yes, ram air.

Common misconception. The filter will not SUCK water through like a vaccum unless you drive in 8" puddles all the time. I drove through a 5-7" puddle at 40mph with my old MAC and nothing happened. WATER on the filter is different then WATER all around the filter. Getting water on the filter won't harm anything.

Users who are viewing this thread