New head unit install?s

Jay G

Established Member
Hello all I am getting a new alpine headunit for my term model #cda-9857,and was curious about how to install and what would be needed to do it. First off who here has done it themselves, second is it pretty tough or fairly simple? Also everywhere I have called they keep talking about an amp bypass because of the mach 460 at an extra 120$, what does that consist of exactly? Lastly one place told me that I would have to get all new speakers for some gay reason sounds like :bs: to me anyways any help is very appreciated. TIA

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
im interested in this as well as i have a head unit that i want to install, but i dont want to go through the whole changing of the amps and speakers.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
if memory serves, the stock HU handles the highs, with the other amps handling the mid/lows...
I have heard of a harness that will let you use the stock amps, but I will have to look for more info.

Jay G

Established Member
Thanx BlackMach, I've been searching myself but no luck, please let me know if you find something.

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
The parts you will need are a dash kit for a 2003-2004 Mustang and there is a harness available that will allow you to use the factory amps. When you buy the harness you MUST tell them you have a Mach sound system. Anybody that tells you that you will have to change the speakers doesn't know what they are talking about. This is only true for Corvettes and a few Caddy's. The install is simple. You need to remove the panel around the shifter and shift knob and unplug the fog light, traction control, and cig plug. After that you need to remove the bezel around the radio and climate controls. There are no screws, just clips, but you need to pull pretty hard as it is quite stiff. Once you get the dash bezel off there are two 7mm screws that hold the radio to the subdash. Remove these and the radio will slide out. Wire the Alpine harness to the aftermarket harness and plug it in to the factory radio plugs. Lastly mount the radio to the dash kit previously mentioned, then mount the dash kit to the subdash using the two 7mm screws. Now reinstall the upper dash bezel, lower dash bezel, and shift knob. Good luck, and great choice with the Alpine 9857, it's a great radio!!!!

Last edited:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
i tried that before. the adapter for using the stock amps is a metra part. it works, but the sound is not great imho. the tweeters are gonna need a bass blockers.

i've never tried actually bypassing the amps, and i think that might sound better, but im not sure. im really not trying to change out the entire mach 460. i only have the alpine head unit because it was the only thing i recovered from my accident in my mach1.

i hope we can get some more input on this, as i know there are at least three ways to get this done

1. all new sound stuff.
2. using the metra harness with stock amps and speakers.
3. bypassing stock amps and using the h\u's built amp.

Pete's 03

Established Member
If you bypass the factory amps you will still need to put bass blockers on the tweeters, but wouthout changing speakers this is the best way to do it. Last week I installed a Kenwood deck and a couple Memphis amps in my brothers 99 Cobra using the stock speakers. I used two pair of MB Quart crossovers from a couple of old sets of 6.5" seperates I had laying around, and his stock speakers sounded great. (I also added a 10" woofer). I always tell my customers that not using the factory amps is best, but it is still an option if they want to keep the cost down.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
so pete. what would you recommend for my cobra. i have a alpine cda 9853. should i find an installer to bybass the stock amps, install bass blockers on both door tweeters (or disconnect them), and use the head units built in amp. how will this sound. this of course on stock speakers.

Pete's 03

Established Member
solidsnak3 said:
so pete. what would you recommend for my cobra. i have a alpine cda 9853. should i find an installer to bybass the stock amps, install bass blockers on both door tweeters (or disconnect them), and use the head units built in amp. how will this sound. this of course on stock speakers.

Depends on what you plan to do in the future(if anything), and of course budget. The "right" way to do it would be to run the speakers off the Alpine deck. The only downside to this is you have to pull the door panels to install bass blockers or crossovers, and run new speaker wires either to the wires at the amps in the trunk or directly to the speakers themselves. If you plan on adding more aftermarket audio gear in the future, I would run the wires directly to the speakers in the doors and rear decklid. Doing this will not only make future audio work eisier, but you can retain all the factory Mach soundsystem wiring/amps if you choose to return it to stock someday. Whenever I get around to doing my stereo, I will run new speaker wires from each speaker to the trunk, where I will install a aftermarket 4 channel amp to run them. So to answer your question, I would run the speakers off the deck power, but like I said, there is more than one way of doing this. The factory Mach speakers aren't very efficient, so you may notice that the volume capabilities are less than with the stock system, which is why I am going to add a amp to run them. It sounds confusing, but if you can find a reputable shop in your area I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
ive done audio installs before. my mach 1 had the alpine headunit that ran to a 4 channel amp. i then ran speaker wires from the speakers to the amp. time consuming but it sounded great. i guess ill just do it again in the future. btw, is there a way incorprate an ipod into your stock mach 1 system. im not talking about an fm modulator, but an actuall connection.

Pete's 03

Established Member
solidsnak3 said:
ive done audio installs before. my mach 1 had the alpine headunit that ran to a 4 channel amp. i then ran speaker wires from the speakers to the amp. time consuming but it sounded great. i guess ill just do it again in the future. btw, is there a way incorprate an ipod into your stock mach 1 system. im not talking about an fm modulator, but an actuall connection.

I know there is for the 2004 deck that plays MP3, not sure if there is one for the 2003 decks. If it has cd changer controls for a trunk mounted changer, then you should be able to find one somewhere. Try PAC, PIE, or Peripheral.

Disturbance

B.N.4279 ~ B.D.12/11/02
Established Member
Pete's 03 said:
I know there is for the 2004 deck that plays MP3, not sure if there is one for the 2003 decks. If it has cd changer controls for a trunk mounted changer, then you should be able to find one somewhere. Try PAC, PIE, or Peripheral.
I thought it was the other way around the 03 could play MP3's and the 04 couldn't http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43204&highlight=Ipod :shrug:
or Iam thinking about the Ipod thing?:shrug:

EDIT: Figured it out Pie came out with a new setup for the 04http://www.pie.net/forum/

Last edited:

Jay G

Established Member
Thank alot Pete with your post I should be able to make this happen.By the way I picked up the head unit and it even came with a cable to hook up straight to my ipod free, plus the new hu looks friggin awesome.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
another question, what type of speaker upgrades can be done to the stock systems without having to change out the other crap.

Pete's 03

Established Member
solidsnak3 said:
another question, what type of speaker upgrades can be done to the stock systems without having to change out the other crap.

Any speakers that are the right size and of decent quality would work fine. There are a few companies (Alpine, JL Audio, Boston...) that make 5x7" component sets that would fit perfectly. These would be the best setup for the front doors. In the rear I would use a comparible 5x7" coaxial. Changing the speakers will alway make it sound better, but to get more volume you need to add power.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread