New Guy ????'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Let me simplify the argument. I’m going to spend 25K on a car. I would like to spend no more than 2K on mods over the first year of ownership. This will not be all at once! Just to be fair let assume both cars are stock. Completely stock! Which would it be? Please provide the facts! I hope this evens up the argument some!!! I know I'll end up doing more over time I just want to see what said with some limits on money!

hit it with a 1000 shot of nitrous. Nitrous seems to be the cool thing in this thread :lol1:

Personally, I own a cobra, but I love the z06 as well. I don't t hink you could go wrong either way.

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
Let me simplify the argument. I’m going to spend 25K on a car. I would like to spend no more than 2K on mods over the first year of ownership. This will not be all at once! Just to be fair let assume both cars are stock. Completely stock! Which would it be? Please provide the facts! I hope this evens up the argument some!!! I know I'll end up doing more over time I just want to see what said with some limits on money!

Again, I say 03-04 cobra best bang for the buck PERIOD.
For a stock unmodified car and 25,000 gets you a whole lot of car in the terminator.
You can not find a decent Z06 for 25'000, well maybe from a crack head....

Has stainless40cal ever had a 03-04 cobra?:burn:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Seriously all this hashing and you are still talking different things... 25K is a LOT of money for a used car, claiming it's still a good bang for the buck is funny to me.

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
Seriously all this hashing and you are still talking different things... 25K is a LOT of money for a used car, claiming it's still a good bang for the buck is funny to me.

I guess this is directed towards me?

I am not "talking different things".

This is what I meant from the get go.....

I never started talking about modified this or modified that...

Read what the OP just posted, and answer his question...

You can find a clean 03 cobra for around 22,000, spend a 1,000 on mods and have +/-450rwhp.
A pulley swap is very easy to do, the only thing that can't be done at home would be the tune. We are not talking about swapping heads, or sliding in a cam. Most people will not tackle a job like that alone.

So for a clean, great looking, all around street car, with 450rwhp and minimal work and +/-23,000 = Terminator.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
hit it with a 1000 shot of nitrous. Nitrous seems to be the cool thing in this thread :lol1:

Personally, I own a cobra, but I love the z06 as well. I don't t hink you could go wrong either way.

:lol1: 500 shot on a stock z06 = 7s :burnout:

Every stock LS1/LS6 can handle 600, 700, 800rwhp+, forged internals and iron blocks are just a commodity.

Last edited:

Stangfreek

Premium Unleaded Member
Established Member
Dont own a house. Dont need one dont want one till i can afford one that i want. I have more experience in building cars in my 6 years that 90% of most people do in there whole lives. All cars have been paid off in cash( besides the vette half cash half loan) how about that one????? Guess i probly wouldnt need to finance then would I except for one vehicle???

I guess since you an accountant you should put these things into factor before you assume things...... I have been working for as long as i have been able to. Both sides of my family are filled with mechanics and a few car salesmen along the way. Along with 4 shops included in the whole family..... Cars are all kept at home or at the shop. Any more questions?

Translation:

I live in my parents basement. The Chevelle is my uncle Franks, but he let me drive it once. It runs 9's, but it hasn't been to the track.

The Nova is my mom's it's almost as fast as the Chevelle. She let's me take it to the movies on Fridays, as long as I'm back by 10.

The Z06 belongs to some guy who dropped it off at the "speed shop" that I sweep the bathrooms for. It's gonna be blowing Cobra's off the road when the weather gets better, because Cobras are nothing but Mustang GT's with a blower slapped on it. I've been working there since I was 13, building race motors and scrubbing the bathroom. They call me "Lamp", so they must like me.

My family has a rich history of changing oil and rotating tires, and I like to watch. Someday I will take over the Quik Stop, and I'll buy that double-wide down on the creek.

So all yall can just shut the **** up, cause you don't know me. And you Stangfreek, I'll see you in May, my bus leaves tomorrow.

Beetle6986

Established Member
Its very interesting how every time i post something to shut you up you bring up a new subject......:lol1:

What about the ls1's with 600-700rwhp on stock short block part for YEARS? You have nothing to say????? Where you wrong? Yep i think so but its cool im not worried about it. This thread has gotten really old so im done with it cause its becoming a joke no matter what someones tells you the cobra will always be the best bang for your buck so thats fine thats your opinon.

Wow stainless! You get the monthly award for the biggest tool on the site. A Cobra was the best bang the buck in 03. How many cars could you buy in 03 for under $35,000 that run 12s stock and have more than 400 horsepower? The Cobra should still be the best bang for the buck unless the Z06 corvettes can't seem to hold any resale value (and I'm not talking about OLDER cars like you posted earlier!:bash:). Z06 Corvettes cost more new and they cost more used (very simple). Also, please stop comparing inexpensive modes such as nitrous with more expensive mods such as a blower upgrade. Thats apples to oranges:shrug:. You can add nitrous to a cobra just as easily as you can to a LSx. Please stop with the comments about reliable stock LSx cars with a 300 shot on them. I can't stop laughing.:lol:

Last edited:

Stangfreek

Premium Unleaded Member
Established Member
In all seriousness, for Busyreading...

Stock for stock the Cobra is faster than the LS2 GTO. A C5Z is quicker than a Cobra, stock for stock. A pulley change remedies that, and like you said, the backseat is nice. Overall for performance, a C5Z is a better performer, but it's just as easy to go big fast in a Cobra as it is in a C5Z, if not easier.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I guess this is directed towards me?

I am not "talking different things".

This is what I meant from the get go.....

I never started talking about modified this or modified that...

Read what the OP just posted, and answer his question...

You can find a clean 03 cobra for around 22,000, spend a 1,000 on mods and have +/-450rwhp.
A pulley swap is very easy to do, the only thing that can't be done at home would be the tune. We are not talking about swapping heads, or sliding in a cam. Most people will not tackle a job like that alone.

So for a clean, great looking, all around street car, with 450rwhp and minimal work and +/-23,000 = Terminator.

Wasn't directed at you... was directed at the whole discussion... what you are saying is dead on... it's the 'bang for the buck' thing that I think is twisted. The Termi and C5 Z06 are not cars that come to mind when someone says 'best bang for the buck'.... it takes nothing away from either of them.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
In all seriousness, for Busyreading...

Stock for stock the Cobra is faster than the LS2 GTO. A C5Z is quicker than a Cobra, stock for stock. A pulley change remedies that, and like you said, the backseat is nice. Overall for performance, a C5Z is a better performer, but it's just as easy to go big fast in a Cobra as it is in a C5Z, if not easier.

Thank you. I didn't mean to cause this huge post or offend anyone with the term bang for the buck. I'm 99.99% sure I'm going with the Cobra. I want to be diffent. Where I live there are GTO's everywhere and I've only seen 2 Terminators. A back seat is something I'd like and by the sound of how easy the cobra is to mod I think this is a great car for what I want. So now the search begins!! Thanks to everyone.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The bottom line is Z06s ARE better cars. However, they're more expensive to buy & mod. Don't let one stupid tool with exaggerated claims try to convince you otherwise. Sure you can throw a 150-200shot or whatever at either car, but that doesn't make one cheaper than the other to mod.

Wasn't directed at you... was directed at the whole discussion... what you are saying is dead on... it's the 'bang for the buck' thing that I think is twisted. The Termi and C5 Z06 are not cars that come to mind when someone says 'best bang for the buck'.... it takes nothing away from either of them.

It's all personal preference, they're both newer cars that offer a lot of performance for the money. All things considered, including ride quality, looks, interior, price and performance I think they're two of the best 'bang for your buck' cars out there. Obviously everyone has their own defenition of which type of cars offer the best bang for your buck. You can build an fbody or a 5.0 notch for a lot less for example, and some people would consider that to be a better bang for your buck..;-)

blownaltered

Established Member
There are a ton of cobras in dallas and there atleast four running around town with over 800 rwhp with stock long blocks. One is actually in the 1000hp range. Not to bad for a half ass built factory motor.

180ls1

Established Member

o ok now i see this i did not want to read 8 pages. But yes you can find a used c5 z06 for under 25k. If you have 2k to spend then either choice would be swell. The vettes love the cams. With a good intake/cam/exhaust and tune setup on a z06 it is pretty easy to get 430+rwhp which is hard to beat. All those parts installed should run you no more then 3K. Uf you can install the parts then it should run you closer to 2k. Also if you want to go with a pretty big cam you can get right around 450rwhp with the ls6 vette on a cam intake exhaust car.

Last edited:
There are a ton of cobras in dallas and there atleast four running around town with over 800 rwhp with stock long blocks. One is actually in the 1000hp range. Not to bad for a half ass built factory motor.

1)How much money was dumped into those cars to make their claimed 1,000rwhp? It's not just a turbo on a stock engine. factor in suspension (front and rear), fuel, tuning, chassis, wheels/tires, cooling system, brakes, rear, safety stuff, transmission, etc. You easily have $50-60k spent on buying the car and the mods. My point exaclty. For that price you could build a Z06 to have the same power level and you wouldn't have a bottom end that was a ticking time bomb.

2)They won't be lasting that long under those power levels (around 1000rwhp like they claim).

3)How does anything in your post factor into a thread about someone looking for a $25k car and then looking to do some minor mods to it?

Stangfreek

Premium Unleaded Member
Established Member
1)How much money was dumped into those cars to make their claimed 1,000rwhp? It's not just a turbo on a stock engine. factor in suspension (front and rear), fuel, tuning, chassis, wheels/tires, cooling system, brakes, rear, safety stuff, transmission, etc. You easily have $50-60k spent on buying the car and the mods. My point exaclty. For that price you could build a Z06 to have the same power level and you wouldn't have a bottom end that was a ticking time bomb.

2)They won't be lasting that long under those power levels (around 1000rwhp like they claim).

3)How does anything in your post factor into a thread about someone looking for a $25k car and then looking to do some minor mods to it?

Just a question..but where did the idea that the bottom end on the 03/04 Cobra motor is a ticking time bomb come from? I've never heard anything of the sort. The only motor issues I've ever heard of on the 03/04's was the tick, which has been fixed for a while, and the cooling issue, which is a simple fix.

What's the ticking time bomb?

stainless40cal

Established Member
Just a question..but where did the idea that the bottom end on the 03/04 Cobra motor is a ticking time bomb come from? I've never heard anything of the sort. The only motor issues I've ever heard of on the 03/04's was the tick, which has been fixed for a while, and the cooling issue, which is a simple fix.

What's the ticking time bomb?

Just giving you my input if you care to have it.... I know not all of them have problems but there are a lot of cobras out there that have had motor issuies with the stock shortblock(a lot more than what people like to think) Theres been 3 in my area that have replaced there stock shortblocks with under 40,000 miles.

180ls1

Established Member
a zo6 will also weigh about 3080lbs which is real light and the cam in it works perfect for a forced induction setup or spray.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
o ok now i see this i did not want to read 8 pages. But yes you can find a used c5 z06 for under 25k. If you have 2k to spend then either choice would be swell. The vettes love the cams. With a good intake/cam/exhaust and tune setup on a z06 it is pretty easy to get 430+rwhp which is hard to beat. All those parts installed should run you no more then 3K. Uf you can install the parts then it should run you closer to 2k. Also if you want to go with a pretty big cam you can get right around 450rwhp with the ls6 vette on a cam intake exhaust car.

Maybe you should read the thread then, you can find as many c5 Z06s for $25K as you can find 03 Cobras for $20K.

Now take a look at 03 Cobras for sale on this site. I would never buy a car that sells for $5K less than what it should at some shady dealership found on autotrader, who knows what's wrong with it. The going price for a 02+ z06 is not under $25K, that is beyond a stretch.

When it's all said and done unless you're doing the labor yourself, full length headers= $1200+ installed, cam+springs+retainers+labor = $1,000+ installed, tune, tb, intake, bolt-ons that are needed to make 430rwhp+ on a cam only car add up as well. Go see how many people spent $2,000 to build a cam'd LSX, I sure as hell didn't.

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Well this went totally off topic. Take your pissing contest elsewhere.

To the OP, sorry about the cluster...

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread