New guy, old problem...

trmnlfrst

Auto crossing-
Established Member
New to the forum, posting and Thornton Colorado with an 03 DSG vert. I've watched the threads for a bit in anticipation of this fateful day and this may blend the tuner and emissions posts but I just returned from Air Care Colorado's Broomfield location with my nifty emissions failure certificate. Everything else good but over the limit on NOx, but not by too much (NOx GPM reading 2.24, limit 1.5). I've got an old KB 2.2, Siemens 60 pounders, Big Mouth SCT, 90mm TB, Bassani high flow cats and mufflers, Fluidyne exchanger and radiator. Running a B&D Racing SCT tune I get 574/511 HP/TQ.

BLUF - make me smart gentlemen, I've got calls into Scott Patton and Finish Line Automotive for both (de)tuning help if needed and the way around my high NOx reading. Some posters have mentioned Rob Williams (can't find him), Harvey Epstein and James Parker, who am I missing and in particular what are some potential causes for high NOx and has anyone experienced and/or cracked this nut?

Thanks,

Eric

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Not sure of the answer to your question I live in the Springs, so for now we don't have to deal with the emissions issues. All the guys you mentioned are really good tuners I have first hand experience with Johnny at Finish line perf. Scott at pperformance and Rob Williams.

All three are awesome guys to work with I know Scott is always busy as well as Johnny and crew. I used Rob specifically cause of the closer location to my house.

I believe Rob is getting ready to open a new shop? closed down old location he is an awesome tuner specifically on terminators and new 5.0s you can probably get a hold of him on facebook. I have his number but I don't want to post without his permission.

trmnlfrst

Auto crossing-
Established Member
Thanks guys. I spoke with Rob Williams and the Finish Line guys are in Vegas for the Street Car gig till after Thanksgiving. I'll probably give Rob a shot. I only have till 2 JAN 15 till my temporary registration expires and I'm thinking if I don't clear the hurdle I'll somehow get raped by CO.

White Devil I do have my old pipe and you're not the first to call that one. My high flow Bassani's are old indeed. Question though, I'm concerned that the stock pipes are more restrictive so... Or do you mention replacing the Bassani's to simply squeak this emissions garbage?

And Big Dad, good call on the EGR. Is there a way that I confirm or deny that while in my garage, idling, etc.?

The car needs a fresh look anyway since arriving here. I'll throw some tune up stuff at it and wait for a recommendation on plugs. I'm still running old NGK TR6's, might not be the best in CO.

Thanks again!

Eric

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Apply vacuum to the egr valve at idle and see if she stalls/sputters.

You could watch DPFE voltage while driving too with scanner or other obd ii device.

SV

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
White Devil I do have my old pipe and you're not the first to call that one. My high flow Bassani's are old indeed. Question though, I'm concerned that the stock pipes are more restrictive so... Or do you mention replacing the Bassani's to simply squeak this emissions garbage?

Eric

Yes. Put the stock H back on get er smogged. Then switch it back. I do it here in CA every two years.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Yes. Put the stock H back on get er smogged. Then switch it back. I do it here in CA every two years.
Yup, what he said. Keep a stock midpipe on hand, I do the same. It also helps to quiet it down... which can be an issue for inspectors around here.

Pantera1

Established Member
Rob tuned my car, awesome guy, he really knows what he's doing. Side note, we have a page and group on facebook if your on there called Colorado terminators, maybe ask the question in there

trmnlfrst

Auto crossing-
Established Member
Thanks gentlemen. EGR is functioning, scanned that the other day, didn't toss a code. Car has 27,000 on it but I'll freshen a few things this week, looks like I'm due for a dyno sesh next week. Good time for a CAI too so I'll post back with a smog "tune" and a regular...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Could it be that you just have a bad tune? If so, a re-tune could fix your problem before you jump to a "smog tune". Can you do the re-tune and try to pass emissions again? Then if it fails you can quickly try a midpipe swap if the issue is indeed the cats, or consider a de-tune.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Thanks gentlemen. EGR is functioning, scanned that the other day, didn't toss a code. Car has 27,000 on it but I'll freshen a few things this week, looks like I'm due for a dyno sesh next week. Good time for a CAI too so I'll post back with a smog "tune" and a regular...

Who's tuning your car? I've been trying to get a hold of Rob Williams for a retune suppose to call me back by yesterday he never did getting tired of waiting on him might be Finishline performance see if they can get me in?

trmnlfrst

Auto crossing-
Established Member
The current setup was managed by B&D Racing with zero issues. If you take a look at my first post on this thread it's all about the heat and NOx, being new to Colorado the 2 pipe shuffle seems to be the ticket CobraBob.

Stage 4.6, I've talked to Rob Williams, Finish Line and Scott Patton. I know two of the three were in Las Vegas a few weeks back and that might've hindered their call back ability. Maybe try again, I've gotten the "Christmas is coming, so is my mother-in-law" dance as well.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
The current setup was managed by B&D Racing with zero issues. If you take a look at my first post on this thread it's all about the heat and NOx, being new to Colorado the 2 pipe shuffle seems to be the ticket CobraBob.

Stage 4.6, I've talked to Rob Williams, Finish Line and Scott Patton. I know two of the three were in Las Vegas a few weeks back and that might've hindered their call back ability. Maybe try again, I've gotten the "Christmas is coming, so is my mother-in-law" dance as well.

yeah Scott is booked up from what ive herd I didn't get a hold of Johnny at Finishline but two days after I posted this Rob called me, just found out that he started moving equipment into his shop yesterday, he actually is coming down to pick my car up and trailer it to his shop this afternoon, I've had an IAC/idle problem ever since the KB install.

So is your cobra good to go on the emissions issue?

trmnlfrst

Auto crossing-
Established Member
I'd love to, already thought of that but aside from dropping it in a family or friend's name (which since I'm new here, I have neither) I don't know how. If that's your scheme help a brother out!

As far as emissions passing goes..have you considered registering it out of county?

trmnlfrst

Auto crossing-
Established Member
Good luck man, since I'm totally new here all the folks on SVTP have been quick to help/recommend the aforementioned shops/tuners. As well as the emissions piece, I haven't been retested yet, I'm putting the stock h-pipe back on and giving it the ole tune up parts and I expect to go back for a test this week. I'll certainly post results.

yeah Scott is booked up from what ive herd I didn't get a hold of Johnny at Finishline but two days after I posted this Rob called me, just found out that he started moving equipment into his shop yesterday, he actually is coming down to pick my car up and trailer it to his shop this afternoon, I've had an IAC/idle problem ever since the KB install.

So is your cobra good to go on the emissions issue?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Good luck man, since I'm totally new here all the folks on SVTP have been quick to help/recommend the aforementioned shops/tuners. As well as the emissions piece, I haven't been retested yet, I'm putting the stock h-pipe back on and giving it the ole tune up parts and I expect to go back for a test this week. I'll certainly post results.

Thanks bud! I get a lot of info/recommendations from this site too, here in the springs we have a few shops that do some good work but I don't know of any that can really tune? that's why iam always driving those extra 70 miles one way to get my car tuned. Rob just picked my car up about an hour ago, ill have him text me his new address to the shop and post it up. Once it gets warm again well have to hook up.

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
Its likely your High flow cats not doing their job. Throw a stock H on their and youll be fine.

Yup, what he said. Keep a stock midpipe on hand, I do the same. It also helps to quiet it down... which can be an issue for inspectors around here.

This ^^^^

ITS NOT THE TUNE ITS YOUR CATS!!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread