New guy here; question

chrisoefer

Established Member
So I recently purchased an 03, 116k miles, completely stock. Guy I bought it from said the water pump and thermostat had just been changed but the temp kept creeping up on him. After I purchased it I started doing my research on the car (my first time owning/working on one) and found the burping procedure and did it. Car ran fine without over heating for a few days with no issues; no over heating, no lost coolant.

I decided to drive it to work on Mondayv such is a 45 minute drive just to see how the cooling did on a longer drive. Just as I was pulling in the parking lot it started getting hot so I shut it off and popped the hood and had coolant puking out of the reservoir cap. More research pointed me to the caps and tank being an ongoing issue. Replaced the cap/burped again that afternoon and drove it around with no issues of running hot.

I had also been having issues with some stumbling or misfires ubeer any boost. Pulled the plugs and checked them, the gaps we way too big, so I got new plugs, gapped them to 0.35. Also did a compression check while I was doing this and it was good also. Drove it around, runs like a beast now. No stumbling at all.

Take it to work this morning and did a third gear pull, ran good, then I start smelling coolant. Pull over, pop the hood, nothing blew out of the cap, but the damn hose from the reservoir to the thermostat housing blew off. I'm obviously getting a lot of pressure in the cooling system. No signs of oil in coolant/coolant in oil. No white smoke. Engine runs strong. All plugs looked good. I'm at a loss right now.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
If you followed the burping procedure on the reische website and are still getting air and you have ruled out a head gasket, then you may want to vacuum fill the system. As difficult as these engines can be to burp, that's really the best way in my opinion.

Edit- Are you able to see real time temps with this car? The stock gauge is a joke and should not be relied on.

chrisoefer

Established Member
No what do you recommend for an accurate reading? Scan tool or just an aftermarket gauge?

Yeah i called my snap on guy I used to deal with and I'm picking up one of their vacuum fill kits after work. If that doesn't work then I'm stuck other than a tear down to visually inspect parts. Other than the pressure in the cooling system, there's no other symptoms for a blown gasket. Hopefully once I get this tool I'll be able to see if it'll even hold a vacuum.

Thanks

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
No what do you recommend for an accurate reading? Scan tool or just an aftermarket gauge?

Yeah i called my snap on guy I used to deal with and I'm picking up one of their vacuum fill kits after work. If that doesn't work then I'm stuck other than a tear down to visually inspect parts. Other than the pressure in the cooling system, there's no other symptoms for a blown gasket. Hopefully once I get this tool I'll be able to see if it'll even hold a vacuum.

Thanks
I really like my aeroforce. I can monitor just about any signal that comes off the computer with it in real time. I watch boost temp (iat2 for term guys) and coolant temp like a hawk.

chrisoefer

Established Member
Well I've never had the thing shut off on me or throw a code. I have noticed anytime it gets a little above half way on the temp gauge I get almost like a review limiter at 3k rpm. I'm guessing that's limp mode on the cars?

chrisoefer

Established Member
Went and looked everything over during lunch, found a tiny tiny hole just under the hose clamp on the hose going from the reservoir to the tstat housing.

Put some positive pressure on the system and could hear some air coming from somewhere around the reservoir also. Already replaced the cap so it's looking like I need to repair that little hole and replace the reservoir. Hopefully doing those two plus the vacuum fill can solve this headache.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good news that you're narrowing cause of your coolant system issue. There's some light at the end of this tunnel. Keep us posted.

chrisoefer

Established Member
Got a combustion leak checker from snap on.

Instructions show two tests, one with engine off one on. Checked it at the cross over tube. Engine off didn't detect anything, engine running it turned yellow real fast. Welp now I guess I'm stuck until I can pay for a head gasket repair.

Anyone ever done it themselves?
What's the cost at a shop?

hotcobra03

Established Member
you said it over heated after long drive..

mine started an issue like that..

car had about 200k on it..

I chased it around for a couple yrs..

last yr it got Un driveable..

I replaced the radiator last...should have been 1st..

I went with sve 3 core..

for testing..I was able to recreate over heating while sitting if ac was on..

car would only cool down with garden hose running on radiator..which showed radiator wasn' working.

2nd

these cooling fans are common to break on ring causing fan not to spin..

Users who are viewing this thread