New GT500 owner with some newb questions

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
I tried searching for some of this but didn't hit any clear answers. So I thought I would introduce myself and let the experts smack me around if I missed something obvious :banana:.

I picked up a 2007 Vista Blue / White stripes GT500 last week with 4500 miles on the odometer. Everything looked and felt solid. The clutch took some getting used to, but I don't seem to have the TSB symptoms yet. The 3yr/36k warranty just went out. I have seen mixed answers, but if the TSB symptoms do appear is this still under powertrain warranty?

The only thing that startled me was yesterday in my driveway. When I let the car idle on a cold start. It was idling at 1000 RPM and a loud harmonic noise echoed through the car. There was a faint vibration that matched it. Engaging the clutch did not affect the noise. However, if I barely added enough gas to change rpm the vibration noise went away. Once the car was warmed up it did not return. Is this normal or is something amiss?

My current to do list:

2008 Harmonic Balancer
New tires
-Even though it's low mileage these F1s seem to be hard as a rock and traction is impossible. I am looking at the G-force KDW 2s in stock sizes. I have run these on all my previous cars and loved them. Also look like a good price for a daily driver. Yes this is my daily driver for the next couple of years until the warranty is gone, then it's mod city in the garage.

chuckstang

Established Member
ok, seems normal

And dont touch the TSB, unless you have obvious symptoms, and it should be covered under the 5 year power train but some dealers are trying to fight by saying it is the clutch which is only covered for a year

For instance, I had the TSB done and have had clutch problems since but Ford as of now will not do anything about cause they say all is normal. I was better off prior to the tsb

dont touch it

drive and enjoy and wathc out with those F1s in the cold!

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Sweet thanks for the heads up. Oh and I forgot to mention I put my SLP Loudmouths on this thing and it sounds sooo damn awesome. :rockon:

svtstang34

Established Member
If you have clutch problems and need the tsb done, make sure you take it to a recommended dealership.Not all ford service departments can perform what needs to be done I did my homework and didn't have any problems with my dealership,I'm glad I had it done.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
i have yet to have the symptoms of the tsb so:shrug: but welcome to the family and i have to disagree because anytime is mod city in my mind:beer: mine started at about 700 miles..lol..

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Drive it, and enjoy it. No sense tearing into the tranny yet.

TexasShelby

Established Member
if you show any symptoms of clutch drag, such as in your garage with the motor running, you should hear a hiss when begin to engage the clutch, if the clutch is all the way engaged and you still hear it, you have a problem. Also under hard acceleration if you feel the tranny "slipping", it's not, its the flywheel coming back and engaging the clutch, you have a problem...

Check your build date, Job1 cars had input shafts installed without being greased.

You should go directly to the service mgr of your dealership and get to know him, and him you...if at any moment you detect these problems, take it in immediately, if they stall or say anything other than, we'll fix this for you...Call Ford Motor Company and get a rep on the phone and tell him what they are doing. He will fix it...
I don't work for a dealer, but I went through that crap with one of the most dishonet dealerships in Texas. So much so, I took it back to the selling dealership and they did the TSB, but then replaced the entire flywheel, clutch assy and a brand new tranny...cha ching, $11K, and was happy to do so. They even called a Ford Rep to come out and take a look see that they were doing everything right.

Don't take any 12/12 warranty clutch crap, it's not the clutch, it was the flywheel burning out the clutch.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I concur with TexasShelby and I'll add this bit of info. I got from the service manager and dealership owner of the dealer that did my TSB, if you ever take it in for the TSB, never ever say the word "clutch", never mention the hiss sound or the flywheel, only say, "It's not shifting correctly" or "At times, I can't shift it into reverse." Again, never talk about the clutch, flywheel or hiss sound.

Welcome to the club, have fun and be safe.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I concur with TexasShelby and I'll add this bit of info. I got from the service manager and dealership owner of the dealer that did my TSB, if you ever take it in for the TSB, never ever say the word "clutch", never mention the hiss sound or the flywheel, only say, "It's not shifting correctly" or "At times, I can't shift it into reverse." Again, never talk about the clutch, flywheel or hiss sound.

Welcome to the club, have fun and be safe.

Yes...Welcome to the club!!! And now that your here, how bout some pics of that gorgeous car...

And WP64...
award.gif

I agree completely!

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Here is a picture from when I picked up at the dealer after window tint and detail.

4037149747_092d6824e9.jpg

I had the same opinion on the TSB, I will drive it until there is an issue, but I am hesitant on finding a dealer in the San Antonio area. That is unless someone has a reference :)

Edit: Does anyone know a way to get a portion of the stripe replaced/repaired? There is a little stripe damage on the front bumper I wanted to take care of.

Last edited:

vankuen

Established Member
Congrats on the new car!! Jordan Ford in San Antonio and Bluebonnet Ford in New Braunsfels have always been good to me. Jordan moreso for the service, and Bluebonnet for the sales.

For those that posted about their bad experiences....who were the Texas dealerships that you had trouble with if you don't mind me asking?

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Congrats on the new car!! Jordan Ford in San Antonio and Bluebonnet Ford in New Braunsfels have always been good to me. Jordan moreso for the service, and Bluebonnet for the sales.

+1 for Jordan Ford :coolman:

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Finally made room in the garage for the car. With the clutch all the way in, I hear the clutch making a very faint hiss sound. I don't have problems with grinding gears or getting into first/reverse yet though. Build date is 8/06, so I think I have the input shaft issue as well. I think I will just keep driving until the transmission starts to act up. I will check out Jordan Ford when the time comes.

Honsestly, I wish I could get a 3.55 rear end with the 2010 gearing ratio and larger clutch :)

Users who are viewing this thread