New gt500 owner. What mods to do first?

rickrubin2

Established Member
Ok so I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 gt500 i have had several Cobras but never a gt500. Couple of questions. So how much power can a gt500 handle safely?
How much power can you run with let's say stock fuel system with upgraded injectors and bap or are they not needed? I guess what I want to do is a pulley swap and tune along with some exhaust. Also what kind of numbers could I expect for that kind of setup? Is there anything I should be worried about like a known part that will fail after pulley swap and tune? Thanks for any responses. Sorry for all of the questions.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Ok so I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 gt500 i have had several Cobras but never a gt500. Couple of questions. So how much power can a gt500 handle safely?
How much power can you run with let's say stock fuel system with upgraded injectors and bap or are they not needed? I guess what I want to do is a pulley swap and tune along with some exhaust. Also what kind of numbers could I expect for that kind of setup? Is there anything I should be worried about like a known part that will fail after pulley swap and tune? Thanks for any responses. Sorry for all of the questions.

All redundant questions but in all of my searching over time here is what knowledge I retained.

~700-800 depends
~575 depends
~530 depends
Tires, clutch, etc. otherwise no.

SirShaun

Established Member
800whp on a solid tune seems to be the proposed maximum on stock internals.

2012s have a beefy stock fuel system. Pump voltage can be adjusted in the tune in the 2011+ models, simulating a boost a pump. You could make 800whp with just injectors. You can run E85 with a BAP+Injectors but it is recommended at a minimum to at least get E85 compatible fuel pumps and a proper fuel filter.

Pulley Swap, Tune and Exhaust should put you between 520-560whp at or around sea level. Stock fuel system is fine.

No known failures with those mods. You will want to upgrade to a dual fan heat exchanger to avoid losing power to heat soak ASAP.
-----

If you plan to make 600+ on sticky tires it gets a bit more expensive. You will then need a 1 piece DS, weld your axle tubes, and your axles will be on borrowed time but should last for awhile.

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
My advice to you is skip the pulley and go straight to a used 2.3 TVS, 2013 injectors, plugs, JLT CAI, Ford Racing twin CJ TB, SCT handheld tuner/programmer and custom dyno tune.

This should be good for a safe 610-640 rwhp, 580-610 rwtq.

If you search around (sponsor sites, forums and classifieds) you should be able to get all the parts for around $2500-3500.

A SCT handheld tuner/programmer with custom dyno tune will run you about $800-1000.

Good luck.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
^^^^

Op, Great opportunity for you.

tvspower

Established Member
OP experience tell us to

1. learn how your ride performs first and notice its faults..usually suspension or shifting problems ...before adding any new power ..because you only create more problems.. Trust me

rickrubin2

Established Member
Thanks for all of the info guys it is much appreciated! I was looking at buying a tvs shifter some exhaust such as mid pipe, axlebacks cold air intake and tune I have a tuner already a live wire ts. Also looking at a lower in kit such as bmr with lower control arms. Is an upper control arm recomended?also what injectors stock 2013? So power level im looking for is right around 650 rwhp. I'm guessing I will need a new clutch? Any other things I should be worried about at this power level?

Native

Established Member
Don't forget about the dangerous airbag recall. Still no parts to fix this for 09 and up Shelbys. I hear there's more risk in higher humidity states. Congrats on the buy.

Mainn

Established Member
Thanks for all of the info guys it is much appreciated! I was looking at buying a tvs shifter some exhaust such as mid pipe, axlebacks cold air intake and tune I have a tuner already a live wire ts. Also looking at a lower in kit such as bmr with lower control arms. Is an upper control arm recomended?also what injectors stock 2013? So power level im looking for is right around 650 rwhp. I'm guessing I will need a new clutch? Any other things I should be worried about at this power level?

An upper control arm would definitely help. Although, with the lower, you might not feel it as much. It's up to you whether it's worth the extra cost or not. Some people do it, some do not. http://www.vmpperformance.com/BMR-adjustable-upper-control-arm-2011-14-GT500-p/bmr-utca032.htm

56lb injectors are good in most cases, unless you decide to turn the boost up. If you did, you would have to move to ID1000's (e.g 2.4" upper, 10% lower). For the majority of combinations, they work perfectly. http://www.vmpperformance.com/56lb-hr-Fuel-Injectors-Set-of-8-GT500-p/56lbinj13-8.htm

With all the extra heat from the TVS, look into a heat exchanger. It'll help immensely to keep your IAT2's down, and your power more consistent.

Otherwise, it sounds like a good plan!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
OP, I recommend doing suspension work first. If I had it to do again, that's where I would start. Don't be like me and underestimate the difference that control arms make. After that, I'd start taking weight out of the car. This is easily done, and your car can still be 100% streetable. After that, I'd work on air cooling. THEN the power adders.

If you work smartly and diligently with suspension, weight and cooling, you may find you don't need/want to add power. I added power first, and the suspension quickly proved to be woefully inadequate to handle it. WOT blasts down the freeway were horrifying as the car literally skipped and hopped over road undulations.

rickrubin2

Established Member
Yes the first thing I will be purchasing is suspension and heat exchanger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
first thing you should do? forget any power mods, fix the problem is has = traction / tires lol.

you can throw all the power you want at it but if its got the stock shity eagle good year f1 tires its not gonna go anywhere even on stock power nvm adding more in power mods.

Throw a nice set of nittos or drag radial or larger tire.

If you want a regular nice tire for the street run a Bf Goodrich comp 2 tire or a set of the new mickey thompson tires or michelin pilot sport tires. then add power after you get traction lol

rickrubin2

Established Member
Like the Mickey Thompson et street radial. What's the biggest size I can fit on stock wheels?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Like the Mickey Thompson et street radial. What's the biggest size I can fit on stock wheels?

prob the factory size just better tire 285 or maybe 295? anything bigger I think you need a 10.5+ larger size rim to fit a 305-315 etc.

I would personally put a set of michelin pilot sport tires on it.

My friend that had a 2013 shelby had a pulley , intake, headers x pipe tune put down 740rwhp for ref. and he was scared to drive it with the stock tires on stock power nvm 740. so he put the michelin pilot tires on it he said it was night and day. he also had them on his zr1 corvette.

rickrubin2

Established Member
db2017239b1dc5028b59cec51e52de9a.jpg

Already got some goodies.
7c26e3a9b59553110ff3597b4f958d27.jpg

I also went with the 305/30/20 nitto nt555 g2 tires.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The car doesn't look lowered, so the relocation brackets aren't needed.

Users who are viewing this thread