New GT500 owner, few questions

98TA

South east of disorder
Established Member
Alright fellas, I finally made the plunge and picked up a bone stock 12 and I've spent the last 4 days researching myself crazy. I'm not going crazy with it just yet. I have the F2 blown Z06 for those days, but I also don't want just anybody to lay the smack down on me when out it the Shelby. For right now I want to keep it around 750-800rwhp(Yes I know that's pushing it on the stock shortblock). I will have a race gas and pump gas tune, I may even go ahead and build a fuel system for it and feed it some corn.

Here's a plan I have come up with so far.

4.0 Whipple, t/body and inlet. No idea what size t/body I need. Also what blower pulley size would I need to achieve the boost levels needed to reach my power goal. Do any of the idler pully's need to be upgraded? What about the stock crank pulley?
Why the 4.0? Go ahead and buy a blower that will handle whatever engine I throw at it later.

ID2000 injectors
Necessary fuel system upgrades wether that be race/pump gas or E85
What fuel system upgrades are required to support the power level I'm shooting for when using race gas/pump gas?

I know that if I go E85, there are several vendors selling complete return style kits with multiple in-tank pumps, and those are cool, but I like using a good sized in-tank and a big external pump (activated via a Hobbs switch) Have any of you big power guys gone this route?

Kooks 1-7/8" LT, O/R X pipe, Magnaflow catback

Clutch. No idea what the hot ticket clutch is for these cars
VMP Tuning afco h/e with dual fan and larger capacity tank
JLT oil seperators

Also in regards to tuning, do any of you guys have experience using HP Tuners on these cars? If so, pros and cons?
TIA

Last edited:

Blacksmoke

Established Member
HP tuners?
You need to just have it custom dyno tuned by a well known Mustang specialty shop
and have them save a copy of it on a SCT tuner.

Most places use SCT for these vehicles.

98TA

South east of disorder
Established Member
HP tuners?
You need to just have it custom dyno tuned by a well known Mustang specialty shop
and have them save a copy of it on a SCT tuner.

Most places use SCT for these vehicles.

You do know what HP Tuners software is don't you?

I would have it tuned by someone who knows their way around Mustangs, I'm just used to HP Tuners and logging with their software so would prefer to go that route if their stuff is up to snuff. If its not, then by all means I will go with the better option.

Van@RevanRacing

Can I recommend that we talk before you take the plunge all of this? Different perspective.................

Example. No on the ID2000's. ID 1300's are designed specifically for alcohol type fuels and can support very high horsepower levels when you decide to build a motor.

Just a thought.

Van
Revan Racing
561-445-7702

SuperFly03

Established Member
I would listen to Van. I am saving my pennies to give him some business in the future because how helpful he is. He will sell younthr right part even if its cheaper just because its right for your needs.

98TA

South east of disorder
Established Member
I have to disagree about the injectors. I run them in my vette and it's on E85. Tony at T1 Race development uses them in all his big power E85 and E98 GTR's. I also have many, many friends using them in their E85 and E98 powered cars. I have feeling that if they were not good for E, Tony would in no way want to use them in some of his $100,000 builds he does pretty regularly.

I will gladly give you a shout about my mod list and appreciate you chiming in. It's been many moons since I played with mod motor.

Van@RevanRacing

I have to disagree about the injectors. I run them in my vette and it's on E85. Tony at T1 Race development uses them in all his big power E85 and E98 GTR's. I also have many, many friends using them in their E85 and E98 powered cars. I have feeling that if they were not good for E, Tony would in no way want to use them in some of his $100,000 builds he does pretty regularly.

I will gladly give you a shout about my mod list and appreciate you chiming in. It's been many moons since I played with mod motor.

Even Tony at ID would tell you the new 1300's are the latest and greatest.

From a Mod Motor Tuning perspective with ethanol based fuels the 1300's kick the 2000's in the chin. No comparison. 1300's have much better drivability. One of the reason why they worked with Bosch to develop them and Paul knows his injectors. I look forward to speaking with you. :beer:

98TA

South east of disorder
Established Member
I'm with ya. I know the 1300's are top notch, guess I misunderstood you thinking you meant they wouldn't work on E. I actually have kick assdrive ability with them in my vette and it's got quite a bit of cam too boot. But I fully understand it's a lot different animal than the 5.4 we're discussing here.

What time do you get in the shop tomm am?

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Keith put down 1,026 RWHP with ID1000's at the recent MACA Dyno Day on E85. He is proof that you don't need ID2000's to get to your desired power levels.

[youtube_browser]qHtZWxHs4Lc[/youtube_browser]

brandonflood123

Established Member
i kinda like where this thread is going. im looking to get my 2010 gt500 in the 700-750rwhp/tq range but mostly i want it to be useable power not just a bragging number. i wanna build my car to run. you can have all this power and not have the ability to win races and thats what i dont want happening to me. hopefully some people chime in on their builds so i can take notes on how its done. the right way.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If you want to mix fuels at that level, do yourself a favor and get a ProEFI box in there. D3 in Texas can make you a harness and tune the car to drive better than stock. ProEFI gives you the option of running a FlexFuel sensor. It'll be a lot easier to tune the bigger injectors with it as well.

98TA

South east of disorder
Established Member
If you want to mix fuels at that level, do yourself a favor and get a ProEFI box in there. D3 in Texas can make you a harness and tune the car to drive better than stock. ProEFI gives you the option of running a FlexFuel sensor. It'll be a lot easier to tune the bigger injectors with it as well.

I know all about Pro EFI, my vette will be getting it next year!

98TA

South east of disorder
Established Member
Van, appreciate you taking the time to go over everything with me this morning. We will def be doing business in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread